New Blu-Ray discs with 4X hidef coming in 2013

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Per Mail Online in the UK:

New Blu-Ray discs offering four times hi-def due out in 2013 - but you'll need a new player AND a new TV

• New discs four times sharper than Blu-Ray
  • Could be on market by 2013, says LG exec
  • Will need new '4K' players AND new 4K televisions
  • LG, Toshiba, Sony and others back new format

Many of us haven't upgraded from DVD to hi-def Blu-Rays yet - but technology companies are already preparing for the next stage, with televisions, players and discs that will offer 'Ultra HD' resolutions.
Sony and LG are gearing up for new Blu-Ray discs that offer 'Ultra HD' definitions far higher than normal Full HD, such as 4K - four times higher than normal HD, and near the resolutions offered in Imax theatres.

'We're expecting the arrival of 4K Blu-rays in 2013,' said John Taylor, LG's Vice President of Communications told website Pocket-Lint.

article-2084665-0F66841400000578-796_468x155.jpg

Sony's new S790 player, due out this year, will 'upscale' Blu-Rays to 4K resolution. Sony is also rumoured to be in talks with film studios about a new specification of Blu-Ray discs capable of storing and showing films in the new 'Ultra HD' format

The discs could be on the market as early as 2013. LG, Toshiba and others have televisions capable of Ultra HD.
Sony's new S790 player, due out this year, will 'upscale' Blu-Rays to 4K resolution.
'The player will upscale Full HD Blu-rays to 4k definition. For this to happen you would need a 4K capable screen,' says a company spokesperson.

Sony is rumoured to be in talks with film studos to finalise a specification for 4K Blu-Rays. Many films are already shot using 4K cameras.David Fincher's The Social Network was shot and screened in 4K, and an increasing number of cinema films use the format.
article-0-0B9A1A42000005DC-171_468x286.jpg

David Fincher's The Social Network was shot and screened in 4K, and an increasing number of cinema films use the format

article-0-0F6479D500000578-735_468x310.jpg

LG's new 'ultra HD' set offers a screen resolution of 3840x2160, around 16 times that of existing Full HD TVs

LG's set will be one of many televisions to offer resolutions above Full HD. There are several resolutions of 'Ultra HD', from the relatively modest 2K up to 8K.
There are few devices that can play the format, thus far - although if your PC is up to it, YouTube will host 4K footage.

article-0-0F6479DC00000578-651_468x388.jpg

LG's 3D set offers a 4K resolution - but there will may be even sharper TVs in future. The BBC has already shot test footage in 8K. It's yet to be decided which could be used for broadcast

Toshiba already makes a '4K' television, due on sale in the UK and America shortly.

So this is the happy medium of what we have now and 4K, hrm. I think I feel the same as Horhay on this one, I would rather wait and go the whole 9-yards. When the prices for 4K gear are considerably cheaper I'll go that route, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

What kills me about upping the resolution is that pretty much anything in the home 50" and lower won't really appear to be any sharper than blu-rays already on 1080p screens. I'd be hard pressed to see side by side comparisons on the same tv set with a blu-ray and a 4k film playing simultaneously and be sold on the difference in picture quality.

This type of resolution makes more sense on home theater set ups with 100" of screen to stretch across

It'll be interesting to see what comes from reviews as these sets come out :movie:

As much as I like having a Large screen T.V I like having walls that are walls better.

Our T.V is 42" and I wanted 48 to 50 and to accommodate this we would have had to have

A ,Moved House (which we only did 4 years ago).

B, Had a mortgage that we would not pay off for another 60 years by witch time we would be 107 years old for him and 101 for me. to get a house big enough to have a room/ wall that big to fit it on.

C, Have a tent in a field to run a projector on a sheet big enough.

My point being is that not everyone will be able to have something that size in thire home. So for me until things are sized down thire will not be a point to it.

I think they could have held off until next year! Are we even gonna notice the higher resolution, I doubt it! It just a way to make us pay more for something I don't think we really need & where's that going to leave us blu-ray collector's, trying to upgrade our collection again, like we did when we all had DVD. Well I'm not gonna bother with all that again, I'm sticking with my blu's

Sent from the Boiler Room

Last edited:
I think they could have held off until next year! Are we even gonna notice the higher resolution, I doubt it! It just a way to make us pay more for something I don't think we really need & where's that going to leave us blu-ray collector's, trying to upgrade our collection again, like we did when we all had DVD. Well I'm not gonna bother with all that again, I'm sticking with my blu's

This.

The difference is not worth it. I own almost 400 blu-rays and I have spent thousand of dollars on it (just like everybody else in this forum) and I'm not going to throw that away just for the sake of saying "I own 4K blus". :p

All you 'satisfied' early adopters, we'll see how long you hold out. You know you'll want it. You always do. Of course the reviews will gush, they always do.

I'd want it more for broadcast American football and basketball, but the networks cannot even do 1080i correctly (CBS macroblocking, I'm looking about you, too often I might add).

Probably not, you will only see the change in resolution if you have a really big screen. Don´t know the real number here but my guess is 100
inches or maybe not even then. Maybe even 150 inch but the distance between you and the screen is much more important.

I think I'll wait for 8k blu-ray before upgrading my set up, unless 4k blu-ray comes up with amazing steelbook artworks and unique design (i.e round and triangle) steelbooks or steelbooks pop-up.

Probably not, you will only see the change in resolution if you have a really big screen. Don´t know the real number here but my guess is 100
inches or maybe not even then. Maybe even 150 inch but the distance between you and the screen is much more important.

Most people don't have a living room space large enough for screens this size. I'm not sure how the tech companies will convince the public to upgrade.

Honestly, there are still millions of dollars coming from DVD revenues. This will not replace anything, it will only add something special. There are still movies coming out only on 25GB BR layer.

I'm all for the advancement of technology becoming viable in the layman's home. However, DVD is still the preferred format and I can't see 4K becoming a hit until much, much later. I'm definitely waiting a good few years before upgrading my hardware.

I just hope that once 4K becomes the norm, the format will still be Blu-ray, and we won't have many re-releases of titles.

Reactions: TedGeorge
I'm all for the advancement of technology becoming viable in the layman's home. However, DVD is still the preferred format and I can't see 4K becoming a hit until much, much later. I'm definitely waiting a good few years before upgrading my hardware.

I just hope that once 4K becomes the norm, the format will still be Blu-ray, and we won't have many re-releases of titles.

My thoughts as well. A lot o people were quite pissed, that they had to start there collections again with blu ray. And they swore, that this is the last time. I dont see them doing it for 4k again...