Life (Blu-ray SteelBook) [UK]

Strangerbyday

Premium Supporter
Jun 4, 2015
Ireland
Release date: July 31st, 2017
Purchase links: Zavvi - Zoom - HMV - Amazon UK
Price: £21.99 (Zavvi) - £20.00 (Zoom) - £19.99 (HMV - Amazon)

11431074-3134470814755333.jpg

11431074-4354470814797021.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very annoyed at the amount of sh*t this film is getting

(This is spoiler free FYI)

For some stupid reason i decided to look at reviews from critics and the public after I watched this (something I don't normally do) it's been ripped to shreds and keeps being compared to alien!! It's nothing like alien and a fantastic sci fi horror IMO, I thought this was excellent

And the other stuff people are complaining about makes no sense - it's like they never even watched the same film saying the creature is flawed!! No it's not

the lifeform is one of the best I've seen in a long time - evil clever little b*stard

And the way i see it is the creators can make the thing do what they want considering it's a original and exclusive being to this film and universe

@tridon i know you enjoyed it, not sure if you feel the same?

Rant over lol and I can't wait to own this. Got it pre ordered for now but would happily take a premium even with the same steel - i like it
still very much looking forward to seeing this, havent been this excited about a sc-fi since prometheus, and couldnt ask for a better cast,

• Thanks
Reactions: Flloydo
still very much looking forward to seeing this, havent been this excited about a sc-fi since prometheus, and couldnt ask for a better cast,

Yea I loved it, it's chilling too, and a great cast like you said, I think everyone is top notch in this

I love alien but I still found it to be a very different film - maybe that's just me though, but alien is so loved that it will put people off if you compare the two - I think some people just jump on bandwagons and because of the nature of the film it's annoyed them for some silly reason - when I was reading the reviews it was all moaning about certain things and flaws but if they actually watched the film they would be answering their own comments and questions!!

It's also constantly being compared to interstellar, gravity and arrival - all 3 of those films and this are such different sci fi films too that I can't even compare the 3 above really but of course they are sci fi so it's easy for people to compare them all plus it's where they are modern - although Gravity might look the best out the bunch I think I prefer this but I like them all tbh

Ones a Space exploring epic journey with wormholes and searching for a new earth home with psychological elements, ones a survival non stop roller coaster for a single person who goes through hell, ones a psychological thinker art house esque with friendly aliens that's extremely grounded and completely set on earth with war themes and this is survival sci fi horror for a team looking for life on Mars set in one location

I also liked Prometheus even though that got a lot of sh*t by critics too. And I can't wait for covenant

• Thanks
Reactions: yardman and tridon
Very annoyed at the amount of sh*t this film is getting

(This is spoiler free FYI)

For some stupid reason i decided to look at reviews from critics and the public after I watched this (something I don't normally do) it's been ripped to shreds and keeps being compared to alien!! It's nothing like alien and a fantastic sci fi horror IMO, I thought this was excellent

And the other stuff people are complaining about makes no sense - it's like they never even watched the same film saying the creature is flawed!! No it's not

the lifeform is one of the best I've seen in a long time - evil clever little b*stard

And the way i see it is the creators can make the thing do what they want considering it's a original and exclusive being to this film and universe

@tridon i know you enjoyed it, not sure if you feel the same?

Rant over lol and I can't wait to own this. Got it pre ordered for now but would happily take a premium even with the same steel - i like it

I enjoyed the hell out of this film. I liked Prometheus, but this film is much, much better. The cast is great, the creature design is great, and it deserves more recognition. It's generic title ('Life') and the fact that it released only a few months before Alien: Covenant hurt it greatly. R-rated sci-fi/horror doesn't come along very often anymore and it when it does, it gets the shaft like this film. If people like the genre, they should support it.

• Thanks
I enjoyed the hell out of this film. I liked Prometheus, but this film is much, much better. The cast is great, the creature design is great, and it deserves more recognition. It's generic title ('Life') and the fact that it released only a few months before Alien: Covenant hurt it greatly. R-rated sci-fi/horror doesn't come along very often anymore and it when it does, it gets the shaft like this film. If people like the genre, they should support it.

Bang on :thumbs:

Yeah like we mentioned before in another thread - I agree with you on the title issue. You mentioned marketing before too and think your right even though it was advertised a lot in the U.K. But now I think about it only for a week or 2

Shame really

The creature is so bad ass (I don't say that term often lol) and is up there with the zenomorph for me in terms of pure evil and design (sh*t did I just compare it to alien :LOL:)

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon
Oh, no you didn't!

tumblr_lp4r45FolJ1r0ojhto1_400.gif

:LOL:

Have you seen the interview with Reynolds and gyllenhall where they just can't contain themselves. It's brilliant

Also I just noticed I wrote this in the Italian thread

"I just hope this don't rip off alien too much"

:hilarious: Oh dear!! Lol I don't even remember typing that!

And it didn't at all so good lol

The film is brilliant, the final form of the alien is amazing, the climax and ending is near perfect and the first 30 mins are insanely tense.

It has a feel like a mixture of event horizon, sunshine, pandorum, leviathan and virus, all films I really like.

• Thanks
The film is brilliant, the final form of the alien is amazing, the climax and ending is near perfect and the first 30 mins are insanely tense.

It has a feel like a mixture of event horizon, sunshine, pandorum, leviathan and virus, all films I really like.

Very intense

That final scene :OMG:

Perfect

I've not seen leviathan - I'll have a ganders but I love 3 of the others you say, event horizon was one of my favourites growing up. Not massive on virus but I appreciate it if that makes sense

Edit: do you mean "the leviathan" that cool short 5 min film with the flying beast of the Russian drama?

I've seen that short before and it's fecking epic!

Last edited:
Yea I loved it, it's chilling too, and a great cast like you said, I think everyone is top notch in this

I love alien but I still found it to be a very different film - maybe that's just me though, but alien is so loved that it will put people off if you compare the two - I think some people just jump on bandwagons and because of the nature of the film it's annoyed them for some silly reason - when I was reading the reviews it was all moaning about certain things and flaws but if they actually watched the film they would be answering their own comments and questions!!

It's also constantly being compared to interstellar, gravity and arrival - all 3 of those films and this are such different sci fi films too that I can't even compare the 3 above really but of course they are sci fi so it's easy for people to compare them all plus it's where they are modern - although Gravity might look the best out the bunch I think I prefer this but I like them all tbh

Ones a Space exploring epic journey with wormholes and searching for a new earth home with psychological elements, ones a survival non stop roller coaster for a single person who goes through hell, ones a psychological thinker art house esque with friendly aliens that's extremely grounded and completely set on earth with war themes and this is survival sci fi horror for a team looking for life on Mars set in one location

I also liked Prometheus even though that got a lot of sh*t by critics too. And I can't wait for covenant
thanks for the insight appreciated, and like you i also enjoyed prometheus, i classed it as a stand alone sci-fi movie and not comparing to the originals,:thumbs:

• Thanks
Very intense

That final scene :OMG:

Perfect

I've not seen leviathan - I'll have a ganders but I love 3 of the others you say, event horizon was one of my favourites growing up. Not massive on virus but I appreciate it if that makes sense

Edit: do you mean "the leviathan" that cool short 5 min film with the flying beast of the Russian drama?

I've seen that short before and it's fecking epic!

No, this Leviathan.

• Helpful Post
No, this Leviathan.

Ohhh, i was well off then lol

I've never seen that, great cast too. Loads of faces poping up and just from the trailer I get what you mean

That short is awesome too though (director of the short was supposed to make a Akira live action I think)

• Helpful Post
Reactions: Lukesablade
Very happy this looks gloss,

Love the art anyway and of course the film. Will keep my order with 10% off from zoom unless i hear word of a premium

Reactions: lgans316
Watched this today and Wow what a great film, what i dont like is the current price. Any info on print run?

You can get it for £18 from zoom with the code

Which is about right for a new film on steel

Although I wouldn't grumble at £14.99 lol

Reactions: karl01