Dec 28, 2012
Everywhere
3.25 star(s) Rating: 3.25/5 8 Votes
Title: Mortal Kombat

Genre: Fantasy, Action, Adventure

Director: Simon McQuoid

Cast: Joel Edgerton

Release: 2021-23-04

Plot: Plot unknown. Feature film based on the popular video game.

Shite.... Well I rather eat shite them watch this abomination again. Even the acting in Monster Hunter was better (says it all). The only likable were the finishes. I would say edit those finishes / fatalities in a row of 3 minutes and bin the rest.

Reactions: Billy Talent
Yeah, I saw that... but surely it's just a tease for that character in a possible sequel?
The main guy in this one is nothing like JC, and why would they have a poster of him in the gym if you're saying he technically didn't exist yet?

I googled it anyway and the main guy is apparently a new character in the MK universe.
Yes he's a new character but he goes on to be Johnny Cage at the end. If you look at the standpoint that this was a backstory to all the character or the main ones at that. They have to fill in the gaps somewhere since this is just derived from a fighting game which had no story to it at all so they could pretty much do what they wanted.
Who is Cole Young

Last edited:
Glad to see I'm not the only one who really enjoyed this. I honestly don't know much about Mortal Kombat as I was more of a Street Fighter player growing up, yet I still found myself understanding a lot of the references/jokes. The special effects were honestly some of the best I've seen as of late, especially the ice! The choreography was also pretty good IMO. I had no real issues with the main guy, but was he a completely new character made specifically for this film? Really hoping for a sequel!
yeah the MMA fighter Cole was made purely for the film. He’s a brand new character. I get it and why they used him but I just found his acting flat.
Have you seen Godzilla vs Kong yet? The special effects are incredible in that too. Oscar worthy

Reactions: Noodles
Yes he's a new character but he goes on to be Johnny Cage at the end. If you look at the standpoint that this was a backstory to all the character or the main ones at that. They have to fill in the gaps somewhere since this is just derived from a fighting game which had no story to it at all so they could pretty much do what they wanted.
Who is Cole Young

He won’t go on to be Johnny cage. At the end Cole refuses the fight offer because he has a new job (searching for champions for the next tournament).

he says he’s going to Hollywood (which we know as fans that’s where cage will be) and then to tease him and to confirm that further they show a poster for a film of his. Cage already exists in the modern MK world in this franchise.
He will be a main part in the sequel

it’s like it’s teased or implied that some of the classics have been and gone (night wolf, shao kahn etc) centries ago

Last edited:
Well that was dissapointing.
Watched it last night, acting of certain characters (Cole, Sonya Blade) was really off....
Like Kano's character his acting was pretty good, wish we could have seen more of Kabal and Kano and their back story.

Could have done without the humor for this movie, definitely a one time watch for me.

I'm definitely going for multiple time watching and One-Click edition of those groups which will offer it. Hope for WEA perhaps though waiting for WWA, but if images around web are correct artwork will be .

yeah the MMA fighter Cole was made purely for the film. He’s a brand new character. I get it and why they used him but I just found his acting flat.
Have you seen Godzilla vs Kong yet? The special effects are incredible in that too. Oscar worthy
His acting certainly wasn't the best, but as a first-time actor coming from the MMA world, I would've expected much worse lol.

Yeah, seen GvK and thought it was great fun! Really cool action and the effects were great like you said... same goes for the other recent Godzilla and Kong movies tbf.

Reactions: Flloydo
His acting certainly wasn't the best, but as a first-time actor coming from the MMA world, I would've expected much worse lol.

Yeah, seen GvK and thought it was great fun! Really cool action and the effects were great like you said... same goes for the other recent Godzilla and Kong movies tbf.
Lewis Tan isnt an MMA fighter... he's an actor lol
i know him from Into The Badlands and heck, he was Shatterstar in Deadpool 2...

Lewis Tan isnt an MMA fighter... he's an actor lol
i know him from Into The Badlands and heck, he was Shatterstar in Deadpool 2...
Thanks for the correction! I hadn't actually looked him up (obviously lol), but saw a brief interview with him recently where I thought he said he has an MMA background, and I thought he also mentioned it being his first acting job... clearly I misheard/misremembered. :facepalm:

EDIT - Okay, just read he does martial arts, so close enough lol. And I reckon he probably said it's his first MAJOR acting role in a movie, since he's the main character.

Reactions: DADDYCOOL187
Watched this tonight ........... LOVED IT!!

I’ll be saying, GET OVER HERE to any steels or premiums for this. Did fall flat in places but the opening was good and the action was top notch. And Scorpion & Sub Zero are the stars all day long.