Prince of Darkness (4K + Blu-ray + CD) (Collector's Edition) [UK]

Strangerbyday

Premium Supporter
Jun 4, 2015
Ireland
Release date: February 18, 2019 - September 20, 2021 (Re-release)
Purchase link: Amazon - HMV - Zavvi
Price: £29.99

81kf0n56HVL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: paulboland
Better late than never! Really hoping they do more of these editions (along with steels) for other Carpenter classics.

Reactions: Tompa
This 4 disc limited Collector’s Edition of John Carpenter’s 1987 cult classic Prince of Darkness has been stunningly restored in 4K.​
Deep in the basement of an abandoned church, once run by a sinister religious sect, lies a strange bottle of green liquid being investigated by a group of local theoretic physics students. But as the night draws in the students soon realise that the relic holds a dark and powerful force beyond their control. A force that could well be the essence of pure evil: the remains of Satan himself.​
This release is beautifully packaged with a stylish, newly commissioned illustration by Matt Ferguson on the cover. It contains a UHD of the feature as well as a Blu-ray feature disc, bonus disc and the original soundtrack on CD. It also contains 5 art cards, a newly illustrated theatrical poster and booklet containing original articles, photography from the set, production notes and an essay from celebrated film journalist Kim Newman.​
The 2018 restoration of Prince of Darkness was made from the original camera negative. A full 4k 16bit Dolby Vision workflow was applied to create a 4K DCP, UHD version and a new HD version which were produced with the same high technological standards as today’s biggest international film releases.​
The restoration and new UHD version was colour graded and approved in Los Angeles by the Cinematographer, Gary B. Kibbe (ASC).​
Bonus material includes:
  • Malevolent: Unearthing John Carpenter’s PRINCE OF DARKNESS: A brand new retrospective documentary produced by Ballyhoo Motion Pictures and featuring interviews with Cinematographer Gary Kibbe, actor Peter Jason, actor Alice Cooper, composer Alan Howarth, script supervisor Sandy King, visual effects supervisor Robert Grasmere, stunt coordinator Jeff Imada, Carpenter biographer John Muir, film historian C. Courtney Joyner, music historian Daniel Schweiger and Producer Larry Carpenters.
  • Intro by John Carpenter – an interview with director John Carpenter originally recorded for a French DVD release in 2003
  • Scene Analysis by John Carpenter – Director John Carpenter analyses key scenes from Prince of Darkness, in an interview from 2003
  • Audio commentary with John Carpenter and Peter Jason
  • Sympathy for the Devil: Interview with John Carpenter – from 2013
  • Horror’s Halloween Hallowed Grounds with Sean Clark – a fun tour of the film’s locations hosted by Sean Clark
  • Trailer
  • Photo gallery incl. Behind the Scene
Includes:
  • Disc 1: UHD Feature
  • Disc 2: Blu-ray Feature
  • Disc 3: Blu-ray Bonus disc
  • Disc 4: Original soundtrack
  • 5 x Art cards
  • Theatrical poster
  • Booklet
01-526503.jpg

Better late than never! Really hoping they do more of these editions (along with steels) for other Carpenter classics.
Studiocanal don't have the distribution rights for other John Carpenter films as they are with different film distributors

They only have distribution rights for The Fog/Escape from New York/They Live/Prince of Darkness

I have pre ordered this so I have the complete set of limited edition collectors editions
I gather they sorted out the soundtrack licence rights to release this as a collectors edition

@paulboland do you know how many units they did for Limited editions and how many for Steelbooks?
I don't know the print run for digipack editions but they are limited and most StudioCanal limited edition releases sell out shorty after release date bar a few exceptions

Steelbooks print run I would take a guess at a least 4,000 but likely to be more with same steelbook been released in UK/Germany/France only difference is amount of discs included and jcard

This might take a bit longer than the Fog and Escape From New York to sell out but I would suggest to pre order if it's a must have in your collection to avoid missing out just in case it does sell out quickly after release date.

Reactions: Tompa
Very happy I switched from the LE's to the Steelbooks. These are very flimsy and the artwork is very repetitive. The steelbooks are much better IMO

Thanks mate! Already preordered like anything from Carpenter.

I don't know the print run for digipack editions but they are limited and most StudioCanal limited edition releases sell out shorty after release date bar a few exceptions

Steelbooks print run I would take a guess at a least 4,000 but likely to be more with same steelbook been released in UK/Germany/France only difference is amount of discs included and jcard

This might take a bit longer than the Fog and Escape From New York to sell out but I would suggest to pre order if it's a must have in your collection to avoid missing out just in case it does sell out quickly after release date.

Reactions: paulboland
A website, I've never heard of, Deff.com, has it for £27.49. Anybody ordered from them before?

Curious... I've searched everywhere, and I've only found one or two mentions of them at other forums (none of which are helpful), and a Facebook page that's got zero likes and posts. I did a test order, and the shipping outside the UK is always £5 which seems suspicious. I'm tempted to give it a go since they accept PayPal, and I'm running out of places to import UK releases now.

In the interest of protecting our members, I've removed that link, until members on here can attest to the trustworthiness of that site.

A website, I've never heard of, Deff.com, has it for £27.49. Anybody ordered from them before?
In the interest of protecting our members, I've removed that link, until members on here can attest to the trustworthiness of that site.

I did some more digging around, asked around on Facebook and stuff. A few people had heard of them, but only one person I know had actually used them. They ordered a Criterion digipack to Germany in December and it arrived safely, but in a jiffy bag. So I guess even if you want to take a punt, they're probably not a good option for this particular release knowing how notoriously fragile these Carpenter digipacks are.