Lost in Translation (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

Strangerbyday

Premium Supporter
Jun 4, 2015
Ireland
Release date: December 11, 2017
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre-order Sunday, November 12 @ around 6PM GMT)
Price: £15.99

23244531_10154757226315146_7258986358230775809_n.jpg

11573115-1714523477598642.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Never actually seen this film yet....but is this popular enough to have a steelbook released for it ?, oh wait it's a Zavvi release....anything goes with them these days.

But seriously, I need to see this film, people keep banging on about it.

I need to try again...I think I watched 25 minutes and got easily distracted.

The more I look I think the back should be the front but I’ll be pre ordering regardless

• Thanks
Reactions: BluSteel2012
The internet tells me he says, rather anticlimactically

"I have to be leaving, but I won't let that come between us. Okay?"

I never believed this. You weren't really supposed to make out the words anyways.. hence the reason they didn't add subtitles to it. Definitely a fill in the blanks (or keep it blank if you prefer) yourself movie moment.

Feel like the steel deserves better art but at least one is actually happening. Hopefully we see a few more on the horizon. I still prefer my Japanese DVD art.

lost_in_translation_collection_by_ahlberg.jpg

(not my photo)

I agree the front and back should be swapped. It’s also a bit drab, considering the location of the film (and how prominently the Tokyo neon-nightlife/cityscape was featured).

I’m definitely going to need @virkia to provide an in-depth analysis of this particular shade of brown—using only lipstick as a reference point—before I decide to purchase.

^
tumblr_oii4rlBzFn1url7zxo1_500.gif

Strange bedfellows indeed . . . LOST IN TRANSLATION coupled with DOWNFALL !

Certainly good to see two of the most recognisable posters used for the steelbook covers and personally speaking not sorry to see old Bill on the back and young Scarlett on the front . . . taking into consideration the Bill Murray bed pose has been used on the front cover of just about every LOST IN TRANSLATION home video release:-
upload_2017-11-9_22-53-21.png
upload_2017-11-9_22-58-47.png

. . . and not an illustration in sight . . .

At least the bed is tidier - though less valuable (LOL) - than another well-publicised bed:-
emin_2957893b.jpg

I never believed this. You weren't really supposed to make out the words anyways.. hence the reason they didn't add subtitles to it. Definitely a fill in the blanks (or keep it blank if you prefer) yourself movie moment.

Feel like the steel deserves better art but at least one is actually happening. Hopefully we see a few more on the horizon. I still prefer my Japanese DVD art.

lost_in_translation_collection_by_ahlberg.jpg

(not my photo)
I was looking at that edition on Google earlier today... up until then I'd never seen it before. Really simple but elegant design IMO... kind of reminds me of Plain Archive's upcoming Mommy steelbook.

• Thanks
Reactions: Last Lizard
^
tumblr_oii4rlBzFn1url7zxo1_500.gif

Strange bedfellows indeed . . . LOST IN TRANSLATION coupled with DOWNFALL !

Certainly good to see two of the most recognisable posters used for the steelbook covers and personally speaking not sorry to see old Bill on the back and young Scarlett on the front . . . taking into consideration the Bill Murray bed pose has been used on the front cover of just about every LOST IN TRANSLATION home video release:-
View attachment 343770 View attachment 343771

. . . and not an illustration in sight . . .

At least the bed is tidier - though less valuable (LOL) - than another well-publicised bed:-
emin_2957893b.jpg
I’m leaning Birkin Brown, but could also see them going for more of a Glastonberry:
19D94E3F-ADE6-4FE3-887F-515EF86B34D7.jpeg
Of course, Very Victoria would be completely out of the question. :artist:

I agree the front and back should be swapped. It’s also a bit drab, considering the location of the film (and how prominently the Tokyo neon-nightlife/cityscape was featured).

I’m definitely going to need @virkia to provide an in-depth analysis of this particular shade of brown—using only lipstick as a reference point—before I decide to purchase.

Favorite post of the day. (And there have been a lot of posts today.) :)

And thanks, @virkia, for all the enjoyment you provide, too. I always like seeing what you have to say.

• Thanks
Reactions: misformatt
Masterpiece, and Scarlett front and center AS SHOULD BE I'm in! Murray was her co-star, instant purchase. This film made Scarlett a megastar, lost Bill the Oscar nuff said!

• Thanks
Reactions: Driver
I’m leaning Birkin Brown, but could also see them going for more of a Glastonberry:
View attachment 343785
Of course, Very Victoria would be completely out of the question. :artist:

You're on the right path regarding the colours used in the film although in this case - unlike the two BABY DRIVER steelbook mock-ups and the glossy pre-release vid for DONNIE DARKO vs. the matte real thing - there's no point to be made by me contrasting gloss 'n' matte lipsticks.

Here the colours are deliberately kept melancholy grey and blue symbolising the loneliness, disconnectedness and isolation of the protagonists mingling with warmer but still muted shades of browns and gold in the hotel and bar . . . any bright colours such as a yellow shirt or a red gilet are designed to symbolise hope . . . hope of romance / happiness . . . but these flashes of colour are rarer than hen's teeth in the film . . . even among the bright neon city lights the skies are often overcast keeping the muted overall feel.
The decision to keep the film unflashy and naturalistic was a conscious one and was designed to reflects the situations of the two leads.

Colour palette of the film:-
Source- Movies in Colour
tumblr_mvcyx7B0wy1s6aghro1_1280.jpg

A couple of examples of flashes of primary and bright colours - the red parasol on the way to the Shinto shrine in Kyoto, Scarlett's neon pink wig and Murray's yellow T-shirt . . .
lostintranslation198.jpg
lostintranslation142.jpg

Personally speaking got a real soft spot for this film.

• Thanks
Reactions: misformatt
A few more, just for fun. :) I wasn't really happy with the back of the Matt Taylor one, so I tried the photo from the cover of the Japanese DVD that @Last Lizard mentioned, and I think it works better:

LiT SB2a.png

I also wanted to see what it would look like to do a full wraparound of the Scarlett poster Zavvi used on the front:

LiT SB3.png

I know some people will feel that it's not right without Bill, so here's a fix for that:

LiT SB3b.png

And some will feel that even that's inadequate--Bill ought to be on the front:

LiT SB3a.png

Last edited: