4K Mastered Mastered in 4k Titles Announced

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
“Mastered in 4K” Blu-ray releases will feature titles—such as The Amazing Spider-Man™, Total Recall, The Karate Kid, Battle: Los Angeles and The Other Guys—sourced from pristine 4K masters and presented at high-bitrate 1080p resolution, with expanded color showcasing more of the wide range of rich color contained in the original source. When upscaled via the Sony 4K Ultra HD TVs, these discs serve as an ideal way for consumers to experience near-4K picture quality. SPHE also plans to utilize available high quality 4K masters for select upcoming new release Blu-ray titles. “Mastered in 4K” Blu-ray Discs can be played on all existing Blu-ray Disc players.

the first LG Ultra HD set that came out came with a disclaimer on the press release that went something like this

"There are no current 4K broadcasts or media avaliable at time of release and thisunit may not be compatible with it when released"

A bit like a chocloate kettle then?

Weren't they talking about Blu-rays still being the medium for 4K? After all, we only use 2 layers at the moment and I remember hearing that they could squeeze in 250GB, enough to keep Blu-rays going for quite some time.

I liked what I saw when I saw 4k at CES earlier this year, but 4k TVs are still way pricy even with Sony's recent offering of their 55" for $5k. I'm not going to re-buy Blu-rays I already have just to get a few more bits out of them, but I would re-buy certain ones if they were actual 4k discs and when 4k TVs are available. IOW, wake me up in three to five years ...

Its worth mentioning that unless you have a 100" plus size screen which are around 15 grand + at the moment you are not going to see any real difference on say a 55" TV. Since 100" size screens do not fit into most peoples living areas this is going nowhere. Most people havent even converted from DVD to Blu Ray yet so ill leave you with that to ponder.

Reactions: Le Marquis
I was thinking... 4K Ultra Hi-Def will have Blurays as part of its Combo Packs :hilarious:

Very good article about 4k blu-ray. Link.

phpvgzfwt.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Bluprint
that Ghostbusters 4K BD is wowing some of the boards i visit. the current BD has issues with blown out whites and boosted contrast. it was an issue with the 'remastered' DVD which was actually worse!

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/22098
concentrate on the sky between the two caps

Thankfully this 4K BD seems to fix all of this issues so this is a $15 worth spending i think (shame they didn't port ANY of the features over)

Reactions: ricster
I don't like where this is going. There is absolutely NO reason why the original release should have not looked as good as this new 'mastered in 4k' edition. It's still on a normal blu-ray disc, encoded in the same AVC format and in the same 1080p resolution. The only difference here is that it has obviously been re-scanned at 4k, treated with better care when being mastered and encoded better with a higher bitrate.

Looks like what will happen is that a normal 'poorer quality' blu will come out first and then 6 months down the line a 'mastered in 4k' will come out to milk us even more.

And I thought Sony were one of the better studios...... :(

Reactions: DJ IXS and Bluprint
I don't like where this is going. There is absolutely NO reason why the original release should have not looked as good as this new 'mastered in 4k' edition. It's still on a normal blu-ray disc, encoded in the same AVC format and in the same 1080p resolution. The only difference here is that it has obviously been re-scanned at 4k, treated with better care when being mastered and encoded better with a higher bitrate.

Looks like what will happen is that a normal 'poorer quality' blu will come out first and then 6 months down the line a 'mastered in 4k' will come out to milk us even more.

And I thought Sony were one of the better studios...... :(

Did it with DVD and superbit so it was likely Sony were to replicate it on blu ray.

I wasn't too impressed with mgm's great escapes 4k transfer. Think the source material was to blame though.

We don't have long to wait. Ghostbusters is out next Tues, first reviews shuold surface soon. My expectations are not high. It's a cash grab.