Perfect Blue (Blu-ray SteelBook) [France]

Jun 17, 2020
Release date: April 6, 2021
Purchase links: FNAC - Amazon FR
Price: €29.99

131979962_3668540769858733_6337838765329999521_o.jpg.f3e617756496ab0878ba172c5a61d8a8.jpg

61UHfQ4FVuL._AC_SL1319_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: kitsune
Black Swan (2010) definitely stole the basis of their story from Perfect Blue.
Though there's no hard evidence but Darren Aronofsky and Satoshi Kon met in 2001.
I think it's rather obvious he wanted the rights but didn't get them so had others write a story like it for him to direct.

I'll never watch anything by Darren Aronofsky just for this crime alone.

I kinda disagree with this. Black Swan and Perfect Blue share many similarities indeed, but the stories are quite different in my opinion, and certainly not to the point where he stole the story from Perfect Blue. What they end up exploring through their stories and characters is ultimately different. Aronofsky clearly takes a lot of inspiration from Satoshi as many filmmakers do. Nolan for example, you could also argue he 'stole' the basis of Inception from Paprika.
He does actually have the film rights to Perfect Blue, as far as I'm aware it's mostly to recreate two famous shots from the film in both Requiem for a Dream and Black Swan. These are clearly paying homage and calling back to Perfect Blue in recreating them - these are absolutely intentional and aware of the reference.
I can understand your choice to not watch any more Aronofsky, press certainly isn't clear with him acknowledging Satoshi explicitly, but I personally don't have any issues with this.

I'm not a big fan of Anime but I definitely mark for Akira ... while they may be different movies Perfect Blue is something that has always been known for being a quality anime .... so my question is do you think this would be something I might like? Or do you have to be like hardcore anime fan?
Most people have said this well already, but if you can appreciate or enjoy Akira, I personally found this one more accessible apart from maybe being slightly more adult - also it's super short, so no real loss in sticking with it and seeing if you like it! :thumbs: