Mickle_89's Lockdown Renovation 2020

Mickle_89

Premium Supporter
Jun 17, 2015
イギリス
FINALLY!!!!!! My room is finished after 5 months in solid limbo!! :woot: So around mid-Feb this year I decided to completely renovate my bedroom, which is also home to my collection. Fortunately I have an amazing and incredibly understanding GF :drool: who luckily enjoys watching my movies too, but I also have a young family to whom I need to shield all my collectibles from lol :stop: and this to be the only safe haven/space currently available in our house, or at least until someone moves out which won't be for a long time yet :wacky: so for the time being I have to make most of what I have, and to that I think I now have :oohyeah: I was content enough with my old display/setup before but was always envious of more space and the ability to be able to 'display' some pieces rather than just 'store stuff away' etc... And there came my idea for the overdue refurb :)

Main works included having a small chimney breast removed which used to make space and layout a slight issue before. Taking it out made a world of difference and allowed a smooth flow of units across the back wall which looks infinitely better IMO :thumbs: TV was relocated so electrics had to get moved, along with re-plastering and everything painted top to bottom, obviously. Lastly had a new carpet laid and installed all new Billy units from IKEA (which is something I've always wanted! :hungry:). Professionals were brought in for the main jobs (i.e. chimney breast/plastering/electrics/carpet) which is why it's took so long but painting and anything else possible was all me :D Just unfortunate it was such bad timing due to the recent pandemic which is why finish time increased so dramatically - along with the fact I've had to carry on working full-time as normal so anything I did was done in my spare time. Once everything was finally up and ready it took me a while just deciding on how to arrange, as I was basically starting from scratch again, I tried a number of different ways but in the end did it how I used to but with a few tweaks. Primarily arranged by retailer/company - à la Blufans/Manta/HDzeta/Nova/FAC etc, but with a few mash ups in-between, and even then I will probably have to move stuff around yet. 5 months without even seeing my collection was pretty difficult I have to say too, I was once again able to see what life is like on the other side should I decide to quit collecting. I think I made the right choice to reno :p

Fyi, below is probably around 75% or so of my Blu-ray collection in the new Billy's, alongside my Whereschappell's, the other 25% are basically all my standard steels arranged A-Z* (*mostly) but on the opposing side of the room on different shelves/units. Check out the WIP > completion pics below and let me know what you guys think :thumbs: I welcome any tips you might have to help improve anything too :)

IMG_20200721_122352.jpg
IMG_20200722_184648.jpg
IMG_20200727_203014.jpg
IMG_20200728_183020 (2).jpg
IMG_20200721_125220.jpg
IMG_20200721_131325.jpg
IMG_20200721_131953.jpg

Webp.net-gifmaker.gif

June 2019 setup.png.png
July 2020 setup.NEW.png.png

Last edited:
This is the opposite side of the room with some of my old storage units with my A-Z steels in. Was an added bonus I got to keep these really as that helped free up space on my Billy's ;) Just have some finishing touches to add in on the shelf beneath but we're talking non-collection related stuff, picture frames etc.

IMG_20200730_151711 (1) (1).jpg
IMG_20200730_151354 (1).jpg

IMG_20200730_151840.jpg
IMG_20200730_151056 (2).jpg

Last edited:
@Mickle_89 Looks brilliant mate :thumbs: Great job.

The doors are a great addition to the units to keep those little hands off the goodies :rofl::thumbs:

Reactions: Mickle_89
Greatly improved room and shelving units. Your collection looks much cleaner and better now... as well as bigger.
More room to keep growing.

You weren't joking about the 2 thumbs up :rofl:

Thanks bud, appreciate your words of encouragement there :thanks: However, I do think I deserve at least a couple more, so... :whistle::whistle:

• Haha
Reactions: DMD4k
@Mickle_89 looks amazing mate. Awesome collection. I so badly need to do something like this. I started to clean bits up but it’s becoming a bit crowded in my room now lol

I didn’t realise you could add glass window doors to the Billy’s either (I have 2 of them)

Also, was not aware there was a white PS4. Looks cool

@Mickle_89 looks amazing mate. Awesome collection. I so badly need to do something like this. I started to clean bits up but it’s becoming a bit crowded in my room now lol

I didn’t realise you could add glass window doors to the Billy’s either (I have 2 of them)

Also, was not aware there was a white PS4. Looks cool
Thanks man for checking it out and the kind words. I actually remember you asking me ages ago for pics of my collection in PM so apologies it's took so long! :bag: Lol. But yeah, the glass doors are called "MORLIDEN" fyi and I chose those as I thought they looked sleeker than their "OXBERG" range door (the latter basically has a thicker wooden border/divide and slightly smaller panes of glass rather than an aluminium frame). Oh, and Morliden definitely have better handles too. Only thing with them though is they don't do the extra small ones for the top add-on section like you could get with the Oxberg, hence mine is left open at the top but I don't mind that really :)

Reactions: Flloydo
Thanks man for checking it out and the kind words. I actually remember you asking me ages ago for pics of my collection in PM so apologies it's took so long! :bag: Lol. But yeah, the glass doors are called "MORLIDEN" fyi and I chose those as I thought they looked sleeker than their "OXBERG" range door (the latter basically has a thicker wooden border/divide and slightly smaller panes of glass rather than an aluminium frame). Oh, and Morliden definitely have better handles too. Only thing with them though is they don't do the extra small ones for the top add-on section like you could get with the Oxberg, hence mine is left open at the top but I don't mind that really :)

haha no worries. I remember you saying you was renovating it all anyway.
ah ok that makes sense. They look cool with the open top shelves.
My eventual plan is to have 4 in a row like you have. But I don’t have the space at the mo and we have been speaking of moving which has been a conversation for about 3 years now which keeps popping back, so I was going to wait until then

also with my Billy’s I have one white one and one black one. Mainly because all my units and print frames are a mix of black or white. I have 2 sides of the room with black units/ tv stand/ chest of draws etc and the other 2 sides of the room with a white unit and white poster/ print frames. I prefer the white side but dust shows up so much more and I’m constantly cleaning them.

how many HDN coins do you have? I can see 7 on the shelf. I have 5 and I know I’m missing the the gold one. Are the others from suspiria and the other HDN black label editions? (I have the silver challenge coin limited to 50, ace Ventura coin, the white and blue HDN coin, I survived ninja week coin and a tenebrae coin - I never got around to getting suspiria and phenomena editions)

haha no worries. I remember you saying you was renovating it all anyway.
ah ok that makes sense. They look cool with the open top shelves.
My eventual plan is to have 4 in a row like you have. But I don’t have the space at the mo and we have been speaking of moving which has been a conversation for about 3 years now which keeps popping back, so I was going to wait until then

also with my Billy’s I have one white one and one black one. Mainly because all my units and print frames are a mix of black or white. I have 2 sides of the room with black units/ tv stand/ chest of draws etc and the other 2 sides of the room with a white unit and white poster/ print frames. I prefer the white side but dust shows up so much more and I’m constantly cleaning them.

how many HDN coins do you have? I can see 7 on the shelf. I have 5 and I know I’m missing the the gold one. Are the others from suspiria and the other HDN black label editions? (I have the silver challenge coin limited to 50, ace Ventura coin, the white and blue HDN coin, I survived ninja week coin and a tenebrae coin - I never got around to getting suspiria and phenomena editions)
Ah I see mate, hopefully some time in the future you can add a couple more Billy's then :thumbs: B&W is always a cool contrast/combo, sounds cool :cool:

HDN coins, I actually have 6. The first one is the coin from Blufans Exclusive #1 Real Steel Atom. Left to right after that, I have: Gold community leader (numbered), I Survived Ninja Week (numbered), blue & white, silver limited to 50, then same as LE 50 but w/colour and lastly Ace Ventura. I don't have any of the Black Label coins unfortunately (n)
Nice work, thanks for sharing with us. @Mickle_89 :thumbs:
I hope I can do something similar one day. Would love to give my collection a more permanent place, too.
Thanks Joh, appreciate that :happy:
That look awesome.Well done.

View attachment 480107
Thanks very much! :notworthy::thumbs:

Ah I see mate, hopefully some time in the future you can add a couple more Billy's then :thumbs: B&W is always a cool contrast/combo, sounds cool :cool:

HDN coins, I actually have 6. The first one is the coin from Blufans Exclusive #1 Real Steel Atom. Left to right after that, I have: Gold community leader (numbered), I Survived Ninja Week (numbered), blue & white, silver limited to 50, then same as LE 50 but w/colour and lastly Ace Ventura. I don't have any of the Black Label coins unfortunately (n)

Thanks Joh, appreciate that :happy:

Thanks very much! :notworthy::thumbs:

ahh ok. I don’t have the blufans real steel or the gold HDN coin. Can’t even remember how they were given out or sold. And I don’t have the limited one to 50 in colour. Just silver. Good to know though

yeah hopefully one day I can properly sort my collection out

All that waiting definitely paid off mate... collection looks amazing! Nice to see your Chappell's have space to breath now too lol. Like @Flloydo, I had no idea they did glass doors for Billies, so I'm gonna have to look into getting some of those! Also just noticed you've used a number of glass shelves... are they made specifically for Billies? All-in-all everything looks super clean and nicely displayed... honestly makes me think of a museum or something lol -- you should charge folks to come and admire your WC collection. ;) :p

P.S. Also just noticed some of my bits and bobs in there... honoured to have them on display in your awesome collection. :happy: :notworthy:

All that waiting definitely paid off mate... collection looks amazing! Nice to see your Chappell's have space to breath now too lol. Like @Flloydo, I had no idea they did glass doors for Billies, so I'm gonna have to look into getting some of those! Also just noticed you've used a number of glass shelves... are they made specifically for Billies? All-in-all everything looks super clean and nicely displayed... honestly makes me think of a museum or something lol -- you should charge folks to come and admire your WC collection. ;) :p

P.S. Also just noticed some of my bits and bobs in there... honoured to have them on display in your awesome collection. :happy: :notworthy:
Thanks mate :happy: Yeah that's something I wanted to highlight, but also have at a height where I could see them all nicely, hence I spread across the 2 units horizontally rather than just 1 dedicated Billy and vertically. It's all worked out well in the end, gives me space to grow more now and not just with WC but also my steels :D Makes a pleasant change, usually it's always such a struggle with space lol! :pain:

Definitely, go and look at those glass doors, and shelves too. They're made specifically for the Billy range yes so perfect fit. I got 6x glass for my Chappell's and 1x for my PS4 shelf. And of course, your Driver custom in particular looks so good together with the rest of the DRIVE collection :drool::notworthy::thumbs:

Reactions: Noodles