PS3 Slim News Megathread

Jan 29, 2009
The number of E3 rumors are starting to escalate, and we're starting to wonder if gigantic announcements will be in abundance at the show...

As most of you are aware, a new PSP - quite possible the PSP Go! - will be unveiled during Sony's press conference, but that may not be the end of the new hardware announcements. According to PlayStation LifeStyle, a new iteration of the PlayStation 3 may be headed our way soon. We have no idea what sort of alteration one can expect; as the site says, it may just be new colors like the Matte Silver or the Ceramic White. We're actually expecting that anyway, as the silver and white Dual Shock 3 controllers will soon be arriving at retailers nationwide. But the other possibility is a slimmer, lighter PS3, which is a rumor that has been circulating for quite some time (take a look at the launch PS2 and the current Slim PS2, for instance). It's just that the word "redesign" could mean almost anything so at this point, the imagination's the limit... We don't believe it'll be a whole new model with different features and a bigger hard drive, but you never know; they might introduce one so as to issue a price drop. That's what we really want.

Well, it's just another bit of speculation that will run wild for the next few weeks. At the very least, it'll keep people talking, right?

The number of E3 rumors are starting to escalate, and we're starting to wonder if gigantic announcements will be in abundance at the show...

As most of you are aware, a new PSP - quite possible the PSP Go! - will be unveiled during Sony's press conference, but that may not be the end of the new hardware announcements. According to PlayStation LifeStyle, a new iteration of the PlayStation 3 may be headed our way soon. We have no idea what sort of alteration one can expect; as the site says, it may just be new colors like the Matte Silver or the Ceramic White. We're actually expecting that anyway, as the silver and white Dual Shock 3 controllers will soon be arriving at retailers nationwide. But the other possibility is a slimmer, lighter PS3, which is a rumor that has been circulating for quite some time (take a look at the launch PS2 and the current Slim PS2, for instance). It's just that the word "redesign" could mean almost anything so at this point, the imagination's the limit... We don't believe it'll be a whole new model with different features and a bigger hard drive, but you never know; they might introduce one so as to issue a price drop. That's what we really want.

Well, it's just another bit of speculation that will run wild for the next few weeks. At the very least, it'll keep people talking, right?

Good news. Whether it's new colors or slimmer etc, that'll be cool.

I actually believe this can happen, I mean didn't production cost decreased in the past few months? I can see this happening, but who knows if they'll actually do it.

Rumor shot down by SONY UK

E3's just around the corner and, as always, speculation as to what guns the big three platforms holders are going to fire is rife, the latest being of a redesigned PS3 to be revealed at the show next month.

According to reports, Sony is preparing to make TWO hardware redesign-related announcements, one widely believed to be a new PSP, and the other now speculated to be a (possibly slimmer) redesigned PS3.

Sony UK, however, has told us today: "We currently don't have any plans for a redesigned PS3", so you can throw that one out the window.

Could we see a new controller, maybe? Sensor bars seem to be all the rage at the moment (as rumoured for both Sony here, and Microsoft here).

The days of relaxing in your chair while play games are OVER!

source: computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=214873

take it for what its worth

its coming from playstionlifestyle. plus the article is written like its from a middle school child.

not happening

Um, this is from PSXextreme... not PSlifestyle.

thats why i can't stand psxextreme. they never link their sources...

http://playstationlifestyle.net/2009/05/12/redesigned-ps3-to-be-revealed-at-e3/

Of course this is just yet another rumor, as there is no official confirmation. But we caught word that Sony is set to not only reveal the PSP Go at E3, but another hardware redesign will be debuted as well.

We didn’t get any specifics, but we speculate that it could be one of a couple different options. First off, it very well could be as simple as a white or a silver PS3, to go with the white and silver Dualshock 3’s that have been made available. This makes sense, as most people would want their controllers to match their consoles.

The other option, and the one we are leaning toward is a slimmed down, model. Maybe with some updated specs. Nothing major of course as to not alienate current PS3 owners, but there is an off chance they could add something small like bluetooth 3.0 support. When we caught wind of this, the exact word “redesign” was used, which leaves me to believe that it is indeed a PS3 slim. Announcing a different color wouldn’t exactly warrant the term “redesign”.

Then again, since a console wasn’t specified either, it could be a redesigned PS2, or yet another PSP model (other than the Go) but that is highly unlikely. There is also an off chance that this “hardware redesign” was referring to a PS3 Motion controller, but I really don’t consider that to be “hardware”, as it’s more of an accessory.

Sony has been known to slim down their consoles, as the original PlayStation, PS2, and even the PSP all have seen slimmer models released after the initial model was released. Is the market ready for a PS3 slim? I know I am.

Stay tuned to PlayStation LifeStyle for all your E3 coverage needs. Something Colossal is coming soon…

so sorry saying the op sounded like a child..THIS is the article i thought was posted

edit: it says right in the article its from playstationlifestyle cali...

According to PlayStation LifeStyle

ps3_slim_box.jpg

While rumors have been swirling that Sony will be announcing a PS3 Slim, the company has stated earlier that it "currently has no plans" for a redesign. That was then, this is now.

Today, pictures of what appears to be a redesigned PS3 have appeared on Chinese message boards. The picture seem to come from a manufacturing plant.

ps3_slim_gloves.jpg

There is stuff about these grainy, blurry pics that does make them look rather dubious — mainly the new logo (bye bye SPIDERMAN FONT!) and the questionable-looking plastic shell casing. It looks more like a PS3 knock-off than a Sony redesign.

A logo change during the middle of the PS3's console life is rather suspicious, because during the PS2-era, Sony did not change the console's logo. However, Ken Kutaragi, father of the PlayStation, was running the show. He's not anymore. These photos don't just show a hardware configuration, but a hardware rebranding: The logo has changed from PLAYSTATION 3 to the shorter PS3 branding.

ps3_slim_casing.jpg

As seen with the slimmer PlayStation consoles Sony has released in the past, a PS3 Slim does seem inevitable. But is it inevitable right now? If so, is this the machine? This is all exceedingly heavy on the rumor and speculation, so we're not 100 percent convinced. Then again, we first saw the PSP-3000 through dodgy pics (quick reminder here and here).

ps3_more_casing.jpg

What does look convincing is that box. If there's anything to pin your hopes and dreams on, it's that piece of cardboard.

We have contacted Sony regarding these images.

I don't like the looks of that one bit.

The pictures just have top by itself the bottom is in the last pic. now put those two together, it looks the same, but much smaller, kinda cool, I want to see it put together, but this maybe the Polystation 3 from China.. idk..