Oldboy (2013) - In theaters November 27, 2013

Glen-BoB

Grampie Blu-Clan
Jan 28, 2009
Dartmouth, NS, CaNaDa
From IMDB:
With Josh Brolin, Samuel L. Jackson and much more!

Trailer:

OMG, Shoot me now!

It’s Official Spike Lee Will Direct Oldboy Remake
Written by: Deth_Banger on July 11, 2011

Sorry gang, the inevitable has happened. It was announced just last week, Spike Lee was in talks to helm the remake of Park Chan-Wook’s Oldboy and now it looks as if he has climbed aboard.

Variety is reporting that Spike Lee will direct the Oldboy remake for Mandate Pictures, Variety also reports that Mark Romanek was also in talks to helm the remake, but, Spike Lee eventually came out the victor.

Oldboy “revolves around a man who’s kidnapped and imprisoned for 15 years. When he’s finally released and begins looking into the reason for his captivity, he soon finds out that his kidnapper has even more torturous plans for him.”

Oldboy-350x504.jpg

Attachments

• oldboy-2013-poster.jpg
    oldboy-2013-poster.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 168
Last edited by a moderator:
Josh Brolin to Star in OldBoy Remake?

Josh Brolin to Star in OldBoy Remake?
Written by: Meh on July 13, 2011

According to the guys over at Twitch, Mandate have Josh Brolin high on their wishlist to star in Spike Lee’s Oldboy remake. This is a great casting choice for the lead but it does not take away from the fact that Spike Lee is not my first, second or even third choice to direct a remake of one of the greatest crime thrillers ever made. Any reason Park Chan Wook can’t direct an english remake of his own film?

OLDBOY tells the story of a man who is kidnapped and imprisoned on his daughter’s birthday. For fifteen years, he is held captive, and, upon his release, must begin his journey to find the reason for his imprisonment. He soon finds out that his kidnapper has plans for him more tortuous than his solitary confinement. The original film, released in 2003, directed by Chan-wook Park won the Grand Prize Jury Award at the 2004 Cannes Film Festival.

Why do you say that?

I'd go check it out if Josh Brolin is in it!

because i hate hollywood for remaking perfectly good films just because there in a foreign language.same with let the right one in,the girl with the dragon tattoo trilogy & countless others.
i will not watch them.

Im the odd duck here, I got tired of watching Oldboy and just couldnt see what everyone else saw in it ... perhaps a remake might actually make me like it better ... who knows.

because i hate hollywood for remaking perfectly good films just because there in a foreign language.same with let the right one in,the girl with the dragon tattoo trilogy & countless others.
i will not watch them.

I was trying to see why, I am with you there. I tend to not watch remakes of perfectly good foreign films. Unless I haven't seen the original lol

Vanilla sky was a brilliant brilliant movie. One of my all time favorites, and it was a remake of a Spanish film and both starred Penelope Cruz interestingly.

I adore OldBoy and do not want it remade. But the info I've heard so far sounds interesting. Don't care for Lee, but he did a good flick in Inside Man, and of course Do the Right Thing is a classic.

I may watch it, but I would prefer that they left it alone.

There are far too many remakes these days. But, I guess The Departed was a remake, and that was good. So perhaps we should give it a chance.

This saddens me massively.

The original is a cult classic and should not be remade imo!

Especially since I heard there was talk of Will Smith being the title actor :(

Suppose there may be hope tho with Spike Lee directing.. but I really hope he manages to catch the same sort of atmospheric feeling the original had!

Any estimated release dates yet?

And here's a big, fat :wtf: moment... the first poster to Spike Lee's Oldboy remake has been released:

1011125_10151827951663949_1810279870_n.jpg

:wtf:

Last edited by a moderator:
This one is going to be a hard sell for me. I really liked the original version and always have a hard time jumping to a remake of such a good film. I am sure I will see it just to see it, but you get the point.

Reactions: AnubisNefer
Bad bad bad is all I can say about this the remakes completely destroy japanese classics like this ring andthe grudge being the worst that spring to mind whatever next?? Battle royale starring r-pats and rhe cast of twilight :( will avoid this like the plague