paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: November 2, 2020
Purchase links: Amazon UK - HMV - Zavvi
Price: £25.00 (Amazon) - £24.99 (HMV - Zavvi)

91GjWv9YIYL._AC_SY445_.jpg

Last edited:
Try picking up the UK release from 2010. It has the colourised version included.

More of a curiosity than anything but still nice to have nevertheless.

Really like the steelbook. Could have done without the printing error on the blu ray though.
Yep, definitely want to see it just for curiosity's sake. Whenever I watch a b&w film I always wonder what colour certain things actually are (mainly clothing) lol.

Yep, definitely want to see it just for curiosity's sake. Whenever I watch a b&w film I always wonder what colour certain things actually are (mainly clothing) lol.
One year we watched the B&W, and then told the kids about the colorizing fad and how this move had been colorized. We put on that version, expecting to watch a few minutes and find it laughably bad. But you know...as much as we wanted to despise it, it's actually pretty good. :) Completely unnecessary, and why would anyone ever choose it over the B&W, but it looks good.

One year we watched the B&W, and then told the kids about the colorizing fad and how this move had been colorized. We put on that version, expecting to watch a few minutes and find it laughably bad. But you know...as much as we wanted to despise it, it's actually pretty good. :) Completely unnecessary, and why would anyone ever choose it over the B&W, but it looks good.
I hear ya... as sacrilegious as it may sound, there's nothing wrong with at least giving it a go! I mean, the re-score of Drive by Zane Lowe sounded awful on paper, yet I still gave that a watch, despite knowing I'd absolutely hate it (I did).

I hear ya... as sacrilegious as it may sound, there's nothing wrong with at least giving it a go! I mean, the re-score of Drive by Zane Lowe sounded awful on paper, yet I still gave that a watch, despite knowing I'd absolutely hate it (I did).
I think the issue is that they're doing it without the director's permission and instead of trying to get people interested in older B&W films they think the solution is to just add colour. Despite the massive amount of work that goes in filming and lighting in B&W.

Imagine if studios thought it was a good idea to add sound to silent films to get people interested. it's just kinda stupid and unecessary. And I think the fact that this film is still hugely popular and a yearly watch for many goes to show you don't need to add colour to get people interested in B&W films.

I think the issue is that they're doing it without the director's permission and instead of trying to get people interested in older B&W films they think the solution is to just add colour. Despite the massive amount of work that goes in filming and lighting in B&W.

Imagine if studios thought it was a good idea to add sound to silent films to get people interested. it's just kinda stupid and unecessary. And I think the fact that this film is still hugely popular and a yearly watch for many goes to show you don't need to add colour to get people interested in B&W films.
I agree wholeheartedly. Kinda ironic how they've done a 180 and are now re-releasing modern movies in b&w lol.

Reactions: MrSquifler
Now it's not colorizing, but 3D conversion. I remember several years ago, when 3D was getting to be a thing again, George Lucas and Peter Jackson and other directors were saying all the old classic movies would soon be converted to 3D. It hasn't happened yet, either because of common sense or because of Lucas's surprise that audiences weren't super-excited for The Phantom Menace in 3D. :)

Reactions: MrSquifler
There's plenty of sound in silent movies ... sometimes a whole orchestra.

Also, nothing wrong with colourising B&W movies and documentaries (WW II in colour, for example) IMO and so much easier to do nowadays than hand painting every frame as before . . . you just have to watch Georges Melies' A TRIP TO THE MOON to appreciate what can be done today ...

... plus it's another option for folks that think they hate B&W and, who knows, after watching the colourised version they might actually give the B&W original a go and even appreciate it more than they ever thought they would.

On the one hand, maybe great for CASABLANCA and IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE but, on the other hand, maybe not such a great idea for DOUBLE INDEMNITY and films of that ilk.

Reactions: goufcustom
There's plenty of sound in silent movies ... sometimes a whole orchestra.

Also, nothing wrong with colourising B&W movies and documentaries (WW II in colour, for example) IMO and so much easier to do nowadays than hand painting every frame as before . . . you just have to watch Georges Melies' A TRIP TO THE MOON to appreciate what can be done today ...

... plus it's another option for folks that think they hate B&W and, who knows, after watching the colourised version they might actually give the B&W original a go and even appreciate it more than they ever thought they would.

On the one hand, maybe great for CASABLANCA and IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE but, on the other hand, maybe not such a great idea for DOUBLE INDEMNITY and films of that ilk.

I have to disagree if the directors wanted it to be in colour then fair enough, if not just leave it alone. As for sound in silent movies, well, that's pretty different as you're talking about scores for movies that never technically had them. They used to have players sit in the theatre and just play tunes and sounds to try and match the film. Sometimes sound effects.

Films should be preserved, but not changed. Also, A Trip To The Moon was originally supposed to be in colour but the print was lost and burned by either the French Ministry or Melies himself. It was later rediscovered and restored.