UK
4.14 star(s) Rating: 4.14/5 14 Votes
Title: Joker - In theaters October 4, 2019

Tagline: Put on a happy face.

Genre: Crime, Drama, Thriller

Director: Todd Phillips

Cast: Joaquin Phoenix

Release: 2019-10-04

Plot: A failed stand-up comedian is driven insane and becomes a psychopathic murderer.

1554301625020.gif

Calling it ... and the Oscar goes to Joaquin Phoenix :notworthy::cigar: Heath would be very proud. Damn this is going to be epic and what I’m hearing it’s going to be a hard R! DC have another winner on their hands and one of the best trailers I’ve seen in quite awhile :drool: Loving this new direction for DC Films how they are focused on being director driven so they can bring their own style and talents to their films so the DCEU can have great diversity plus range so they aren’t locked into one familiar tone of style of film.

I reckon that's Bruce at 1.47

The trailer is amazing. If the film is as good as the trailer then DC have had a very impressive 12 months.

Well spotted :watch: as that is actually lil Brucey Boy played by Dante Pereira-Olson. Trailer is absolutely amazing definitely had to give it a few rewatches :joy:. Your quite right DC have a very impressive 12 months ahead for them with Shazam!, Joker then Birds of Prey (which is also Hard R! :joy::drool:) and then Wonder Woman 1984. DC are on fire with this line up then in 2021 we have Reeve’s Batman and Gunn’s The Suicide Squad. So much to look forward and can’t wait for it all to play out :D:joy::drool:

While this does look very good, I kind of feel the same way about it that I did about the Gotham tv show when it came out.
It will always feel like its lacking something because Batman isn't in it.

It does make me sad that this is just a one time thing too. It makes it harder to be invested.
How awesome would it have been if this was our Joker going forward into Matt Reeve's Batman film. Then I would be more excited.

The irony of Thomas Wayne saying about Joker hiding behind a mask.

Double irony is that its played by Brett Cullen who was also in The Dark Knight Rises.

How awesome would it have been if this was our Joker going forward into Matt Reeve's Batman film. Then I would be more excited.
There was a rumour that he'd have a small part in Birds of Prey... obviously that's yet to be seen, but hopefully we'll eventually get to see more of him!

Sadly that's the Leto Joker and not this one.
Oh? The rumour I read said it was Phoenix... although I should've guessed as much, what with them recently announcing that Jai Courtney would also return.

Sadly that's the Leto Joker and not this one.

But Leto is filming Morbius and those leaked photo's you don't actually see the actors face (AFAIK) so I reckon while it may be Leto's version of the Joker it may be another actor playing him

Yeah it's likely a double and they get Leto to record a few lines of audio to add in post production.

I’m pretty positive your bang on the money with that combo as there is a pretty strong rumour going round that Leto is going to be just doing a voiceover due to filming scheduling with Morbius and be added post.

There actually would be a really cool way to connect everything...
THIS Joker is the Original. And Leto's Joker is actually Robin (who we think died with that suit in BvS) but was actually turned into another version of the Joker BY the Joker.
Thats what I would have done.
But seems like the whole DCEU is kind of scrapped now?

But seems like the whole DCEU is kind of scrapped now?

WB is planning to “de-emphasize” the DCEU across their films and make it more about Director Driven DC Character/s Films (and their Universe for eg. The Bat Family / “Gothamverse”) that technically live within the same DCEU. Which is great to see as Warner is learning from their mistakes and given more faith and trust with their directors that can be seen in “The Conjuring Universe Directors” simply amazing films of Wann’s Aquaman and Sandberg’s Shazam!

Where with the new Joker film its non canon and part of the tentative label DC Dark or DC Black (last I heard). The reason behind this is so DC can start up a somewhat sub franchise / alternate universe so directors can make films with artistic freedom that aren’t connected with continuity or beholden to films in the DCEU. This direction leads into what theve done already with their comic books with the label ‘Elseworlds’ where the stories aren’t bound to the main universe and can be seperate canon think Flashpoint. Just like this Joker movie it’s a character study film that explores his decent into madness something wheve never quite seen before as The Joker has always just existed, quite genius actually as it’s always been about The Batman and the strong chemistry that these two have.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Noodles and vexred
I still can't believe the guy who's directing this is the same guy who directed The Hangover, Old School, Road Trip, Starsky & Hutch, Due Date etc.

Thanks for the tag @harry! Looks ok but I’m not sold on it yet. The trailer does look different to what I was expecting though. I will be interested to see what the reception is.

• Thanks
Reactions: harry