Saving Private Ryan (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: August 16, 2021
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre-order on July 3, at 12 PM for Red Carpet, at 6 PM general sale - UK time)
Price: £27.99

Front.jpg

Back.jpg Inside.jpg

To put a “film” down for being grainy seems silly to me. Film IS grainy; that’s how the picture is made up from strips of “film”. You cant just crank up the exposure on a dial like modern digital movies. in low light conditions you have to use higher rated film that is more grainy. Brighter conditions allow for slower film with fine grain. 24 frames of film per second means even on a still shot there are 24 different “photographs”. If the new 4K scan has been done properly you get a beautiful glistening picture. I love the look of older films in 4K, they are a true joy to watch. And I can honestly say this movie looks wonderful. They’ve done a great job.

Find it silly then. I can’t f**king stand grainy films. Love oldboy, hate the grain. Ruins films. Glad to hear the 4K is decent. As long as it’s better than that awful Blu ray transfer then it’s a win in my book. Now give me a premium 4K with better art than this sh!t

Iconic poster on the front inspiring equally effective posters for other movies such as ...

1625311304459.png
1625311331501.png
1625311611858.png
1625311747515.png

... with a different treatment this time around
1625311910085.png
would make this steelbook a must buy.

Reactions: jailbird_joey
Find it silly then. I can’t f**king stand grainy films. Love oldboy, hate the grain. Ruins films. Glad to hear the 4K is decent. As long as it’s better than that awful Blu ray transfer then it’s a win in my book. Now give me a premium 4K with better art than this sh!t
Hey I’m not putting you down your own preferences; just saying by using DNR on these classics you’d be destroying them. At some point directors will stop using film so grain will become a thing of the past - a win for you. Personall, I love the sparkly effect of a good scan but I also like modern digital films such as Bladerunner 2049.

Reactions: MrSquifler
Hey I’m not putting you down your own preferences; just saying by using DNR on these classics you’d be destroying them. At some point directors will stop using film so grain will become a thing of the past - a win for you. Personall, I love the sparkly effect of a good scan but I also like modern digital films such as Bladerunner 2049.
Directors will never stop using film.

Iconic poster on the front inspiring equally effective posters for other movies such as ...

View attachment 510301
If they just used this as the complete cover for the front without the ammo box border I'd be in

Given it's been a couple of years since the best buy version I really was hoping for something different this time around but sadly no.. The only minor thing I will say is that the ammo box style will look better with a matte finish (as it undoubtedly will be) compared to gloss imo

I like grain. It gives the image more depth and authenticity, I think. Even if film is no longer used, they might add film grain in post processing just for style.

I mean, the 80's are long gone but that doesn't stop film makers making 80's style films.

I will buy this steel just because I haven't owned it before. but yeh, unfortunate they re-used the old design. at least its not pop art.

Reactions: MrSquifler
Even if film is no longer used, they might add film grain in post processing just for style.
25 years ago - working with early AVID units - I used to love playing around with early film plugins.
A chance to add some character back into high quality, but often soulless broadcast/digital footage.

Reactions: levi