Predator (4K+3D+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Black Barons Collection #17) [Czech Republic]

carllenc

Premium Supporter
Oct 22, 2011
Czech Republic
Release date: October 4, 2018
Purchase link: Filmarena
Price: 899 CZK
Group buy: hosted by carllenc 2D/3D (1 Disc) - 2D/3D/4K (2 Discs)

received_2297954333554441.jpeg

74B8DEF3-D87B-4738-9B3F-49681C890113.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Folks Predator received a remaster which had a theatrical release in France earlier in the year. My money is on this release being the new scan..

The problem is the encode for the blu-ray. The recent one was a new scan but by the time they DNR's it to death it looked like someone had poured vasaline over the print. The film is a very very grainy film (see the laserdisc) and every time someone goes "Oh that needs to be removed". It doesn't . Leave it bloody well alone and you'll get a great pressing. For some reason the Encoding houses seem to think everything should look like it was shot with a red camera.

• Thanks
Reactions: JackRegan
Definitely in for this. Even if it's a pop art steelbook I'll replace it with my 3D lenticular one.

Never had any real problem with the transfer either. Not as bad as some make out

If FAC are gonna release Pred they need to do the rest of them, Pred 1, 2 and 3. There hasnt been a decent Pred 3 release since that awful Play.com one years back. So awful I had to get rid of it and have a gap in the collection with a replacement aamray slip cover instead. I thought by now they would had released another version. Here is when I become @paulboland and @SonicBoom and support a re-release.

The PQ with this film is a seriously major issue. One that has not been addressed and is in dire need of a proper restoration. You're probably get a lovely steelbook but it'll be sitting on your shelf as I would be amazed if you could sit through one of the worst HD pressings ever!
True. Why 20th Century Fox has NOT YET restored Predator, Die Hard & Speed is mind boggling.
(I have yet to see the supposed remaster of Predator that has been mentioned. It sounds a little sketchy. They remaster Predator, but ONLY show it in FRANCE?!!!! That doesn't sound right.)

True. Why 20th Century Fox has NOT YET restored Predator, Die Hard & Speed is mind boggling.
(I have yet to see the supposed remaster of Predator that has been mentioned. It sounds a little sketchy. They remaster Predator, but ONLY show it in FRANCE?!!!! That doesn't sound right.)

Were the Die Hard and Speed that bad? I thought they were pretty standard upgrade to Bluray. Or are you just naming popular movies that deserve a better restoration?

I am well aware of the abominable PQ releases but there is nothing FA can do about that. And yes that is a shame :(
But that aside, the steel itself, the artcards and slips/hardbox can ease the pain a lot ;)
How will the steel itself ease the pain if its the pop art steel???

• Thanks
Reactions: sunnyx
I'm still watching the DVD, I've seen the blu and it's pretty dire = so agreed all the way

Speed and Die Hard at least are not DNR-ed like Predator and they look average at best. Far from being worst in terms of picture quality. There are so many junk transfers of high profiled fillms like Jurassic Park, T2 etc. sitting in the vault out there waiting to.be remastered.

• Thanks
Reactions: JackRegan
Definitely in for this. Even if it's a pop art steelbook I'll replace it with my 3D lenticular one.

Never had any real problem with the transfer either. Not as bad as some make out

Comments like this are slightly painful
(don't mean to have a go at you if that's what it looks like but someone was always going to say it and I would of commented on them)

You haven't seen the bits and bobs yet

What if you don't like the package art? And it's 100% that steel? Then you stuck with a crap steel housed in a rubbish slip for £35
I know you say you will swap it all but isn't that a lot of money just on the package and shipping and not the main attraction, the steel?

Or is it because it's FAC you have to have it?

I've noticed a lot of FAC lovers still like all the packages even if they are rubbish, it's like they can't be honest - again not saying that's you - I don't keep tabs on you plus your purchases divided by your comments lol

Comments like this are slightly painful
(don't mean to have a go at you if that's what it looks like but someone was always going to say it and I would of commented on them)

You haven't seen the bits and bobs yet

What if you don't like the package art? And it's 100% that steel? Then you stuck with a crap steel housed in a rubbish slip for £35
I know you say you will swap it all but isn't that a lot of money just on the package and shipping and not the main attraction, the steel?

Or is it because it's FAC you have to have it?

I've noticed a lot of FAC lovers still like all the packages even if they are rubbish, it's like they can't be honest - again not saying that's you - I don't keep tabs on you plus your purchases divided by your comments lol
It's simple........ it's Predator. I got to have it :thumbs:

It's one of (if not my) favourite films of all time. Definitely one of the ones I've watched the most.

• Thanks
Reactions: cooey and Flloydo
I love the film as well but I have never seen any good pressing in any home format. I still watch my laserdisc as both the DVD and blu-rays were dire. At least the laserdisc has the warts and all grain which is pretty much absent from any other home video release. I seriously have to question a release of a film on a steelbook in which there are serious issues with the actual blu-ray encoding. By all means have a steelbook but only when the pressing is right. The proposed Thing I get as a brand new excellent pressing has just been done by Shout but haven't read anywhere of any forthcoming remastered Predator on blu-ray unless someone on this forum knows otherwise......
Talk of a film showing in France is all very well but as the recent The Man who fell to Earth shows you can do all the restoration you want but if the people doing the encoding for the blu-ray aren't up to the job you have a disaster on your hands. The reviews were serious hostile....
Please let me be wrong but I don't see a glorious blu-ray pressing on the horizon...

It's simple........ it's Predator. I got to have it :thumbs:

It's one of (if not my) favourite films of all time. Definitely one of the ones I've watched the most.

That's fair enough, can't argue with that

Were the Die Hard and Speed that bad? I thought they were pretty standard upgrade to Bluray. Or are you just naming popular movies that deserve a better restoration?
Die Hard looks awful. It looks like an upscale. Speed looks the same.
But this is 20th Century Fox. They don't even care to release The Abyss or True Lies, let alone treat the films that are their crown jewels appropriately.