Raya and the Last Dragon (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

snooloui

The 'Negative' Ninja
Premium Supporter
Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: May 18, 2021
Purchase link: Zavvi (live for Red Carpet, general sale at 12 PM - UK time)
Price: £32.99

RATLD (with j-card).jpg

RATLD (inside).jpg

RATLD (back).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I've seen a few pictures too, and the back certainly looks to be totally matte. Hard to tell from the front without an angled shot, but it's possible the spot gloss finish info was just wrong.

Well that’s just a f**king disappointment. Look at the streak, marks and chips on the back. Seriously why are we constantly f**ked over with these. Even more so after the price hike

Reactions: Noodles
Well that’s just a f**king disappointment. Look at the streak, marks and chips on the back. Seriously why are we constantly f**ked over with these. Even more so after the price hike
To be fair disney 4k steels have always been a disgusting £33.. The back does look poor though, I won't lie. Streaky black is the worst. Front looks good, but that may just be the lighting. I'll probably be importing the bestbuy release by the looks of it.

To be fair disney 4k steels have always been a disgusting £33.. The back does look poor though, I won't lie. Streaky black is the worst. Front looks good, but that may just be the lighting. I'll probably be importing the bestbuy release by the looks of it.

weren't they £30 up until 4K got more popular? I can’t remember

I just can’t afford the importing. Postage is just too expensive from the US. I do need the US Dumbo still though. Ours don’t have a spine title and debossing

weren't they £30 up until 4K got more popular? I can’t remember

I just can’t afford the importing. Postage is just too expensive from the US. I do need the US Dumbo still though. Ours don’t have a spine title and debossing
I may be wrong, but I thought Disney's were £33 from the get go, starting with GOTG2. If it wasn't with that one, it was shortly after though.

It's not so bad, depending how you get them. I did a mini GB with a mate and I think soul cost me about £35. Highly recommend getting bestbuy dumbo if you can, beautiful glossy and debossed.

Reactions: Flloydo
You know what, i seriously can’t tell what that finish is. The light reflects off it like it’s gloss but I’m starting to think it’s all zero finish. Wish someone would just state the actual f**king finish :LOL:

Edit: found another video. Guy said it has no spot gloss and is more a metallic satin: zero finish. Wank*rs

Reactions: Stygian
You know what, i seriously can’t tell what that finish is. The light reflects off it like it’s gloss but I’m starting to think it’s all zero finish. Wish someone would just state the actual f**king finish :LOL:

Edit: found another video. Guy said it has no spot gloss and is more a metallic satin: zero finish. Wank*rs
Yep, 100% no spot gloss on this release. Saying that, it does still look sharp and well coloured. Well the front does anyway..

I don't think it's zero, it looks nicer than Soul did. Kinda reminds me of the satin varnish the original UK batman begins had.

I may risk this one to see for myself and pop an order in, when the price drops anyway. Can't see it selling out any time soon.

Yep, 100% no spot gloss on this release. Saying that, it does still look sharp and well coloured. Well the front does anyway..

I don't think it's zero, it looks nicer than Soul did. Kinda reminds me of the satin varnish the original UK batman begins had.

I may risk this one to see for myself and pop an order in, when the price drops anyway. Can't see it selling out any time soon.

yeah the other video I see the guy said satin. Which seems more accurate. Might sound a bit snobby but I only trust myself when it comes to finishes and not the guys who review them. 9 times out of 10 they are wrong or don’t have a clue. Unless it’s blatantly gloss or matte

saying that, I can’t see this being satin on the front and matte on the back. Don’t think I’ve ever seen that. And that back is certainly streaky matte in the picture

yeah the other video I see the guy said satin. Which seems more accurate. Might sound a bit snobby but I only trust myself when it comes to finishes and not the guys who review them. 9 times out of 10 they are wrong or don’t have a clue. Unless it’s blatantly gloss or matte

saying that, I can’t see this being satin on the front and matte on the back. Don’t think I’ve ever seen that. And that back is certainly streaky matte in the picture
Same, I genuinely don't understand why people make videos like this when they blatantly don't know what they're talking about. Not necessarily saying the guy in the longer video is a culprit, but the vast majority of them are, and it makes me trust very few as a result.

Reactions: Flloydo
Does it come with a Digital copy?

The Best Buy Steel comes with the Digital copy and I missed out so wondering if the Zavvi Steel has the Digital copy?

I don’t think digital codes are even a thing in the U.K. anymore. Personally not seen one in while. Could be wrong. But I’m sure this don’t come with one

• Thanks
Reactions: Alf_1
Does it come with a Digital copy?

The Best Buy Steel comes with the Digital copy and I missed out so wondering if the Zavvi Steel has the Digital copy?
No. New UK releases no longer come with digital copies, from any studio. The market is dead over here.

• Thanks
Satin finish more a N. America thing and very rare in Europe so this ROW steel most likely has a zero finish what with all those light reflections going on on both sides . . . In addition, looks like metallic effects are present in the blue circle behind the dragon ...
1621726353465.png
1621724810890.png

... and the silver parts of the sword could be spot gloss
1621725012961.png
1621725843493.png

Anyway, the front art is seriously good.

No. New UK releases no longer come with digital copies, from any studio. The market is dead over here.
Wow, Digital is dead there really... I like physical and digital and many times get both.. Thats why I like having the US copies that come with all versions.
They need to bring back 3D...
Are there still international 3D releases?

3D on my Samsung looks better then some 4k movies for me. Especially , a movie like Raya would be great in 3D..

Are there any Lenticular versions of this movie... I was going to get the Zavvi one but everyone here kind of bummed me out about it and it has no Digi code..

Wow, Digital is dead there really... I like physical and digital and many times get both.. Thats why I like having the US copies that come with all versions.
They need to bring back 3D...
Are there still international 3D releases?

3D on my Samsung looks better then some 4k movies for me. Especially , a movie like Raya would be great in 3D..

Are there any Lenticular versions of this movie... I was going to get the Zavvi one but everyone here kind of bummed me out about it and it has no Digi code..
3D is pretty much dead everywhere now, including the UK. Disney were the only real repeat 3D releases, but since they stopped, we haven't had regular 3D releases now for a while. Parts of Europe and Asia still do, but that'll eventually run it's course too. This is currently the only steelbook design available of raya, only difference between the US and the rest of the world is a glossy vs zero finish (and the digital code).

• Thanks
3D is pretty much dead everywhere now, including the UK. Disney were the only real repeat 3D releases, but since they stopped, we haven't had regular 3D releases now for a while. Parts of Europe and Asia still do, but that'll eventually run it's course too. This is currently the only steelbook design available of raya, only difference between the US and the rest of the world is a glossy vs zero finish (and the digital code).
I hope 3D will make a return because with the right 3D TV And certain 3D movies looked Amazing and even better then Movie Theater 3D...

Some movies are done really well in 3D.
It will be a sad day when my 3D TV fails. I hope more 3D enthusiast will bother Samsung from time to time asking them to bring back 3D Tv’s

I actiually like MATTE steelbooks sometomes more then Full Gloss because I have OCD with scratches and more times then not my Full Gloss steels come with many light scratches vs Matte usually is harder to scratch.
Thats why Im not sure to get the Zavvi since others were saying it looks bad compared to the US and Im thinking I kind of like a Matte finish with this release around the same..

If the Full Gloss was guaranteed to come scratch free and no damage I would be for Full Gloss, But Steelbool.com in the past recent years has fallen with many QC issues..

Many times my Full Gloss is totally scratched freshly out of the shrink wrap. However, the factory handles these in production is causing more damage and defects.

After They re-realeased How to Train your Dragon in Best Buy almost everyone in 10 BEST Buys I went to and all had some kind of defect or flaw. I have better luck with Matte steels...

Then I get a BluFans Full Gloss and 9 out of 10 times its perfect.. Not sure how Blufans can have much better QC with releases when STEELBOOK.com makes the steels for everyone? WEIRD.

One of the best Steel producers Blufans Disney decides to pull the plug on China Steelbook licenses and that really stinks

Last edited:
Reactions: samdavies
And even when releases did come with digital codes, very few Disney releases in the UK came with them anyway. In fact, only Toy Story 3 comes to mind.