Parasite (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) [France]

Mar 24, 2013
Release date: February 28, 2020
Purchase links: Amazon FR - FNAC
Price: €34.99 (FNAC) - €32.68 (Amazon)

91klbcgmFaL._AC_SX569_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s not true, and I own about 300+ zavvi steels but I get your point. But not true
oh really. Is it a recent thing then?

All the ones I bought from zavvi are like that. Ragnarok, Far from home, Homecoming, King Kong, Inception, Dunkirk all have that brushed metal look.

It's harder to see on darker steelbooks like dunkirk, but it's there.

My Best buy steelbooks aren't like that.

oh really. Is it a recent thing then?

All the ones I bought from zavvi are like that. Ragnarok, Far from home, Homecoming, King Kong, Inception, Dunkirk all have that brushed metal look.

It's harder to see on darker steelbooks like dunkirk, but it's there.

My Best buy steelbooks aren't like that.

All those you mention except kong are also available in other regions. Not just zavvi (and they don’t decide on finishes anyway).

And there are some more over the years especially with Disney WWA at times but a lot of their exclusives (actual WEA exclusives) don’t.

Dunkirk is a good sample of them using it along with design. So the spark parts have brushed metal making it stand out when you move it in the light.
A lot of old German steels are brushed metal too (with the printed backs etc). Happens with matte if it’s not a thick paint job or has design to show it.

The wwa Disney steels (marvel/ Star Wars/ Pixar etc) from the US usually have a different finish to Europe and other areas anyway. So that explains why you might see less brushed metal with them.

But it’s not just zavvi steels. Entertainment stores ninja turtles has it too. But not every single zavvi steel. Not at all. There more without it compared to those with it. Even some premiums have it if it plays on design (mantas Mitty for example)

And Best Buy have had brushed metal finished steels (Antman wwa, the matt Ferguson ant man, avengers, avengers 2 and civil war to name a few). Even some of the US and Canadian mondo steels have. And others

All those you mention except kong are also available in other regions. Not just zavvi (and they don’t decide on finishes anyway).

And there are some more over the years especially with Disney WWA at times but a lot of their exclusives (actual WEA exclusives) don’t.

Dunkirk is a good sample of them using it along with design. So the spark parts have brushed metal making it stand out when you move it in the light.
A lot of old German steels are brushed metal too (with the printed backs etc). Happens with matte if it’s not a thick paint job or has design to show it.

The wwa Disney steels (marvel/ Star Wars/ Pixar etc) from the US usually have a different finish to Europe and other areas anyway. So that explains why you might see less brushed metal with them.

But it’s not just zavvi steels. Entertainment stores ninja turtles has it too. But not every single zavvi steel. Not at all. There more without it compared to those with it. Even some premiums have it if it plays on design (mantas Mitty for example)

And Best Buy have had brushed metal finished steels (Antman wwa, the matt Ferguson ant man, avengers, avengers 2 and civil war to name a few). Even some of the US and Canadian mondo steels have. And others
I know they're available in other regions, king kong was available in the states too.

I'm not talking about the finish for particular movies, I'm talking about the steelbook itself. The brushed metal thing is all over the steelbook.

Compare a movie that both best buy and zavvi got, the zavvi one has this brushed metal look all over it.

Somebody posted pics of some of their marvel steelbooks in a thread a few months ago, they're all like this.

https://www.hidefninja.com/community/attachments/rsz_img_4867-jpg.454504/

I know they're available in other regions, king kong was available in the states too.

I'm not talking about the finish for particular movies, I'm talking about the steelbook itself. The brushed metal thing is all over the steelbook.

Compare a movie that both best buy and zavvi got, the zavvi one has this brushed metal look all over it.

Somebody posted pics of some of their marvel steelbooks in a thread a few months ago, they're all like this.

Scanavo has different manufacturing plants in USA/Denmark/China
North America releases often will have different paint finish to Europrean/Asia steelbooks

Steelbooks made in USA often will have different colour of paint used beside different finish used to Steelbooks made in Europe
The finish used can be little to big difference.

Zavvi dont make or design any steelbooks they just sell what the film studio/distributor offer them to sell some will be exclusive only available from Zavvi or be a shared print run in Europe (Some of these are released around same time or months later) or be trade wide releases.

Some of the steelbooks with cheaper looking finish are made in China plant.

You do get on some rare occasions Europe releases been better finish than USA releases

Some UK/Europe steelbooks can also have differences with embossing/debossing used or not used.

Zavvi have a King Kong Skull Island Steelbook not yet released in other countries

Last edited:
Reactions: milky and Flloydo
Scanavo has different manufacturing plants in USA/Denmark/China
North America releases often will have different paint finish to Europrean/Asia steelbooks

Steelbooks made in USA often will have different colour of paint used beside different finish used to Steelbooks made in Europe
The finish used can be little to big difference.

Zavvi dont make or design any steelbooks they just sell what the film studio/distributor offer them to sell some will be exclusive only available from Zavvi or be a shared print run in Europe (Some of these are released around same time or months later) or be trade wide releases.

Some of the steelbooks with cheaper looking finish are made in China plant.

You do get on some rare occasions Europe releases been better finish than USA releases

Some UK/Europe steelbooks can also have differences with embossing/debossing

This

I thought that kong steelbook with the Japanese art (with the brushed metal under the red gloss) was only available in the U.K.

Those 3 marvel examples do have brushed metal yes. That whole wave does. But not every U.K. or zavvi release does. That was the whole point of this. I’ve already said that a fair amount of them do. I’m just saying that your original comment is wrong and not every zavvi release has that. Besides, re the first pic: the other countries spiderman with the landmarks all have the same finish (from other countries) with the brushed metal showing and the other 2 pics: (Cap & Thor) the US versions also have brushed metal effects. You can see in the threads pics and videos. But maybe in some cases not as visible at the U.K. ones. Ant man is more noticeable (pics have just been posted)

But what Paul said is correct and wreck once explained that there are certain laws or something with some paint applications and gloss for different countries and manufacturing plants. But there’s still a lot of US steels with the brushed metal visible

I’m pretty sure that most steelbooks (or depending on the material used at that plant) have the same brushed metal look underneath (before the art is applied) and it’s all about the paint application, white levels, thickness of matte paint and gloss used

Last edited:
Can you import subs on any 4K player (as they all connect to Internet from my understanding) or is it just this oppo 203 I see mentioned often?

Can you import subs on any 4K player (as they all connect to Internet from my understanding) or is it just this oppo 203 I see mentioned often?
The feature on OPPO 203 is not related to net connectivity; you need to have the subtitle tracks in SRT files on a USB drive.

I'm not aware of other players that support external subtitles when playing discs.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: Flloydo
To recap for owners of the oppo 203 who have never tried to load external subtitle tracks (.srt) from USB this is the guide how to do so, enjoy.

Create a folder on the root directory of a USB drive called 'sub' and put inside that folder your english subtitle (.srt) named as 'sub.srt'. Load the disc and press the subtitle button on the remote while the movie is playing and select the last option that is on the list which should be use your custom subtitle from USB. Also another one advantage of doing this is that when you playback HDR movies to HDR displays the subtitles can sometimes be too bright in HDR mode or create blooming depending on the peak light output of your display but with the oppo 203 you can change the color of that external sub to a dimmed color from a list of colors, change size, move it up/down etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: sminister
This

I thought that kong steelbook with the Japanese art (with the brushed metal under the red gloss) was only available in the U.K.

That was the whole point of this. I’ve already said that a fair amount of them do. I’m just saying that your original comment is wrong and not every zavvi release has that. Besides, re the first pic: the other countries spiderman with the landmarks all have the same finish (from other countries) with the brushed metal showing and the other 2 pics: (Cap & Thor) the US versions also have brushed metal effects. You can see in the threads pics and videos. But maybe in some cases not as visible at the U.K. ones. Ant man is more noticeable (pics have just been posted)

But what Paul said is correct and wreck once explained that there are certain laws or something with some paint applications and gloss for different countries and manufacturing plants. But there’s still a lot of US steels with the brushed metal visible

I’m pretty sure that most steelbooks (or depending on the material used at that plant) have the same brushed metal look underneath (before the art is applied) and it’s all about the paint application, white levels, thickness of matte paint and gloss used

nah I meant Peter Jackson film that's actually called King Kong. I would've said skull Island if I was talking about that one.

You said "Dunkirk is a good sample of them using it along with design. So the spark parts have brushed metal making it stand out when you move it in the light " so it sounded like something I wasn't talking about. It sounded like you're talking about the spot gloss, but I wasn't talking about the design at all. I'm not talking about the paint finish. I know the finish can be different for movies, depending on the country, but that's not what I'm talking about.

and yes I know zavvi doesn't make the steelbooks lol, but that's where we get them from. I was comparing the ones we buy from them and the ones we buy from best buy. I'm not saying it's a big difference, just pointing out something I noticed from zavvi steelbooks.

So no, the whole point is that you can have 2 steelbooks of the same movie and the same design and finish, and still notice the brush metal look on the zavvi edition. That's all I was pointing out.

Didn't know that US steels can have that too, haven't seen that yet.

I have the US version of the 4k captain america TFA steelbook and it doesn't have the brushed metal look that zavvi edition has. Same with US version of King Kong.

Hi guys, I’m not posting here anymore, but I’ve kept following you all these last years and seems like the forum is still doing great!

Totally in love with this steelbook/artwork, no surprise PA was involved at some level in the project.

About the finish, it looks lovely and very well calibrated with spot gloss (i’ve to check in hands) and debossed details.
I agree that brushed metal effect could look cheap (and it’s actually a cheaper finish), but the smart move here is taking advantage of the texture/reflections thinking about the particular artwork.

Technically, to “fix” the metallic effect they usually put a full white base layer on the steelbook. This increase print contrast and gives the boost to photographic artworks, but you’re kinda losing the whole potential about printing on steel.

Think about “the birds” or “vertigo” and the stunning work they made with white layers, brushed metal reflections, gloss and (obviously) artworks.

Hi guys, I’m not posting here anymore, but I’ve kept following you all these last years and seems like the forum is still doing great!

Totally in love with this steelbook/artwork, no surprise PA was involved at some level in the project.

About the finish, it looks lovely and very well calibrated with spot gloss (i’ve to check in hands) and debossed details.
I agree that brushed metal effect could look cheap (and it’s actually a cheaper finish), but the smart move here is taking advantage of the texture/reflections thinking about the particular artwork.

Technically, to “fix” the metallic effect they usually put a full white base layer on the steelbook. This increase print contrast and gives the boost to photographic artworks, but you’re kinda losing the whole potential about printing on steel.

Think about “the birds” or “vertigo” and the stunning work they made with white layers, brushed metal reflections, gloss and (obviously) artworks.
That`s your opinion mate, but I think that there is no advantage from the texture of the brushed steel, because the comic-style of it is kind of ruined. It would have been better to let the brushed metal away and use a plain one.
The debossing is made very well and the overall artworks is also stunning. But it seems like they didn`t think it to the end.

Last edited:
Reactions: axldelarge
FNAC's shipping never ceases to amaze me. Parasite was shipped on 24th, arrived on 25th. My order contains two steelbooks (both pre-ordered) with release dates one week apart.

Yet they were / are shipped separately (always DHL Express) for the total shipping cost of 4.40 EUR :dizzy::)

Reactions: Premises