Importing a Region B Player - Electrical converter needed?

I haven't read any of the other threads in this section, - so this may be obvious, but I would think the main difference between Europe & the US is the voltage 240v 50hz against 110v 60hz. You need to check whether any player you import has a switch on the back to change voltage, If not you need a device that converts the voltage to 220-240 volts from 110. The plug you linked is just the physical connector that allows you to use a US socket.

I believe if the player you buy is not switchable, you would need something like this .

Hope that helps!

Reactions: Wreck
I haven't read any of the other threads in this section, - so this may be obvious, but I would think the main difference between Europe & the US is the voltage 240v 50hz against 110v 60hz. You need to check whether any player you import has a switch on the back to change voltage, If not you need a device that converts the voltage to 220-240 volts from 110. The plug you linked is just the physical connector that allows you to use a US socket.

I believe if the player you buy is not switchable, you would need something like this .

Hope that helps!

Yup, I think you are right!

Hi Wreck, can't you just use a Region A player that has "switch" capabilities instead? There are some models out there that don't cost an arm and a leg, no?

Hi Wreck, can't you just use a Region A player that has "switch" capabilities instead? There are some models out there that don't cost an arm and a leg, no?

I'd like to see them. I havent searched hard, but last time I checked they were like $150 and up.

I think you can get a region B BD player for like 69GBP or less. I saw one on amz UK for 69.

Hey Wreck, ok, yes, that price is about right, though at some point there was an Insignia under $100 that could switch regions. The Region B player is not region switch capable, or is it? If it is, it doesn't matter obviously but, if it's not, then you still won't be able to play Region C discs (unless you don't care about this). We have 2 LG BH200's, but they're out of production now:( Good luck with the hunt!

Multi region players here in the UK are pretty pricey, a friend shopped around and found cheapest one at £320.00 EEK!, but this was a year or so ago so maybe there alot cheaper now.

Hey Wreck, ok, yes, that price is about right, though at some point there was an Insignia under $100 that could switch regions. The Region B player is not region switch capable, or is it? If it is, it doesn't matter obviously but, if it's not, then you still won't be able to play Region C discs (unless you don't care about this). We have 2 LG BH200's, but they're out of production now:( Good luck with the hunt!

I never really come across anything that is region C locked , plus I usually never find discs to be region A and B frinedly but then locked to C ... usually if its locked, its locked. I just dont buy many far east steelies ... and Japan is A.

I've just ordered a Technika BRSS10 from Tesco Direct reduced to £49.95, which, according to hacking forums is easily hacked with the remote to play all regions DVD & Blu-ray. Unfortunately Tesco don't post overseas, but the player may be available elsewhere. It is apparently also marketed as the Limit BDM100

Wreck, if the player Pmartin has mentioned is of interest, perhaps a UK member can assist you? Note, Tesco and other UK/Euro sites provide cash back via quidco.com, even to members outside of EU. I've used it for years (Like Ebates, Live Cash back now defunct, etc). Adds up if you shop at intl sites. Good luck!

Yes Wreck, If you're interested PM me. I'm going back to Spain next Tuesday, but should be able to arrange to get you one before I go. I'm picking mine up from my parent's local Tesco Direct collection store after 4pm UK time today (Friday).

Picked up the Technika player today, tried out the remote hack immediately...

Power on player
Open disc drawer
Press Set-up on remote
type 9113

Although a message is displayed top right of screen saying "Prohibited"
A new menu item appears below the Set-up option (can't remember what it said)
This allowed me to select any DVD region or region free PLUS blu-ray regions A, B or C.

Just need to get my first region "A" disc now to test!

Reactions: surfury