James Horner, Film Composer of Titanic dies

denizen

The Shadow Ninja
Premium Supporter
Nov 13, 2012
South Africa
James Horner, Film Composer for 'Titanic' and 'Braveheart,' Dies in Plane Crash

James Horner, the consummate film composer known for his heart-tugging scores for Field of Dreams, Braveheart and Titanic, for which he won two Academy Awards, died Monday in a plane crash near Santa Barbara. He was 61.

His death was confirmed by Sylvia Patrycja, who is identified on Horner's film music page as his assistant.

"We have lost an amazing person with a huge heart and unbelievable talent," Patrycja wrote on Facebook on Monday. "He died doing what he loved. Thank you for all your support and love and see you down the road."

Horner was piloting the small aircraft when it crashed into a remote area about 60 miles north of Santa Barbara, officials said. An earlier report noted that the plane, which was registered to the composer, had gone down, but the pilot had not been identified.
ap120327147274.jpg

For his work on the 1997 best picture winner Titanic, directed by James Cameron, Horner captured the Oscar for original dramatic score, and he nabbed another Academy Award for original song (shared with lyricist Will Jennings) for “My Heart Will Go On,” performed by Celine Dion.

“My job — and it’s something I discuss with Jim all the time — is to make sure at every turn of the film it’s something the audience can feel with their heart,” Horner said in a 2009 interview with the Los Angeles Times. “When we lose a character, when somebody wins, when somebody loses, when someone disappears — at all times I’m keeping track, constantly, of what the heart is supposed to be feeling. That is my primary role.”

His score for Titanic sold a whopping 27 million copies worldwide.

His fruitful partnership with Cameron also netted him Oscar noms for original score for the blockbusters Aliens (1986) and Avatar (2009). The pair reportedly were also at work on Avatar sequels.

The Los Angeles native earned 10 Oscar noms in all, also being recognized for his work on two other best picture winners: Braveheart (1995) and A Beautiful Mind (2001). He also received noms for An American Tail (1986), Field of Dreams (1989), Apollo 13 (1995) and House of Sand and Fog (2003).

Always busy, Horner has three films coming out soon: Southpaw, the boxing drama that stars Jake Gyllenhaal and Rachel McAdams and is due in theaters in July; Jean-Jacques Annaud’s Wolf Totem, out in September; and The 33, a drama based on the 2010 mining disaster in Chile that’s set for November.

His lengthy film résumé includes The Lady in Red (1979), Wolfen (1981), Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982) and Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (1983), Red Heat (1988), Glory (1989), The Rocketeer (1991), Patriot Games (1992), Searching for Bobby Fischer (1993), Jumanji (1995), How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000), Troy (2004) and The Amazing Spider-Man (2012).

His father was two-time Oscar-winning art director/set designer Harry Horner (The Heiress, The Hustler).

This freakin' kills me. My brother texted me this while I was sleeping and I just woke up. I can't believe it. What a tragic way for one the most talented composers in the world to die. :(

Reading the headlines this morning hit me like a ton of bricks :( RIP James Horner, One of the most talented film composers EVER! Your music will never be forgotten...

RIP.JPG

One of my favorites of his :drool: :headphone:

Reactions: kbr1656
I can't help thinking that maybe these guys should stop flying their own planes. This is getting ridiculous how often this keeps happening.
For those who thought it unusual that Alexandre Desplat was up for TWO Oscars for Best Score last year-
Jame Horner did it in 1995. He was up for both BRAVEHEART and APOLLO 13. (Il Postino Composer Luis Enrique Bacalov won- probably because Horner split his own votes.)
Thanks for tons of memorable music. I know your cues so well...

Rest Well Legend.... 5 years ago...

iconic scores!

found the post while searching something else and given that braveheart is my fav movie of all time felt I needed to put something in here!