UK
4.14 star(s) Rating: 4.14/5 14 Votes
Title: Joker - In theaters October 4, 2019

Tagline: Put on a happy face.

Genre: Crime, Drama, Thriller

Director: Todd Phillips

Cast: Joaquin Phoenix

Release: 2019-10-04

Plot: A failed stand-up comedian is driven insane and becomes a psychopathic murderer.

Yeah DC clearly don't have a major plan or know what they are doing tbh. They started well with man of steel IMO but then they were f*cked straight after with BvS (although the directors cut is better), SS is just f*cking awful except one character, WW was them picking it back up but I'm not sure it will last long. JL looks good tbh but then so did the trailer for BvS lol plus all the reshoots don't sound promising and apparently the studio was really not happy with the rough cut they've seen!, up for a batman solo but now that sounds messed up. Really not up for a flash solo because I'm not really a fan of the character and directors keep dropping like flies, aquaman sounds like such a sh*t character to me and I'm not a fan of him BUT he looks decent in JL so maybe the solo film will be decent like WW. Green lantern if that happens will no doubt follow he curse and turn out to be rubbish and the rest of their plans they have announced will no doubt change and have directors come and go, reshoots when thy finish filming etc etc etc

As for this, I'm oddly excited by Todd Philips and Scorsese working together. Could be a strange winning formula lol
I love MoS, BvS and WW, but they've certainly messed up with the order of what they've released so far... plus the fact they're already concentrating on doing origin films (that apparently aren't even connected to the DCEU) whilst the DCEU has only just begun. Again, I have no real issues with the films themselves, and most films have reshoots nowadays, so I'm not worried about that... it's just the lack of order with everything that's putting me off.

How do you mean Green Lantern is cursed by the way?

• Thanks
Reactions: Flloydo
I love MoS, BvS and WW, but they've certainly messed up with the order of what they've released so far... plus the fact they're already concentrating on doing origin films (that apparently aren't even connected to the DCEU) whilst the DCEU has only just begun. Again, I have no real issues with the films themselves, and most films have reshoots nowadays, so I'm not worried about that... it's just the lack of order with everything that's putting me off.

How do you mean Green Lantern is cursed by the way?

I have no issue with reshoots either but when it comes to DC it concerns me lol

Yeah why plan a solo origin film with batman and the same actor but it's not part of the DCEU lol classic WB

Because the original green lantern was awful and IMO he's a terrible character. Same goes for aquaman and flash IMO but at least aquaman does look decent in JL and flash could work from what I've seen

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
I have no issue with reshoots either but when it comes to DC it concerns me lol

Yeah why plan a solo origin film with batman and the same actor but it's not part of the DCEU lol classic WB

Because the original green lantern was awful and IMO he's a terrible character. Same goes for aquaman and flash IMO but at least aquaman does look decent in JL and flash could work from what I've seen
Hmm the news about the solo movie makes me think those rumours about Batfleck dropping out could be true. :ohno:

Green Lantern was awful, but that was just one film, so the character certainly isn't cursed... yet! Unlike the Hulk anyway (got to get my dig at Marvel in here somewhere). :p

I understand why people would find Aquaman to sound terrible, because on paper he definitely looks that way... but I reckon most will be pleasantly surprised by him, especially with Momoa portraying the character. Put it this way... the Earth is covered by about 70% water, and Aquaman rules it all! :OMG:

As for Flash... I think he looks awesome and hilarious, so I can't wait to see him in action. :D

I'm all good with this and the Batman news. Not everything needs to be connected to a wider universe. Like with the comics there are multiple takes on Batman and at different stages of life. Joker is an iconic villain, a stand alone origins could be cool. I don't think Affleck will be Batman after JL. Reeves can probably cast a new Batman and maybe introduce Nightwing.

Hmm the news about the solo movie makes me think those rumours about Batfleck dropping out could be true. :ohno:

Green Lantern was awful, but that was just one film, so the character certainly isn't cursed... yet! Unlike the Hulk anyway (got to get my dig at Marvel in here somewhere). :p

I understand why people would find Aquaman to sound terrible, because on paper he definitely looks that way... but I reckon most will be pleasantly surprised by him, especially with Momoa portraying the character. Put it this way... the Earth is covered by about 70% water, and Aquaman rules it all! :OMG:

As for Flash... I think he looks awesome and hilarious, so I can't wait to see him in action. :D

I'm not sure about affleck dropping out (again) because I see the interview with casey where it stirred up again and he's clearly taking the p*ss. I swear he even says he made that up straight after

Haha, he's cursed to me. Lol yeah but I'm being like that toward lantern because I can't stand the character, whereas I've always liked hulk and I kinda liked the bana version on the first watch (I was young) but yeah that is sh*t. I like the Norton version too but it's not great. Luckily they have perfected him now but like I said I've always liked him unlike lantern.
I've said it a million times but with DC I'm a batman fan and prefer his world and villains compared to the rest. I can handle supes but anything after that isn't really me.
I enjoyed WW (thought that was going to be sh*t tbh), I do like the look of aquaman and cyborg in the JL trailer and flash looks cool and I like the look of the CGI with his speed etc but hilarious.... No.
We spoke about this before but I genuinely don't understand what your finding funny about him. He literally says one funny-ish thing. Not saying he won't be funny in the final cut but so far he's had one funny(ish) line in the trailer so I find it hard to say hilarious

Yeah I think momoa will smash aquaman and he will be a hit. I just hope JL is decent because I actually like the look it. Marvel did it right with a slower run to avenger. DC made mom of steel and then went balls deep with too many characters in SS and even in BvS, or too much action maybe in that.

They should of followed marvels formula with more solo films first. Made MOS, then WW, then a batman solo, then MOS 2 (or that before batman solo) then BvS bringing those 3 together and then JL with introducing cyborg, flash and aquaman properly (after the snippets from BvS). Cancelled SS or released it at a later date (after the batman solo film). So simular to marvel except they had 3 solo character films (4 if counting iron man 2) and then avanagers bringing them all and others together and the difference with DC would of been 3 solo films, 1 bringing 3 together (BvS) and then justice league to bring the rest togther.

I do enjoy BvS extended cut but it was too soon and they should of done a solo batman and supes sequel before that. Oh and cast someone else as lex Jr. Lol

I've read similar comments to this today, but he has an origin story in the comics.
Characters like The Joker or Hannibal Lector or Michael Myers or Norman Bates are scarier as enigmas.
It completely ruins it if you find out - Oh, the Joker was an abused child of an alcoholic abusive father who forced him to watch comedy cartoons with clowns.
I don't wanna have a Joker who is the way he is because he is actually a "victim". Lame.

• Thanks
Reactions: kaw
Killing Joke is a Joker Origin Story for example.
There the Comic and the animated Movie, i don't think that this will be a good movie or a great origin story for whatever DC Movie Universe.

I've read similar comments to this today, but he has an origin story in the comics.

He's had quite a few

Even dark knight kind of explores a few of them

Edit: just seen its already been said lol

He's had quite a few

Even dark knight kind of explores a few of them

Edit: just seen its already been said lol
The point of the stories in the Dark Knight is that he is lying about his history.
The Joker is an unreliable narrator.
And I take the comic origin stories as "what if?" stories. (like the Elseworlds)
There is no consensus origin story.

• Thanks
The point of the stories in the Dark Knight is that he is lying about his history.
The Joker is an unreliable narrator.
And I take the comic origin stories as "what if?" stories. (like the Elseworlds)
There is no consensus origin story.

I've actually spoke about this a lot over the years with friends etc and I like to think one of them is actually true. Or he's ex military because of the shooting Gordon scene and how tactical he is with plans etc

Whatever it is he has to have a back story or origin in general and although I love his mystery if they do explore that in a film then some will love it and some will hate the idea. At the end of the day it's a film, who cares. If it's good then great if it's not then it's another failure (and I don't just mean for DC, I mean in general ether of failure films)

The DC films are already rocky and I can happily forget suicide squad so if this is bad I'll forget this too like I have with batman forever and batman and robin.

....so if this is bad I'll forget this too like I have with batman forever and batman and robin.
You don't get off that easy!!:LOL:
Let's burn that back into your brain shall we?!!:D
IMG_12808f7e5.gif

• Thanks
From HR:

Joaquin Phoenix is starring as the iconic villain in the Warner Bros. and DC film, which has gotten its official title — 'Joker.'

Director Todd Phillips' stand-alone Joker movie, starring Joaquin Phoenix, is set to hit theaters Oct. 4, 2019, Warner Bros. and Village Roadshow said late Wednesday afternoon.

The release date, and title, were revealed just as this year's edition of the ultimate fanboy gathering — Comic-Con — got underway in San Diego. Warners and DC will take the stage there on Saturday.
October 2019 boasts a slew of high-profile titles. Joker will open opposite Paramount's Gemini Man and Fox's The Woman in the Window, followed a week later by Disney's Jungle Cruise starring Dwayne Johnson and fellow Warners title The Goldfinch. And on Nov. 1, DC and Warners will unfurl Wonder Woman 2.

Last month, Phoenix finalized his deal to star as the arch-nemesis of Batman. The studio describes Phillips' film as being an “exploration of a man disregarded by society [that] is not only a gritty character study, but also a broader cautionary tale.” Phillips and Scott Silver co-wrote the script.
Joker's budget is in the $55 million range, significantly lower than the tentpoles that dominate the form. And the movie, set to begin production later this year, is meant to be darker and more experimental in tone and content (at least as experimental as a studio can be with established brands such as DC), which is described as being akin to a crime drama.​

Much smaller budget and experimental… hum...

Reactions: Noodles