Jan 27, 2009
San Pedro, CA
Release date: March 25, 2014
Purchase links:
Amazon.com
Criterion.com
Price: 26,19$ / 26,09$

701_DF_box_348x490_original.jpg

By the midsixties, Ingmar Bergman had already conjured many of the cinema’s most unforgettable images. But with the radical Persona, this supreme artist attained new levels of visual poetry. In the first of a series of legendary performances for Bergman, Liv Ullmann plays a stage actor who has inexplicably gone mute; an equally mesmerizing Bibi Andersson is the garrulous young nurse caring for her in a remote island cottage. While isolated together there, the women perform a mysterious spiritual and emotional transference that would prove to be one of cinema’s most influential creations. Acted with astonishing nuance and shot in stark contrast and soft light by the great Sven Nykvist, Persona is a penetrating, dreamlike work of profound psychological depth.
  • New, 2K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New visual essay on the film’s prologue by Ingmar Bergman scholar Peter Cowie
  • New interviews with actor Liv Ullmann and filmmaker Paul Schrader
  • Excerpted archival interviews with Bergman, Ullmann, and actor Bibi Andersson
  • On-set footage, with audio commentary by Bergman historian Birgitta Steene
  • Liv & Ingmar, a 2012 feature documentary directed by Dheeraj Akolkar
  • Trailer
  • New English subtitle translation
  • PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film scholar Thomas Elsaesser, an excerpt from the 1970 book Bergman on Bergman, and an excerpted 1977 interview with Andersson

New cover by Sarah Habibi

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably my favorite Bergman. And the Slip is such a beauty :drool:
This might sound a little weird, but I wish CC would start re-releasing all their digipak editions without the useless DVDs as keep case editions.
This very strategy was applied for the re-release of Tokyo Story earlier this year.

Last edited:
This might sound a little weird, but I wish CC would start re-release all their digipak editions without the useless DVDs as keep case editions.
This very strategy was applied for the re-release of Tokyo Story earlier this year.

I often read that a lot of people are dislike the Digipacks. Or more their OCD was hunted by the different packaging on the shelf.
I must say I really like their Digipacks. I would love that all of their releases comes like this. They bleed quality. But the DVD is useless for me too that's true.

Reactions: zoltan_g
I often read that a lot of people are dislike the Digipacks. Or more their OCD was hunted by the different packaging on the shelf.
I must say I really like their Digipacks. I would love that all of their releases comes like this. They bleed quality. But the DVD is useless for me too that's true.
Yes, the packaging itself is really nice, back in the DVD-era this was the packaging everyone was desperately looking for (me too), but they are too brittle, too risky to order them as well. The 1-disc digis are a bit better, but I am relaxed all the time, when a new CC package turns out to be keep case "only".

• Thanks
Reactions: dan8885
Nashville is about to be re-released in October as a single-disc edition. Someone from an other source confirmed that it is a keep case edition "only".
Breathless is coming in November too. I was wondering if it remains a single.disc digipak, or they will "downgrade" it into a keep case too.
Funny that it was first released as a single-disc digipak, then it was replaced with a dual-format digipak, now the single-disc returns, but in what form? :)

• Thanks
Reactions: dan8885
Yes, the packaging itself is really nice, back in the DVD-era this was the packaging everyone was desperately looking for (me too), but they are too brittle, too risky to order them as well. The 1-disc digis are a bit better, but I am relaxed all the time, when a new CC package turns out to be keep case "only".

It's risky but worth it. I also like their keep cases a lot but when you look at for example Repo Man, Godzilla or Fantastic Mr Fox I wish all would come in that packaging. I just bleeds quality.

Nashville is about to be re-released in October as a single-disc edition. Someone from an other source confirmed that it is a keep case edition "only".
Breathless is coming in November too. I was wondering if it remains a single.disc digipak, or they will "downgrade" it into a keep case too.
Funny that it was first released as a single-disc digipak, then it was replaced with a dual-format digipak, now the single-disc returns, but in what form? :)

I own the dual format digipak but to be honest I really don't need the DVDs. I just like the thicker packaging with 2 discs :oohyeah: I would like to know how they decide which packaging they choose for which movie and why ..