Oldboy (2013) - In theaters November 27, 2013

Glen-BoB

Grampie Blu-Clan
Jan 28, 2009
Dartmouth, NS, CaNaDa
From IMDB:
With Josh Brolin, Samuel L. Jackson and much more!

Trailer:

OMG, Shoot me now!

It’s Official Spike Lee Will Direct Oldboy Remake
Written by: Deth_Banger on July 11, 2011

Sorry gang, the inevitable has happened. It was announced just last week, Spike Lee was in talks to helm the remake of Park Chan-Wook’s Oldboy and now it looks as if he has climbed aboard.

Variety is reporting that Spike Lee will direct the Oldboy remake for Mandate Pictures, Variety also reports that Mark Romanek was also in talks to helm the remake, but, Spike Lee eventually came out the victor.

Oldboy “revolves around a man who’s kidnapped and imprisoned for 15 years. When he’s finally released and begins looking into the reason for his captivity, he soon finds out that his kidnapper has even more torturous plans for him.”

Oldboy-350x504.jpg

Attachments

• oldboy-2013-poster.jpg
    oldboy-2013-poster.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 167
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure this movie needed to be remade. I feel like on the title there should be an addition

OLDBOY(2013):for people too lazy to read subtitles

Went and saw this last night.

First off, let me point out that I am a HUGE fan of the original Old Boy movie and have always felt that it should never have been remade for the Western market.

As a remake, it's pretty much a carbon copy, there's nothing really different. If it were a standalone film it would've been great. Josh Brolin however is superb as the lead, with the rest of the cast doing a great job. I'll definatly buy it on BD, but I strongly suggest watching this, then go and watch the original. The original is miles better IMO

Went and saw this last night.

First off, let me point out that I am a HUGE fan of the original Old Boy movie and have always felt that it should never have been remade for the Western market.

As a remake, it's pretty much a carbon copy, there's nothing really different. If it were a standalone film it would've been great. Josh Brolin however is superb as the lead, with the rest of the cast doing a great job. I'll definatly buy it on BD, but I strongly suggest watching this, then go and watch the original. The original is miles better IMO

That's what I've been hearing. I have no interest in watching this one because it's just a westernized version of the original. It was a psycological movie that had the shock factor in a messed up kind of way that only Korean films can pull off. It sounds like the American version focuses more on brutal violence and makes the
incest
part of it in a creepy and gross which completely misses the whole point. The original is definitley messed up but doesn't make you cringe at it. I've heard that this version does.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say it focused too much on the violence, but it was brutal

As for the incest part, it's not creepy or gross and if you haven't seen the original you wouldn't know who it was. It's not as subtle as the original so when the twist hits you were like OMFG!!! in the original, whereas in this leading up to the final act you could see the twist a mile off.

It's not a badly made film at all, and I would suggest if you like the original to definatly give it a watch, if anything for Brolin's performance

Reactions: snsguy
I wouldn't say it focused too much on the violence, but it was brutal

As for the incest part, it's not creepy or gross and if you haven't seen the original you wouldn't know who it was. It's not as subtle as the original so when the twist hits you were like OMFG!!! in the original, whereas in this leading up to the final act you could see the twist a mile off.

It's not a badly made film at all, and I would suggest if you like the original to definatly give it a watch, if anything for Brolin's performance

I guess that's what I liked about the original.
I don't usually like seeing the twist a mile away but for Oldboy it worked well. That is what I'm really not caring for is that the US version. It's more interested in the shock factor. The original wasn't made that way. When you start to figure it out you keep kind of going "no, is that really where they are headed with this?" Then you get to the end and your like "wow that was messed up, but they did it really well." I've seen to many US films where they pull that crap and I just don't like it. I don't need the shock for that subject matter.
I don't know, I guess that's just me.

Last edited:
I think you need to give this a chance in all fairness bud as it's worth a watch (and I'm a HUGE fan of the original, trust me). Anyone who has seen the original is going to know the outcome no matter what so it's not going to make much difference. It certainly doesn't detract anything from the original :)

Reactions: tobes77 and snsguy
I think you need to give this a chance in all fairness bud as it's worth a watch (and I'm a HUGE fan of the original, trust me). Anyone who has seen the original is going to know the outcome no matter what so it's not going to make much difference. It certainly doesn't detract anything from the original :)

Well maybe I will when it gets released on blu then. Thanks for letting me know about cooey. :D

Reactions: cooey
There is no reason for this film to take all the slating its had! I loved it, the original is one of my favourite films and probably didnt need to be remade. But now its done its done and its a good film!! people have decided to hate this film before even watching it just because its a remake and im sure a lot of people just done want to admit they actually liked it so pretend they didnt!

I hate spike lee but hes done a good job with this film! the hallway hammer scene is awesome!