Independence Day: 20th Anniversary Edition (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

snooloui

The 'Negative' Ninja
Premium Supporter
Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: May 30, 2016
Purchase link: Independence Day: 20th Anniversary Edition
Price: £15.99
Notes: 2 Disc Edition

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet-looking steelbook :thumbs:
High quality 2 BD presentation and possibly the best edition we'll ever have here in steelbook packaging.

Don't know how much the original changes hands for nowadays but I believe it was priced roughly the same as this at pre-order - if true, this one looks an OK price . . . with nicer "space" colouring and artwork (more CLOSE ENCOUNTERS / STARGATE than WAR OF THE WORLDS) as well as having re-mastered and extra content.

Regarding Extended vs. Theatrical: There are NO juicy bits missing in the TC only to be found in the EC and both cuts were passed PG-13.
Some will say you can't have too much "Independence Day" but others will say at over two hours - 144.37 mins - standard runtime you can keep the extra 8.5 minutes of the Extended which anyway only consists of: 1 scene with alternate footage, 2 extended scenes with alternate footage, 5 additional scenes and 7 extended scenes taking the total time to about 153 mins - all plot scenes designed to deepen characterisation or help the story.

Definite blockbusting entertainment with several spectacular and memorable scenes but not one of my favourites from Mr. Emmerich and I admit to preferring his other world-in-peril saga "The Day After Tomorrow" to this.

Regarding the finish: One thing I feel about the finish is that it should not obscure all the tiny details on the underside of the craft and if that means "sparing the gloss" then so be it.

Regarding 'bossing: With no framing border that I can see embossing looks like a "No".
De-bossing of the ID 4 would be perfect and I hope it'll not simply be a case of glossing the title as on the original.

Last edited:
Most of UK Fox steelbooks have been a matte finish
There though has been few unexpected ones that was full gloss finish with embossing
Some of the matte finish steelbooks some have been very good

The Mock up images from Fox have mostly have not shown any borders to show there might be embossing or debossing when the actual steelbook of other releases has had title embossed or debossed

How this will look will not be known until someone gets the steelbook
Hopefully it will be a gloss finish or spot gloss