In the Company of Men (1997)

Lenny Nero

Cossack
Premium Supporter
Oct 1, 2013
5.00 star(s) Rating: 5.00/5 1 Votes
Title: In the Company of Men (1997)

Tagline: Are all men bastards...or just misunderstood?

Genre: Comedy, Drama

Director: Neil LaBute

Cast: Aaron Eckhart, Stacy Edwards, Matt Malloy, Michael Martin, Mark Rector, Chris Hayes, Jason Dixie, Emily Cline, Roxanne Butler, Tahirah Essix, Julia Henkel, Sara Pauley, Cheryl Russell, Jasen Savage, Lynette Smith

Release: 1997-03-28

Runtime: 97

Plot: Two business executives--one an avowed misogynist, the other recently emotionally wounded by his love interest--set out to exact revenge on the female gender by seeking out the most innocent, uncorrupted girl they can find and ruining her life.

This is one of a few dozen movies I listed in the Remain Unreleased on Blu-ray thread, it's already a 25th Anniversary this year, and there's still no disc anywhere in the world, as far as I'm aware.

IntheCompanyofMen02.jpg

I finally watched it in quasi-HD in an Amazon 1080p stream. Still looks a bit better, than my old DVD. But it's very hard to watch, it's an emotional torture, worse than any horror, that's why, even though it's one of my favorites, I haven't seen it in about 15 years. No matter how much of an asshole I am in general towards various groups of people, world events and such, when it's on a such intimate and personal level, as this, it pains me to see, especially that Stacy Edwards is 'my type' of a girl.

IntheCompanyofMen03.jpg

The film did teach me a couple maybe obvious, but important lessons, that girls do pick the prettier 'bad boy', and that 'nice guys' finish last. That people screw each other over, get away with it, and live happily ever after, while a sensible and sensitive person suffers. It prepared me for some life situations better, than most advice from parents or any kind of teachers. But it's still very disheartening to watch, and Chad must be one of the most evil characters ever.
- "But why?"
- "Because I could."

The movie in a nutshell (no spoilers):

Another thing is this film wouldn't be made today, no way. Though it was a very small, 'independent' feature then too, reportedly costing only $25,000 to make.

R1 DVD was initially a 'flipper', a DVD10 (that's single layer, dual sided, for those that forgot or missed that era entirely), don't know what's available now, and the 'fullscreen' 4:3 version was actually open matte:
IntheCompanyofMenComparison.jpg

Amazon transfer has some more video information on the top, than the widescreen on the left screenshot, same on the bottom, fills the entire 1.77 screen.

DVD also has 2 great audio commentaries, first with the writer-director Neil LaBute and Aaron Eckhart, second with all 3 main actors, including Stacy Edwards (who is not really deaf) and Matt Maloy.
Director's follow-up, Your Friends and Neighbors, has double the amount of characters, but is just as good and brutal (and also not available on disc in HD).

Reactions: Kizersouze
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database