Monsters Inc (3D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive: The Pixar Collection #6) [UK]

snooloui

The 'Negative' Ninja
Premium Supporter
Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: February 17th, 2014
Purchase link: Monsters Inc 3D (sold out)
Price: £20.99
Note:
The others:
Zavvi Exclusive: The Pixar Collection Blu-ray SteelBooks

10864600-1385053395-322752.jpg

10864600-1385053395-322844.jpg

10864600-1385053395-322953.jpg

Last edited:
If you're doing this for the money, you're doing it wrong. Problem with collecting anything is once people see you can make a quick buck on it they hype the market up and inflate it. It'll collapse sooner or later, and those who were collecting because they look damn good on the shelf, we'll still be here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 12:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 PM ----------

If you're doing this for the money, you're doing it wrong. Problem with collecting anything is once people see you can make a quick buck on it they hype the market up and inflate it. It'll collapse sooner or later, and those who were collecting because they look damn good on the shelf, we'll still be here.

And yes, retailers who are just doing this to cash in on the collectors while they can, won't stick around long.

Stop buying the garbage releases. It's that simple. I see plenty of the same people complaining about releases and then they post pictures of them in the recently acquired thread (derp). If you really want the movie, it doesn't need to be a steelbook. Either buy the amaray once it's on sale, or join a decent private tracker and just download it.

As for collectors who think these are some type of investment / something that will retain value... you're in for a reality check (and are probably new to the world of collecting, in general).

Best to just buy steelbooks you like to movies you like. You'll be a lot happier in the end, and if it's a flop/complete let down, then so be it... they're only steelbooks and will (eventually) suffer the same fate as DVD collectables have.

Last edited:
Can we please try and keep this on topic guys. If you want to discuss Zavvi you can do it in the retailer section here. People are subscribed to this thread to find out information on the steelbook. They don't need to recieve constant updates which are off topic. Thanks for your understanding.

Last edited by a moderator:
with the state of the market at the moment this downward trend in values will just continue and continue until they are worth jack shite.

you are right. i have been collecting since the dvd days of steelbook. the vast majority of those steels are now worthless. even the ones that were considered sought after can now be picked up for a fiver. Dvd is dead, nobody wants dvds and nobody wants steelbook dvds. the same WILL happen with these bluray steelbooks.

they have no long term value. not in money anyway. that is why i mostly always buy the films i like, rather than just because they are steelbooks. my steels have value because i like the film, so when they are worth nothing on the market, they will still have value to me.

anyway, to be on topic, i have a monsters inc steelbook already, a german dvd one. made worthless and redundant by this edition. but hey, i still like my edition

you are right. i have been collecting since the dvd days of steelbook. the vast majority of those steels are now worthless. even the ones that were considered sought after can now be picked up for a fiver. Dvd is dead, nobody wants dvds and nobody wants steelbook dvds. the same WILL happen with these bluray steelbooks.

they have no long term value. not in money anyway. that is why i mostly always buy the films i like, rather than just because they are steelbooks. my steels have value because i like the film, so when they are worth nothing on the market, they will still have value to me.

anyway, to be on topic, i have a monsters inc steelbook already, a german dvd one. made worthless and redundant by this edition. but hey, i still like my edition

I disagree. I think blu ray steels will hold value much better than dvd steels. blu ray video quality is superb, no matter what comes after, you can't get THAT much better than blu ray image. Sure some of the older movies benefit from remastering, but when they are remastered they usually look amazing. As for the newer formats coming onto the scene... 4K, etc... i don't care if they call it 87K. When I pop in a blu ray and see a virtually perfect crystal clear image, I'm happy.

The same cannot be said of DVD, which is why many people were willing to ditch DVD and jump onto the blu ray train.

Now.. as for this Monsters steel, well unfortunately it will probably be lackluster matte finish.

I disagree. I think blu ray steels will hold value much better than dvd steels. blu ray video quality is superb, no matter what comes after, you can't get THAT much better than blu ray image. Sure some of the older movies benefit from remastering, but when they are remastered they usually look amazing. As for the newer formats coming onto the scene... 4K, etc... i don't care if they call it 87K. When I pop in a blu ray and see a virtually perfect crystal clear image, I'm happy.

The same cannot be said of DVD, which is why many people were willing to ditch DVD and jump onto the blu ray train.

Now.. as for this Monsters steel, well unfortunately it will probably be lackluster matte finish.

In the DVD era I also thought that, compared to VHS, the video quality couldn't get any better. But mankind always managed to improve its technology, in a way you can never imagine in the present time. And it's in our nature to get used to a higher standard in no time. I'm SURE, that some time in the near future, there will be a much better format, and you will ask yourself: how was it passible that I was satisfied with BDs ;) Of coure, I hope that our precious steelbooks are then still valuable as they are now. But to be honest, I really doubt that...

I agree about the 4K hype. Most American's are still watching freaking DVD's and won't let them go.

Reactions: DJ IXS
I think i'm going to cancel this. The front looks great but the back just doesn't work for me. Factor in the probable matte finish and random embossing and it just doesn't seem worth the asking price for me personally. Whilst 'The Disney Collection' seems to be coming along nicely, 'The Pixar Collection' just seems to be a total mismatch of ideas :(

I think i'm going to cancel this. The front looks great but the back just doesn't work for me. Factor in the probable matte finish and random embossing and it just doesn't seem worth the asking price for me personally. Whilst 'The Disney Collection' seems to be coming along nicely, 'The Pixar Collection' just seems to be a total mismatch of ideas :(

I had 2 on order an cancelled mine the other day as well. I just don't see a compelling reason to get this at this price.

- No cool slip like Kimchi or Korea non exclusive (or worse a big huge blank slip like Toy Story set)
- Probably matte
- Possibly random embossing
- Back is totally uninspired. The back of even the worldwide release is 1,000 times better.

All for the unearned price of 20.99 GBP (about $35 USD). If they drop this to maybe 16.99 GBP and then let us use a discount code, then we might have a deal. Same with Cars steelbook.

---------- Post added at 05:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

In the DVD era I also thought that, compared to VHS, the video quality couldn't get any better. But mankind always managed to improve its technology, in a way you can never imagine in the present time. And it's in our nature to get used to a higher standard in no time. I'm SURE, that some time in the near future, there will be a much better format, and you will ask yourself: how was it passible that I was satisfied with BDs ;) Of coure, I hope that our precious steelbooks are then still valuable as they are now. But to be honest, I really doubt that...

DVD was never a clear enough picture for me to say the same about it.

Blu ray may not be "perfect", but for most blu rays (especially for almost any new movie), it almost looks like watching real life on the screen. Since I'm not into the gimmicky home 3D technology, I am very satisfied sitting down in front of a nice standard 2D blu ray transfer. In most cases, I want for nothing in the way of audio/visual.

I think the next real movement in cinema will come with a new technology altogether, not just "a clearer image". I think it's gonna take viewer immersion, like 4D of some sort. Movies made in such a way where the viewer is in the middle and surrounded by the movie elements, like what virtual reality offers only more refined and using an updated technology.

Until then, Blu ray will be here for a while.

cancelled mine as well, along with UP
I've got the UK 3D amerays with a nice Lenticular cover(sadly not for UP), so considering I'm less fussed about having Pixar steels then the Disney Classics, it'll save me some money too.
If they all drop to a decent, £10 ish price then I'll likely bite, but currently I'm happy with a mix of viva's, steels and slipped amerays :)

Dispatched. I couldn't make up my mind whether or not to cancel, I guess it's too late now.