IRON MAN

E.D.I.T.H.
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Dec 28, 2012
Everywhere
Release date: February 8, 2022
Purchase links: Amazon - Best Buy - Walmart - Target
Price: $42.99 (Best Buy) - $40.49 (Amazon - Walmart - Target)

81nUul0zuvL._SL1500_.jpg

Thanks @BluSteel2012 for the heads-up

Last edited:
Why is this so expensive?
Price will drop before release date

Amazon often list MSRP first then price drops at various stages before release date as they match Best Buy and some other USA retailers
MRSP is $55.99 that is not the actual retail price only a suggested price by the distributor and most times does not stay at MRSP with most major retailers

Pre order price promise covers any price drop

MRSP is $55.99 that is not the actual retail price only a suggested price by the distributor and most times does not stay at MRSP with most major retailers
None of the other UHD steelbooks had such a high MSRP, probably ever. It's hard to find official press releases nowadays, even official studio websites and 'social network' pages turned into moronic 12-year-old's blurbs, but I don't remember such prices.

america applause GIF by Idiocracy

None of the other UHD steelbooks had such a high MSRP, probably ever. It's hard to find official press releases nowadays, even official studio websites and 'social network' pages turned into moronic 12-year-old's blurbs, but I don't remember such prices.

america applause GIF by Idiocracy
Amazon price will drop before release date as I have explained multiple times previously on other releases that had a list price aka MSRP when first goes live on Amazon websites

Pre order price promise covers any price drop that happens after you pre order upto release date

MSRP for the 4K amaray in USA is $40.99 and that is what Amazon also have listed
The Amaray will also drop in price by release date with various USA retailers including Amazon

Some retailers pre order prices that start with MSRP drop quickly or take longer to happen but happens by release date

The only exception is when a retailer has a exclusive that sometimes stays at MSRP and sold out before a price drop could happen and why would they drop the price if they already sold all stock at MSRP

The other exception is a small retailer that can't afford to price match the bigger retailers

MSRP is provided by the distributors to retailers its not made up prices
It's calculated based on dealer price + standard profit margin + any tax (Vat) that might apply

Most of the big retailers end up selling a lower price by release date as they can afford to drop price and still sell at a profit but that can depend on what file discounts they have with supplier.
The more you regularly order with a distributor as In large regular orders the better chance of getting a decent file discount

A retailer can decide to sell at lower or higher price at various stages before and after release date or keep price at MSRP
It will depend on that retailer profit margin and file discounts they have.

Some retailers set profit margin to be lower or higher than standard

The main retailers like Amazon/Best Buy have much better file discounts with distributors than smaller retailers would have.
That is why you see bigger price drops with Amazon and Best Buy

It has happened sometimes when retailers price match each other they end up selling at dealer price as in break even price (No Profit) or even sell at a loss

A release not selling well its often better to sell at a loss than have no revenue
We as customers gain when that happens but the retailer is not making any profit.

As more people switch to streaming the retail price of physical media will stay at high prices.

Some retailers if lucky have SOR or SOE with suppliers but that don't happen now as much compared to a few years ago

Last edited:
Amazon price will drop before release date as I have explained multiple times previously on other releases that had a list price aka MSRP when first goes live on Amazon websites

Pre order price promise covers any price drop that happens after you pre order upto release date

MSRP for the 4K amaray in USA is $40.99 and that is what Amazon also have listed
The Amaray will also drop in price by release date with various USA retailers including Amazon

Some retailers pre order prices that start with MSRP drop quickly or take longer to happen but happens by release date

The only exception is when a retailer has a exclusive that sometimes stays at MSRP and sold out before a price drop could happen and why would they drop the price if they already sold all stock at MSRP

The other exception is a small retailer that can't afford to price match the bigger retailers

MSRP is provided by the distributors to retailers its not made up prices
It's calculated based on dealer price + standard profit margin + any tax (Vat) that might apply

Most of the big retailers end up selling a lower price by release date as they can afford to drop price and still sell at a profit but that can depend on what file discounts they have with supplier.
The more you regularly order with a distributor as In large regular orders the better chance of getting a decent file discount

A retailer can decide to sell at lower or higher price at various stages before and after release date or keep price at MSRP
It will depend on that retailer profit margin and file discounts they have.

Some retailers set profit margin to be lower or higher than standard

The main retailers like Amazon/Best Buy have much better file discounts with distributors than smaller retailers would have.
That is why you see bigger price drops with Amazon and Best Buy

It has happened sometimes when retailers price match each other they end up selling at dealer price as in break even price (No Profit) or even sell at a loss

A release not selling well its often better to sell at a loss than have no revenue
We as customers gain when that happens but the retailer is not making any profit.

As more people switch to streaming the retail price of physical media will stay at high prices.

Some retailers if lucky have SOR or SOE with suppliers but that don't happen now as much compared to a few years ago

Surprised Owl GIF

OMFG! Sir, dude, or intelligent entity... are you serious with that essay?!
It looks like one of those auto-generated AI replies from customer service robots in an email or chat.

I know what MSRP is, I know the selling price is usually reduced, I know about Amazon's preorder guarantee, and overall I'm ordering from them for more than 20 years, I know how all that works.

I was saying something entirely different, that the price is unusually, even uniquely high, especially for such a movie.

And all prices are 'made up', the most valuable thing physically in that release is the steelbook itself, which is what makes me wonder why they valued this particular 'intellectual property' higher, than almost everything else before it (adding 'almost' because I don't have proof or statistics about prior MSRPs).

Feels like they're testing the waters on a less significant title, as if to, indeed, raise all prices in the future for physical media customers freaks, like us.

Amazon now $40.49
Seller Amazon USA shipped from Amazon USA
£40.67

'Nice' pricing - are they not aware of currency exchange rates? They do that with Euro, but doing the same with UK pounds is preposterous.
It's not a matter of 10 bucks and some disc, it's with everything. For example, I'm looking to buy a big telly right now, but due to such pricing, have to pay the equivalent of $3000 for a model that costs $2000 in the US.

'Nice' pricing - are they not aware of currency exchange rates? They do that with Euro, but doing the same with UK pounds is preposterous.
It's not a matter of 10 bucks and some disc, it's with everything. For example, I'm looking to buy a big telly right now, but due to such pricing, have to pay the equivalent of $3000 for a model that costs $2000 in the US.
Amazon usa Global Shop listing on Amazon UK is £38.17
Price includes Vat and free shipping
UK delivery address only with USA Amazon Global Shop listings on Amazon UK

Amazon USA Website UK customers cant order after release date they have to use USA Global Shop on Amazon UK instead
UK customers can do pre orders on Amazon USA website but not after release date.
Once release date arrives customers with a UK delivery address have to use USA Global Shop on Amazon UK instead and the price listed includes vat and free shipping

When it was available to pre order on Amazon USA website for UK delivery address the $40.49 price did not include shipping or vat that was extra
Example If I was to order from Amazon USA website today for delivery to Rep of Ireland the price when shipping and Vat is added is $64.29

UK customers with a UK delivery address using Amazon USA website with Amazon as the seller will see
Temporarily out of stock.
We are working hard to be back in stock as soon as possible.

The £40.67 is third party seller RAREWAVES USA does not include shipping and vat that's extra

• Informative
Reactions: Lenny Nero
This should get a quick price drop after release from best buy assuming the price scares off some buyer and lingers in warehouse.

Amazon USA Website UK customers cant order after release date they have to use USA Global Shop on Amazon UK instead
UK customers can do pre orders on Amazon USA website but not after release date.
Once release date arrives customers with a UK delivery address have to use USA Global Shop on Amazon UK instead and the price listed includes vat and free shipping

UK customers with a UK delivery address using Amazon USA website with Amazon as the seller will see
Temporarily out of stock.
We are working hard to be back in stock as soon as possible.
Wow, I did not know that. Just tested with a UK address on Amazon.com, that's a serious limitation. I guess they're forcing people that way to use the local website, and local prices, which just underlines my point of regional price brackets.
Shipping being included in those Amazon US seller items is a good bonus, I suppose.

Reactions: paulboland
Wow, I did not know that. Just tested with a UK address on Amazon.com, that's a serious limitation. I guess they're forcing people that way to use the local website, and local prices, which just underlines my point of regional price brackets.
Shipping being included in those Amazon US seller items is a good bonus, I suppose.
Some new releases ends up been cheaper with the USA Global Store on Amazon UK than if you pre order from Amazon USA
It don't happen with every release but has done on a lot
USA Global Store price drops happen daily and weekly
It can be better option sometimes for UK members to wait to go live with USA Global Shop on Amazon UK but I would only suggest this on a release that's unlikey to sell out before release date

Amazon USA Global has lot of upcoming USA releases listed on Amazon UK but they don't go live to order until after release date.
You see listed as Temporarily out of stock before release date
A release been available to order will depend on Amazon US still have stock available after release date
So some don't go live to order at all for that reason as in either Amazon US have very little stock or sold out

USA listings on Amazon UK
This also why there has been some releases that got threads created in past few months on HDN by some members as a UK release by error when it's actually a USA release from USA Amazon Global Shop that's not gone live yet on Amazon UK
Amazon USA Global Shop listings when live to order it will list as USA import and seller be listed as Amazon US and Shipped by Amazon US but before release date you don't see that info that it's a USA import
You can though tell USA and UK releases apart from each other very easily
USA DVD/Blu-ray/UHD titles will have a Tuesday release date and UK releases have Monday release date

Reactions: Lenny Nero