What is the more important?

• Mondo branding

Votes: 8 10.1%
  • The Artwork

Votes: 71 89.9%

• Total voters
May 1, 2015
Hi everyone,

We are just exploring options for various steelbook concepts for our catalogue here at eOne UK.

One of the things we have looked at is Mondo.

As collectors how important is the Mondo branding, does it really add value to the collect-ability, or is it the artwork that is most important?

Feedback would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

eOne Direct Team

The first most important thing for me is the film choice, and then art + quality of the steelbook. And lastly, the branding. It doesn't mean branding is not important, it's just as not much as the others. I love the Ender's Game UK release, even though it's not part of the numbered releases. So if you make a steelbook with good art and for a good movie, I'm in. Also, keep in mind you don't wanna choose a movie that's already been done, even if the movie is good.

Or like someone else mentioned, you don't have to go the mondo route. You can create your own design, and it can still be equally good.

Reactions: jcm
First, what mather most for me is the title, then the artwork. I :drool: the Mondo serie but if the movie doesn't interest me, even if the artwork is superb, I will pass (like Mondos #006-7-8).

Thanks for taking the time to ask and cannot wait to see what this Survey brings us!

Mondo art has been synonymous with quality and imaginative artwork. I think those qualities are the reason hobbyist and collectors have flocked to Mondo. Steelbook collectors crave for something unique and creative.

I, personally, am a fan of Mondo artwork. I wanted to acquire most of the poster prints but the limited quantity and the random timing of purchasing them has prevented me from doing so. The closest thing to the poster print are the Mondo X steelbook series. I collect them all because of the artwork. The movies are secondary.

The movie is most important then the artwork. Mondo branding does carry weight but the U.S. and Canada are already doing that, so I would much prefer eOne go after commissioned artwork outside of Mondo. This would allow you to differentiate yourself and still provide awesome artwork for collectors. This Predator poster would make a great Steelbook and it isn't Mondo:
341d4d0bfa4ad468720ba240155312ff.jpg

The artwork itself is more important than any brand or artist name attached to it in my opinion.

Im just going to add i think its trully awesome eOne actually comes here asking us what would tick our boxes! You are really making an effort to understand this market and how it works! If only every company followed your example....

And btw taking what was said a few posts back and what i mentioned in the other thread, you should definetely study not only what Mondo does but what Plain Archive does with their releases aswell. Completely different but both gorgeous in their own way!

Also, just my 2 cents, but you should consider doing exclusives with HiDefNinja!

Last edited:
Reactions: bonakaze
I guess I misinterpreted the question and voted the wrong way. I'd go for Mondo Branding in retrospect based on the fact that so far all the Mondo Steelbooks have been top of the line, premium releases. Even most of the Mondo steels that aren't in the 'X' line are still premium editions.

I like how the Mondo line is pushing the boundaries of what Scanavo can do with the product. Editions from the likes of Blufans, Kimchi, Plain, etc., are great editions, but what are they known for? Lenticular slips, booklets, numbered cards, a bunch of cool extras leaving with you an unopened blu-ray because you're satisfied with the slip. The Mondo steelbooks need to be opened to be appreciated. From the textured Pan's Labyrinth, to the ultra deep whites of Drive, to the 3D 'Judgment Is Coming' lettering on Dredd, to the translucent layering on True Detective and all the way back to the the debossing on Steelbook of the Year winner The Raid.

Mondo steelbooks have a track record of winning designs and product execution.

Last edited:
@whysoserious? This is something that could absolutely happen. We are still looking in to the Walking Dead Steelbooks. These would be UK specific, but aware of group buys etc. Personally I love the Mondo concept, and yes would look at them being numbered and with the slip cover. This thread was just to gauge how important the Mondo branding is to a collector, or whether artwork is prevalent. There are a lot of talented artists outside of Mondo we are looking at.

We are very much engaged in producing steelbooks hence the research thread, sorry I can not share our commitments at this stage or you feel we disregarded your feedback from the last thread, we didn't and still looking at these.

FYI - Our next release is Monsters 2 Steelbook which will be available shortly.

@Engelskind Can you send me some lines to the Plain Archive so we can take a look at these?

Thanks, I have been waiting for this to be released in steelbook

Reactions: digitalbabe
The artwork is what motivates me to buy a release. And because I open my steelbooks, I'd rather only see branding on a slip or j-card and not on the steel itself.

@eonedirect

Here's my take on it. I think it's safe to say that the majority of collectors would appreciate good artwork regardless of who the artist is, but the reason why Mondo releases are so successful is their consistency. Mondo commissions the best artists in the field, their prints are some of the best and most respected in the collecting community. A few years ago they expanded to vinyl soundtracks and have received much praise, not only for getting amazing artwork, but for their selection of titles as well.

In short, I wouldn't say it's necessary to get Mondo artwork, but it is important to have an ability to curate the selection - both in which titles get released and which artist does the art - as good as they do. If you can do that without their involvement, great. If not, getting them on board is a must.

@eonedirect

Its really a combination of both that's important to collectors
The most important one of course is the artwork

If your going to do Mondo releases I would though suggest you also include Mondo branding and be limited numbered editions

A suggestion for you would be if possible to provide us with some samples
1) A sample mondo steelbook that includes artwork with the Mondo branding
2 A sample mondo steelbook that don't include the Mondo branding

Personally I would suggest you go with Mondo branding as it give the release the extra collectable factor but the most important part is the artwork

If not including the Mondo branding gives you more freedom to provide exclusive artwork then that might be a good option but if not then its best to include Mondo branding and this creates a numbered collection
The Mondo X Clear Slips also provide protection for the steelbook and add a good look to a steelbook but its best if any UK/Ireland ratings logos they are removable stickers

Thanks
Paul

Last edited:
@eonedirect

Its really a combination of both that's important to collectors
The most important one of course is the artwork

If your going to do Mondo releases I would though suggest you also include Mondo branding and be limited numbered editions

A suggestion for you would be if possible to provide us with some samples
1) A sample mondo steelbook that includes artwork with the Mondo branding
2 A sample mondo steelbook that don't include the Mondo branding

Personally I would suggest you go with Mondo branding as it give the release the extra collectable factor but the most important part is the artwork

If not including the Mondo branding gives you more freedom to provide exclusive artwork then that might be a good option but if not then its best to include Mondo branding and this creates a numbered collection
The Mondo X Clear Slips also provide protection for the steelbook and add a good look to a steelbook but its best if any UK/Ireland ratings logos they are removable stickers

Thanks
Paul

In absolute agreement, any ratings logo's 100% MUST be removable. That will be a major factor after finish and art on whether collectors will purchase them.

It goes without saying that the film comes first, but after that it's the artwork. It doesn't matter who's done it, if it's awesome, it's awesome. That means that if I was to choose between a great "normal" artwork and one mediocre from Mondo, the choice would be clearly the first. Now, if eOne UK is looking into making a Mondo line, I say go for it only if the product quality matches what we've seen on the US and Canada Mondo steels.

For me it is the film choice and the artwork that goes with it. As awesome as the Mondo X line is, there are films from the series that I have decided not to bother with (Looper, Shaun of Dead, Boyhood) mainly because I haven't seen those films and I don't want to get them if I've never seen them. Even so, the artwork for Boyhood I don't really like so I'm not sure if I would purchase that even if I had seen the film.

Mondo has a great lineup of artists, and they produce some of the best film artwork I've personally ever seen. However, as @jcm pointed out with that non-Mondo Predator poster, there are other non-Mondo artists out there that make phenomenal art. If eOne want to get into the Mondo x line at the same quality and finish then go for it I say, but if not, I'm sure there are plenty of other artworks by people out there that you could do your own 'art' steelbook (UK exclusive perhaps?) line.