Oblivion (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
Release date: Novermber 9, 2020
Purchase link: Zavvi (pre-order 12 noon UK time Saturday October 3rd for Red Carpet subscribers and 6pm for everyone else)
Price: £24.99

12705873-8224804642866525.jpg
12705873-7334804642960665.jpg12705873-1564804642934769.jpg

Last edited:
Same here. I've asked them on fb, see if they come back with anything.

If it's a good finish I'll be tempted by a £22.50 zavvi steel, however unless the blupack is something spectacular can't see me coughing up an extra £36.50 for it.
Yup, same... a nice slip design will be the first hurdle, then obviously a fair price. Hopefully they deliver on both!

• Thanks
Reactions: samdavies
Liking the look of this design even though the stance is quite similar to that on an earlier release - the one with the unusual Fr4me packaging:-

1601683914506.png
/
1601684094600.png

Ehh, ETB just said they have no idea on the finish, it was the studio's decision. Flat and glossy it is! Suppose we can atleast thank ETB for it having a title on the front :rolleyes:
Hmm yeah, they responded to my question about the finish with the same answer. Tbf Universal do occasionally use gloss, so there's still a chance!

Good movie, should look great on 4K. If that’s glossed, will look pretty decent I think. :thumbs:

Reactions: goufcustom
Good movie, should look great on 4K. If that’s glossed, will look pretty decent I think. :thumbs:
well, 4K disc has been released for years now and it’s questionable, even 4K PQ looks good with HDR and all but it’s been heavily filtered with DNR (digital noise reduction) and it becomes really soft, soft enough that even 1080 BD still looks sharper... if you like how 1080 BD PQ looks (its details and sharpness) you might not like how 4K would look though...

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jasong and tommyh84
well, 4K disc has been released for years now and it’s questionable, even 4K PQ looks good with HDR and all but it’s been heavily filtered with DNR (digital noise reduction) and it becomes really soft, soft enough that even 1080 BD still looks sharper... if you like how 1080 BD PQ looks (its details and sharpness) you might not like how 4K would look though...
Interesting, I have got the BR currently and it is a very good picture. I will have a look side by side.

Reactions: goufcustom

Hmm while this isn't my favorite movie, it was a cool space movie and I'm trying to build out a sweet 4k space category.

2001 Space Odyssey, Apollo 13, Interstellar, Passengers etc

I'm looking for really visually amazing space movies on 4k that will really shine as something special.

So this really doesn't look too good on the transfer? I don't have a copy yet, so I wouldn't be double dipping.

Hmm while this isn't my favorite movie, it was a cool space movie and I'm trying to build out a sweet 4k space category.

2001 Space Odyssey, Apollo 13, Interstellar, Passengers etc

I'm looking for really visually amazing space movies on 4k that will really shine as something special.

So this really doesn't look too good on the transfer? I don't have a copy yet, so I wouldn't be double dipping.
well, from videophile point of view, it appears to have less details than 1080 BD but then again you gained HDR and WCG from 4K UHD and i think this is really subjective so you might need to judge this yourself...

anyway i attached here, Oblivion 1080 BD / 4K UHD comparison PQ so you can give it some thoughts, please be noted that they can't capture HDR to show on normal screen so the 4K images here and on your screen TV would look different but you get the idea, overall you'd see that 4K PQs appear to look good through out but check these:

(1080BD / 4K UHD)
if you look at one image of Tom's mustache close up you'd see that on 4K the details are lesser and becomes blurry on 4K
Oblivion-01.jpg

next capture close up on his would face, on 4K it appears to be blurry...
Oblivion-02.jpg

next capture from spaceship, on 1080 BD you can still guess the word ODYSSEY? but on 4K you can barely read it...
Oblivion-03.jpg

so there you have it, hope this helps...
*source HD-Numérique, la référence 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray, Blu-ray et Home-Cinéma pour les passionnés

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: andy01652 and Wreck