Midsommar (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) [Japan]

Oct 18, 2018
Release date: September 9, 2020
Purchase link: Amazon JP
Price: ¥12,980
Group buy: hosted by Aniv (USA only)

DAC3F587-E0FD-42D4-8DB6-2BA42741AF99.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I went straight for the DC. Haven't watched the theatrical release. I like the pacing and the depth it gives to the background story and the characters. I don't think there is any drag at all. A couple of scenes may seem prolonged, but its effect is to intensify the scenes and the atmosphere.

I normally just watch DCs and will watch the Theatrical Release later if I have time. DCs are the directors' preferred cut and usually they have the right balance vs. theatrical releases cut for commercial reasons.

Another thing I might add is that DCs are not to be mixed up with Extended Cuts. ECs are bad for first viewing. Unlike DCs which are the directors' original cut, ECs have scenes added on to the final cut. So they usually end up shifting the balance and affecting the pacing.

ECs are worth viewing only after watching the DC or TC. I learned this from The Handmaiden. I made the mistake of watching the EC first. The whole balance became slapstick, killing the eroticism, and the pacing was bad. I didn't like it. But after I watched the TC and then the EC again, my opinion of the film changed totally.

So, in general, I find it safe to follow this rule:
If there's a DC, watch the DC first. Else, watch the TC first before any EC.

Yeah it is massive. Wasn’t expecting it to be that size. It’s like a giant book. But cool tho. And the images used are perfect. It features all The illustrated art from the film. Where I’ve only seen the other editions use some of the art that A24 edition seems to utilise it all

I might try to get the Korean one at some point. Knowing my luck it’s sold out
I'm waiting for the A24 restock. How's the packaging? Do they pack it like Amazon or like the Korean retailers?

Reactions: Real Steel
theres just no way to justify the price... the steelbook cost is almost the same for every release.. here most likely lower than average due to being matte and not having any bossing.. and the paper extras like the cards and slipcover are low cost too... its just a blatant ripoff... but ppl like to *believe* there must be some correlation between the price and the quality, which is obviously not the case from the pictures we‘ve seen..

i mean this is 2 - 3 times the price of an actual premium release and contains a matte & unembossed steelbook, which would be laughed at if zavvi released it, and a super thin o-ring or slipcase, which almost nobody wants since a few years now... sure 120€ here you go :p

theres just no way to justify the price... the steelbook cost is almost the same for every release.. here most likely lower than average due to being matte and not having any bossing.. and the paper extras like the cards and slipcover are low cost too... its just a blatant ripoff... but ppl like to *believe* there must be some correlation between the price and the quality, which is obviously not the case from the pictures we‘ve seen..

i mean this is 2 - 3 times the price of an actual premium release and contains a matte & unembossed steelbook, which would be laughed at if zavvi released it, and a super thin o-ring or slipcase, which almost nobody wants since a few years now... sure 120€ here you go :p

There is no real argument at all to be made against that. One could assume - or in case of the "suckers" who actually pulled the trigger, hope - that the print run is really small and that would potentially justify the unjustifiable price tag. I thought about it for a while and the fact that amazon.co.jp didn't deliver to Germany for a while and it already sold on ebay for $160 just made me impulse-buy it when I was able to. In my experience there are 2 possible outcomes: It will be much cheaper soon or will be released identically somewhere else without the slipcover or something or it will remain or even increase its value once it is sold out and people will regret not buying it when they had the chance.

Maybe it is simply a test to see how many people actually are willing to pay a super big buck for something exclusive and (allegeldly) superior. This point would have been easier to make though if the steelbook had been more special with some embossing or some really nice bonus like a book or a metal pin or whatever. At the end of the day it's an individual budgetary decision and I decided to buy it and not buy things like American Gangster 4k and held out on Goodfellas Titans of Cult for the time being. I'm fairly relaxed how this will turn out in the end, but I can tell you that I'm really looking forward to receiving this (only available) steelbook (for a film that I thoroughly enjoyed) in 2-3 days!

There is no real argument at all to be made against that. One could assume - or in case of the "suckers" who actually pulled the trigger, hope - that the print run is really small and that would potentially justify the unjustifiable price tag. I thought about it for a while and the fact that amazon.co.jp didn't deliver to Germany for a while and it already sold on ebay for $160 just made me impulse-buy it when I was able to. In my experience there are 2 possible outcomes: It will be much cheaper soon or will be released identically somewhere else without the slipcover or something or it will remain or even increase its value once it is sold out and people will regret not buying it when they had the chance.

Maybe it is simply a test to see how many people actually are willing to pay a super big buck for something exclusive and (allegeldly) superior. This point would have been easier to make though if the steelbook had been more special with some embossing or some really nice bonus like a book or a metal pin or whatever. At the end of the day it's an individual budgetary decision and I decided to buy it and not buy things like American Gangster 4k and held out on Goodfellas Titans of Cult for the time being. I'm fairly relaxed how this will turn out in the end, but I can tell you that I'm really looking forward to receiving this (only available) steelbook (for a film that I thoroughly enjoyed) in 2-3 days!
Enjoy your edition! I hope you like it :) Theres actually a very good chance that it will increase in value (even drastically) *if* it sells out at the current price...

This seller has only 453 of these available. To see if more are available from another seller, go to the product detail page. Maybe a price drop is not completely out of the question :rofl:
Weirdly, the one I bought, which is the non-4K steelbook without posters, has gone up in price from ¥7,465 to ¥9,130, making it the same price as the one with posters.