snooloui

The 'Negative' Ninja
Premium Supporter
Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: September 12, 2016
Purchase link: Once Upon a Time in the West
Price: £15.99
Notes: Includes slipcase. Limited to 2,000 copies.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you kindly for posting pic of slip :thumbs: - was hoping someone would do just that sooner or later . . . but got to say that's one ugly plain Jane j-card from the front !

Don't see any Extras listed on the back but presumably they are there . . .
Been a while since I dug out my old 2011 Amaray to watch (once every few years is enough for me) so don't remember much about the Extras but I remember they were likewise not listed on the back apart from the Commentary and Trailer:
upload_2016-9-9_22-55-1.png

List of Extras from the 2011 Amaray that should be included here:-

"Blu-ray ALL United Kingdom - Paramount Home Entertainment
  • Commentaries:
    Audio Commentary with filmmakers John Carpenter, John Milius, Alex Cox and Bernardo Bertolucci, film historians Sir Christopher Frayling and Dr. Sheldon Hall, and lead actress Claudia Cardinale
  • Extras:
    "An Opera of Violence" documentary (28:49)
    "The Wages of Sin" featurette (19:36)
    "Something to Do with Death" featurette (18:16)
    "Railroad: Revolutionizing the West" featurette (6:21)
    "Locations Then & Now" slideshow (4:41)
    "Production Gallery" slideshow (5:16)
    Theatrical Trailer (2:52)
  • Subtitles:
    Danish, Dutch, English, English HoH, Finnish, French, German, Norwegian, Spanish, and Swedish
  • Aspect Ratio:
    2.35:1
  • Picture Format:
    1080p 24fps AVC MPEG-4
  • Soundtrack(s):
    English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
    English Dolby Digital 2.0 Dual Mono
    French Dolby Digital 2.0 Dual Mono
    German Dolby Digital 2.0 Dual Mono
    Spanish Dolby Digital 2.0 Dual Mono
  • Case type:
    Keep Case
  • Notes:
    Comes with slipcase.
  • Easter eggs:
    Select the Extras menu and press the left cursor. A horseshoe appears in the top right. Press Enter to get the new "music video" trailer.
The US, German, Dutch, and UK editions for having 2 cuts of the film, and having both the 5.1 bump and 2.0 mono tracks.
The Italian has a 5.1 and 2.0 mono track but the 5.1 track is in Italian only.

CUTS
Blu-ray ALL United Kingdom- Paramount Home Entertainment - No Cuts. Includes the Theatrical Version (165:24) and the Restored Version (166:01).

ADDITIONAL INFO:
Differences between the theatrical and restored versions are - Two shots of Jack Elam (15s) are restored to the train station opening, and Harmonica's 'resurrection' after being shot in the opening sequence is extended by 7s. There's also a slight addition of a second or so during McBain's discussion with his daughter."

Last edited:
The slips don't look anything special and that blue J-card looks pretty bad. The steel does look good though! At the right price I would be tempted to pick some of these slipcase Steels up.

happy days. i like the overall image use a lot, although the steel is a little plain, but overall thumbs up. same standard title debossing and full slip with a j-card stuck on it as the Ferris Bueller release.

Edit: that aside, i put the film in to check the disc and immediately watched the whole first 15 minute sequence uninterrupted. because the film is that good, which is the most important thing, at the end of the day. :drool:

full slip

steel book and embossing

Last edited:
caved in and bought it, definitely top 3 westerns of all-time IMO, hoping the slip is decent quality otherwise it's getting chucked

Got it yesterday, not so impressed. I had a hard time removing the glue from the slip, as I really don't care about the flyer. The slip is made of poor paper, very thin. The steel is ok, hopefully Top Gun is better. The movie, of course, is a masterpiece.

Wow this Steelbooks looks very nice. Im not interested on the slip, but the embossing looks finde.
I hope Zavvi/Paramount make similar new embossed Steelbooks for Watchmen, The Untouchables, Sniper and Rango.

I ordered three copies of this to improve my chances of getting a mint condition one. They arrived yesterday and two of them have a very noticable dent and the third one has several paint mistakes and scratches in the back cover in addition to a horribly misaligned spine. This is why I ******* hate steelbook collecting nowadays: out of 10 steelbooks maybe one of two are mint if I'm lucky. If not for dents and scratches, the spine is always misaligned. This isn't Zavvi's fault at all, it doesn't matter where I order the steels and it's every time the same problem. Usually I have to order 5-10 steels and cherry pick the best one and then either return the rest or sell them. It hasn't always been like this, just for the last 1½-2 years or so. Anyone else having the same problem? Back in 2012-2013/4 I pretty much always received a mint condition with a correctly aligned spine, if not on the first try, then on the second at least.

Just sent a message to Zavvi about a replacement order for all three steels... What a lovely ******* hobby this is.

The design is very good on this though.

• Thanks
Reactions: CleverLoginName
I ordered three copies of this to improve my chances of getting a mint condition one. They arrived yesterday and two of them have a very noticable dent and the third one has several paint mistakes and scratches in the back cover in addition to a horribly misaligned spine. This is why I ******* hate steelbook collecting nowadays: out of 10 steelbooks maybe one of two are mint if I'm lucky. If not for dents and scratches, the spine is always misaligned. This isn't Zavvi's fault at all, it doesn't matter where I order the steels and it's every time the same problem. Usually I have to order 5-10 steels and cherry pick the best one and then either return the rest or sell them. It hasn't always been like this, just for the last 1½-2 years or so. Anyone else having the same problem? Back in 2012-2013/4 I pretty much always received a mint condition with a correctly aligned spine, if not on the first try, then on the second at least.

Just sent a message to Zavvi about a replacement order for all three steels... What a lovely ******* hobby this is.

The design is very good on this though.

A few pics of the damage would be nice, If it's not too much trouble.

I've ordered one copy only and it was mint. Maybe you're so unlucky because you're ordering multiple copies. I mean ordering 3 copies and not even one being mint is weird. Either you're very unlucky or just extremely ocd :)

If not for dents and scratches, the spine is always misaligned.

I hear you, buddy. However I can't tell if it's really gotten worse over the years for I'm not into steelbook collecting that long, but I do too have the feeling the amount of steelbooks produced has a negative effect on the overall quality.
I got one question for you: What do you exactly mean with "misaligned" spines? Do you mean the spine plates do not seat neatly in the plastic tray? This can be fixed easily - at least if you open your steelbooks otherwise you're pretty much screwed.
What bothers me much more are spine plates with an off-center print. Check out these two examples:

01.jpg 02.jpg

Both Boogie Nights and Empire of the Sun have this issue. It's no coincidence both are Warner Brothers steelbooks. It's their steels most often to my understanding/observation. Sony, on the other hand, very rarely show this kind of flaw. Except returning it, there's nothing you can do obviously.

I don't mind a little bit of chipped paint on the corners, but am really fed up with the spine issues as presented above.