PS3 Slim News Megathread

Jan 29, 2009
The number of E3 rumors are starting to escalate, and we're starting to wonder if gigantic announcements will be in abundance at the show...

As most of you are aware, a new PSP - quite possible the PSP Go! - will be unveiled during Sony's press conference, but that may not be the end of the new hardware announcements. According to PlayStation LifeStyle, a new iteration of the PlayStation 3 may be headed our way soon. We have no idea what sort of alteration one can expect; as the site says, it may just be new colors like the Matte Silver or the Ceramic White. We're actually expecting that anyway, as the silver and white Dual Shock 3 controllers will soon be arriving at retailers nationwide. But the other possibility is a slimmer, lighter PS3, which is a rumor that has been circulating for quite some time (take a look at the launch PS2 and the current Slim PS2, for instance). It's just that the word "redesign" could mean almost anything so at this point, the imagination's the limit... We don't believe it'll be a whole new model with different features and a bigger hard drive, but you never know; they might introduce one so as to issue a price drop. That's what we really want.

Well, it's just another bit of speculation that will run wild for the next few weeks. At the very least, it'll keep people talking, right?

The PS3 Slim is ALREADY OUT for sell at my best buy!!!

IMG_1473.jpg

IMG_1475.jpg

me holding the slim.

I was just at gamestop and they had a stack of them. The guy told be he already sold 3 this morning. Probable going to get one in the next couple of weeks.

need to get a 2nd tv before i can even think about getting a 2nd ps3.

heck, need to get out of school and start making $ before i can even think about buying something more expensive than...... lunch... :(

Okay, so we've gone through the first weekend with both Sony and Microsoft's competitive consoles coming in at the same price point...and the PS3 Slim has taken the early advantage.

We'll have to wait until the NPD releases their findings, but for the time being, we can check the world's largest online retailer. If we do so, we find that the Slim was ranked #1 in Amazon's Video Game division while the Xbox 360 Elite came in at #15. Consumers who wish to compare the two systems beyond the price - which is no longer relevant, as both consoles sport that $299 price tag - may find the differences fall in favor of Sony. With the built-in Blu-Ray player, free PlayStation Network, PlayStation Home, and impending top-notch exclusives over the next six months, both gamers and casual entertainment fans have begun to spot the PS3's appeal. Video game sales fell a great deal during the summer, but then again, there hasn't been much of anything to push those sales forward. All those must-have titles are on the way, though, and with none of the three major consoles priced over $300, most analysts believe we'll see a big holiday season. After the announcement of the PS3 price drop, the NPD predicted we might see a 40-60% sales spike.

All the hubbub surrounding the new PS3 Slim has propelled Sony to an early lead in this new, evenly matched price war. Can it continue onward through December...?

source: psxextreme.com/ps3-news/5721.html