Remix or Original Audio?

Blu-ray Audio.... remixed or Original

• Remix all the time (like to use every speaker i have)

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Original Mono all the way baby (1.0, 2.0 or 4.0)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • all depends on the quality of the audio mix itself

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Through the TV so N/A

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

bigrob

UK Reviewer /Contributor
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Jan 8, 2012
London UK
just a general question (with poll added)

when viewing a film on Bluray, for the older films, do you generally listen to the original audio mix (2.0 or Mono?)

or listen to the remix (5.1 and above)

i understand that some titles include both, and some don't include one or the other

I prefer the original audio if i'm being honest on older films but will always test the remix to see how it pans out

Last edited:
I listen to the remix all the way. Why deny yourself the pleasure of complete and fulfilling surround sound? If I wanted to listen to it on mono or stereo I'd just use my TV and throw the $10k stereo system out in the trash. EEK!

some good answers here

like i said, it all depends on the remix for me. I'll give the remix a go and there are some older titles that really do sound good

there are a few though where they sound awful

the Terminator has updated sound effects for the 5.1 mix (gunshots, explosions) that sound really out of place. also during the title sequence, there was the sound of scraping metal that could be heard in the background. this was removed for the 5.1 mix?

also Suspiria. I'm quite lucky to own the Image Laserdisc with the original audio (4.0 downmixed to stereo) - when compared to the DTS-6.1 (or DD 5.1 EX) mix on the Anchor Bay DVD, it's two completely different beast. missing audio cues, volumes increased for no reason etc. there is a bit more detail here with clips to compare

http://whiggles.landofwhimsy.com/writings/dvdimage-suspiria.html

also, Steven Spielberg's Duel

why oh why did they replace the dino roar at the climax with an ordinary horn for the 5.1 remix :(

on the plus side though, there are some very good remixes out there

of the top of my head

Psycho (the documentary on the BD how they restored the audio was amazing)
Akira (i use the Hypersonic Dolby TrueHD 5.1 track as demo material)
Das Boot (remixed in 1997)
Halloween

Last edited: