Cossack
Premium Supporter
Oct 1, 2013
5.00 star(s) Rating: 5.00/5 2 Votes
Title: Your Friends & Neighbors (1998)

Tagline: A modern immorality tale.

Genre: Drama, Comedy

Director: Neil LaBute

Cast: Amy Brenneman, Aaron Eckhart, Ben Stiller, Nastassja Kinski, Jason Patric, Catherine Keener, Lola Glaudini, Josh Dotson

Release: 1998-02-04

Runtime: 100

Plot: This adult comedy follows six characters, three men and three women from a cross-section of social groups, as they play sexual power games. When an affair fires up between 2 of the married characters, it sparks a chain of consequences for all of them, including one of the wives falling for another woman!

Neil LaBute's second film, also still unreleased on BD, but available in HD on Peacock. At least that's where my 1080p rip is from - I have a DVD, and will buy on Blu-ray, if it ever comes out.
The whole thing is about sex, and not just 'traditional', it's very frank, rude, and 'in-your-face', so some may not find it their 'cup of tea'.

YourFriendsandNeighbors01.jpg

The cast here is awesome, I mean not only I love all 6 of them, after being introduced to some of them here for the first time, like Nastassja Kinski (Terminal Velocity, One Night Stand), and subsequently grew up on their movies, they're cast perfectly for their roles! Especially Amy Brenneman, primarily a TV actress, who you don't see enough in movies, besides this and Heat. She's so great, can portray so much with just a facial expression and gestures - some painfully funny moments here.
Jason Patric (Rush, Sleepers) plays a version of Chad from director's previous film, a highly misogynistic, egocentric, narcissistic guy that does and says some horrible things.
Aaron Eckhart (Molly, Thursday) is here too, but just a year later and gotten a little fatter, he plays an entirely different character, a mustachioed doofus, which shows how different he can be.
Ben Stiller is in his 'emploi', trademark neurotic and annoying self. Gotta say I knew him first exactly for more dramatic roles, such as this, and in Permanent Midnight, Reality Bites, The Cable Guy, Zero Effect...
After Nicole Holofcener's Walking and Talking, and this film, also became a fan of Catherine Keener, she's perfect in this.

YourFriendsandNeighbors02.jpg

"F@€×ing is f@€×ing, it's not a time for sharing"

Some scenes were filmed in the legendary, and I believe still open to this day, store Book Soup on Sunset, same as Mike Figgis' experimental and genius one-take movie TimeCode.

Reactions: Kizersouze
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database