Release date: March 7th, 2016
Purchase link: Rambo
Price: £12.99
Notes: Limited to 2,000 copies.

11241313-7654361733676230.jpg

11241313-4994361733814632.jpg

11241313-8074361733743070.jpg

Last edited:
Arrived today and, yes, perfectly acceptable for the price and I've paid quite a bit more for steels with similar colouring and "feel" (recent examples being, "American Psycho" and Terminator Genisys") and looking at those two I got to thinking that a touch more red would have improved it considerably (as in the Amazon German edition).

Maybe of minor interest but another thing I DO like (apart from the front image itself, the de-bossed title and the shiny metallic paint/spot-gloss on the weaponry) is the way the front image is perfectly framed by the all black colouring of the spine and opening edges which is a very nice touch IMO - certainly a rare one for a U.K. steelbook - and glancing at my shelves I can see only 4 others done like this (where the image on/colour of the front face does not "go over the edge") with these four being, "Misery", "JFK", "The Beyond" and "The Princess and the Frog".
A misleading mock-up and a misleading "creative" - as can be seen when compared to in-hand pics - but a decent steelbook nonetheless and one that has received almost universally favourable feedback with the main issue for me at least being the non-existent black framing border (which would have allowed for proper 'bossing of the front image,as I was expecting) because in the flesh the black spine and black opening edges makes up the "frame"
7/10

Hoping that the next of my few remaining pre-orders with Z. - "Last Action Hero" - will be more like what I'm expecting than this one !!!

Last edited:
Eh its decent. Might grab it if its convenient at some point. Certainly not worth the fuss everybody created in here before its release.:hilarious:

I personally think this turned out really nice! But then the recent American Psycho steelbook is one of my favourites, so what do I know? :p

Yes, it IS a decent item, despite being NOT AS EXPECTED (judging by the misleading mock-up and "creative" description).
Any previous enthusiasm on my part has now been tempered by seeing "live" pics and after receiving my copy the other day.

Yes, it IS a decent item, despite being NOT AS EXPECTED (judging by the misleading mock-up and "creative" description).
Any previous enthusiasm on my part has now been tempered by seeing "live" pics and after receiving my copy the other day.
The actual product looks a lot better than the mock-up IMO... the black border wasn't do anything for me.

The actual product looks a lot better than the mock-up IMO... the black border wasn't do anything for me.
Would have been interesting, though, with a proper framing border (even in black) and proper 'bossing on the front - i.e. not just the title - but each to his/her own.
This one could have been SO much better - the dog's bo - - - - - s, in point of fact and even though it's only a friggin' steelbook with a mock-up that looks like an elephant has stomped on it - with the spine and opening edges made to look like they are part of the front . . .
Luckily any feeling of disappointment over this has been more than lifted for me by the recent release of a few Warner Archive U.S. Region Free releases including "The Wrong Man" (1956), "The Big Sleep" (1946) and most especially "Key Largo" (1948) and "I Confess" (1953) :thumbs::happy: Happy days !

What was I expecting with this one? - that's simple . . . and a quick run-down would include the following:-
- SOLID COLOUR BORDER FRAME in the style of "Beauty and the Beast" or "Tarzan" (without the gold inner "mount").

- EMBOSSED RAMBO FIGURE in the style of the Tarzan figure on the "Tarzan" SB chosen as a random example and similar to many other SB's where the main image is at the same level as the raised framing border.
This would have given an added dimension to this steelbook appealing to the sense of touch as well as to sight. A touch of quality as it were - as if they've gone the extra mile to give the purchaser something better and dare I say it more expensive-looking than just a flat image.

Possible TITLE ISSUE with this only because of its current position partly in the artwork . . . and would have preferred it separate in the style of the "Iron Man" SBs (i.e. vertically positioned and EMBOSSED in the free space down the right side).

Admittedly a BIG FAN of embossing on steelbooks because of the added texture it gives and imagine how different those lovely Disney steels would have looked if they had they been flat . . . :(
(To see the massive difference between flat and embossed one only has to look at the example of the 2 variant Blu-ray Amaray slipcover editions of "Jennifer's Body" with both finishes available back in the day . . . and nobody is going to convince me that the embossed/contoured slipcover edition is not a zillion times better than the flat slipcover edition !).

By the same token an embossed Stallone would have transformed this steel into something far less ordinary (IMO).

Of course, flat is good too (and not just on futurepaks / metalpaks which, going by U.K. examples, are almost universally flat with the only exception, if I remember correctly, being the lovely "500 Days of Summer" with the embossed title.

Same applies to steelbook finishes - some will feel that a gloss finish rather than a matte or zero varnish finish suits some better than others and vice-versa.

Last edited:
Would have been interesting, though, with a proper framing border (even in black) and proper 'bossing on the front - i.e. not just the title - but each to his/her own.
This one could have been SO much better - the dog's bo - - - - - s in fact . . . IMO.
The black border took away from the main image IMO... and honestly, I'm sick of most steels being given a border with random embossing on certain features of the art. I'm all for simplicity though, so simple debossing on the title works perfectly for me. :)

Shame you aren't completely happy with it anyway, as I know you had high hopes and were looking forward to this one... I've been there myself many times with steels over the years lol.