Question for Canadian Members

jcm

Premium Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Texas
I know you guys have the CFL up there, that I watch on the NFL network, but I was wondering how popular is American Football in Canada?

Also, what are you guys' favorite NFL team.

I think it would be pretty cool if the NFL added some of the CFL teams

Last edited:
I think the NFL is very popular in different parts of the Canada. I'd venture a guess that Ontario would probably have the higher concentration of NFL supporters (taking population numbers out of the equation).

I recently heard that Toronto and Hamilton (the 2 southern Ontario teams) were the lowest revenue earners and many fans from the prairie provinces were complaining about why Toronto was chosen to host the 100th Grey Cup this year (which we ended up winning).

I know different corporations have wanted to land an NFL franchise in Toronto for years either through expansion or relocation. Many speculate that such a move would cause the Ontario teams to die and perhaps kill the CFL all together.

In the 90's expansion into the US failed and it was the NFL helping the CFL out with a $3 million interest-free loan that kept the league from folding. Things are significantly better now, but by no means is it overly profitable in certain markets.

I don't see the CFL and NFL ever merging as the games are different (3 downs in the CFL and 4 in the NFL - both have pros and cons). As interesting as it would be to have an NFL team in Toronto, many feel that expansion into Europe might happen before Canada is even a true consideration. Not sure how that would play out having a team in Europe. Can't say players would be overly enthused about having to fly across the pond to play road games.

In the Elway years I was a Broncos fan, but he retired on top when Peyton Manning was coming into the league and my attention switched over to the Colts. I'm still very much a Colts fan, but with Peyton in Denver now I'm sort of torn. As long as Green Bay, New England, Pittsburgh, and to lesser extents Houston and the Giants don't win I'm happy, lol.

In the NFC I like the Vikings (big AP fan).

Reactions: jcm
I like everything you said till you got to Houston. We have always sucked, what's wrong with us getting some shine! lol.

Reactions: jcm