Shrek - 20th Anniversary Edition (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

tommyh84

Not Mine
Premium Supporter
Apr 28, 2011
Release date: July 12, 2021
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre-order on May 15, at 12 PM for Red Carpet, at 6 PM general sale - UK time)
Price: £25.99
Notes: 4K + BD + BD Bonus

45E2BDEE-AE7E-4715-83FC-BDF2BB9ABD84.jpeg
71D957B9-3B08-4D31-81EB-B2F7F5579CE5.jpeg
8794E46A-DDF0-45D4-BD16-54FFA1E7F5B1.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to know. However, now we know you’re an insider at universal and that can of worms has been opened, prepare for savage backlash when a steel has sh!t art or a poor finish. ;)
Do you think that might be why there are not many of us actually interacting with you guys on here? Every steelbook you guys rubbish is someone's hard work and some of the comments are pretty brutal! Conversely though a nice comment can make someones day! Your comments for example I have just forwarded to the product manager who worked on this steelbook and she was thrilled after all the negativity. We do look at everything you guys say and constructive comments are always welcome. The empty sky on the front of this steel where we have left the title treatment off is a good example. Next time we will make the key art bigger or include the title treatment so it doesn't look off. The person who commented that the back should have had a border to match the front, we will take that on board also. Comments like that are so much better than people just saying something is sh*t. Please, please keep those comments coming!!

Do you think that might be why there are not many of us actually interacting with you guys on here? Every steelbook you guys rubbish is someone's hard work and some of the comments are pretty brutal! Conversely though a nice comment can make someones day! Your comments for example I have just forwarded to the product manager who worked on this steelbook and she was thrilled after all the negativity. We do look at everything you guys say and constructive comments are always welcome. The empty sky on the front of this steel where we have left the title treatment off is a good example. Next time we will make the key art bigger or include the title treatment so it doesn't look off. The person who commented that the back should have had a border to match the front, we will take that on board also. Comments like that are so much better than people just saying something is sh*t. Please, please keep those comments coming!!

Oh I get it. We’ve had people who run the premium companies have accounts in the past (EB) and retailers like zavvi and then the accounts go dead but the thing is this forum has thousands of members. For all kinds of things but it’s heavily tilted to the steelbook collecting side. Some of us have been collecting 7/8/9/10 years with hundreds upon hundreds of releases on our shelves. And Although taste is subjective we kinda know what we like. It don’t always line up with others views which is fine (sometimes I love something everyone hates or vice versa) but we do seem to get shunted a lot with steelbook arts and designs - not always but it happens a lot and again more recently with 4K reissues. Some seem like no heart or thought process have gone into it and all creativity and good art works have left the chat.
So from your point of view I completely get it, but I’ve always said to people they need to look at the good and the bad. Pro active feedback is obviously the best but when someone is brutal it’s usually either because that’s a film that means a lot to them and this new art work has rubbed them the wrong way or we are just sick of re issues and it’s never with the best art out there. Especially when a steelbook has had 6 versions and the company still hasn’t managed to rumble up something decent.
personally I love this (and I’m not even that much of a shrek fan - although I love the second) and yeah ok a border might of worked on the back but this release also reminds me of some of the zavvi Disney steels with cool front art and then an artistic scene on the back (like brother bear off the top of my head)

glad to hear you passed the feedback on. But when you say she was thrilled after the negativity, do you also mean this art or the minimal US version? Because personally I can’t stand that, but others do love it. So it’s swings and roundabouts and imo any designer/ artist/ creator needs to understand that things can be good or bad to someone else. The people who only want to hear the good aren’t helping themselves. But praise where praise is due I think this one is great.

Some here can’t stand illustrated arts when a cool original poster already exists and has not been used. Some here are bored of poster arts and like something new and creative. Personally I like both if I like that art. But you will never please everyone. I think that’s only been achieved a handful of times in steelbook history. Usually with a premium or the odd random release like the total recall 4K steel from last year.

Also I just want to add that my original comment to you was kinda a joke because I know what we are like on here.
I’m very aware of how brutal we can be. Myself included.

Last edited:

There are some pretty great mockups that are done by members here that are done in their spare time and honestly seem to be ignored by the studios in general.

It's not new artwork, it's often approved images from the film that are used, and yet what we end up seeing as the actual steelbook that the studio chose, looks like it was designed in
photoshop in 20 minutes or less.

Look at what Lionsgate in the USA is doing for their re-releases of titles in 4K. Most members here love those steelbooks and PET slips (obviously they spent some funds with new art).

I think the negativity here comes from the frustration of being let down, continually, when members favorite films are released with a steelbook that they'd rather skip in purchasing
because the package is less than appealing (and also marketed as a premium product!)

It's obvious that Lionsgate in the USA spent a lot of time creating a new design and considering an entire package that would appeal to collectors looking to either upgrade to 4k or
rebuy a title they already had on blu-ray.

There are some pretty great mockups that are done by members here that are done in their spare time and honestly seem to be ignored by the studios in general.

It's not new artwork, it's often approved images from the film that are used, and yet what we end up seeing as the actual steelbook that the studio chose, looks like it was designed in
photoshop in 20 minutes or less.

Look at what Lionsgate in the USA is doing for their re-releases of titles in 4K. Most members here love those steelbooks and PET slips (obviously they spent some funds with new art).

I think the negativity here comes from the frustration of being let down, continually, when members favorite films are released with a steelbook that they'd rather skip in purchasing.

It's obvious that Lionsgate in the USA spent a lot of time creating a new design and considering an entire package that would appeal to collectors looking to either upgrade to 4k or
rebuy a title they already had on blu-ray.
And this

@johnnythm you guys should check out works from @Noodles and @Wonga tor example. They rarely miss. RARELY ;)

And it’s a shame that studios take no notice of them or if they do they keep it hush (it’s seems sometimes - when a blufans looks very similar) and like @apsmith21 said a lot of these artworks are available by the studios

@johnnythm one last thing. Finishes

finishes have a big impact on steel art too and how a release can turn out. I don’t know if this is a separate division or part of the design team and process but we need better finishes. We are a bit sick of metallic thin layered streaky bacon matte steels. Some recent universal release have had this. Look at get out, the invisible man, Halloween (2018) for example. All awful finishes. The artworks are rather minimal and boring too (except Halloween that uses Bill Sienkiewiczs work) so you can understand why we get annoyed. A good example of a great universal steel is The Witch - great art and a stunning glossy finish.
Finishes should be (imo) full gloss or spot glossed but the matte parts on spot gloss need to be thick and non streaky. (This is with all steels though, not just universal). Embossing or debossing never disappoints either

Oh I get it. We’ve had people who run the premium companies have accounts in the past (EB) and retailers like zavvi and then the accounts go dead but the thing is this forum has thousands of members. For all kinds of things but it’s heavily tilted to the steelbook collecting side. Some of us have been collecting 7/8/9/10 years with hundreds upon hundreds of releases on our shelves. And Although taste is subjective we kinda know what we like. It don’t always line up with others views which is fine (sometimes I love something everyone hates or vice versa) but we do seem to get shunted a lot with steelbook arts and designs - not always but it happens a lot and again more recently with 4K reissues. Some seem like no heart or thought process have gone into it and all creativity and good art works have left the chat.
So from your point of view I completely get it, but I’ve always said to people they need to look at the good and the bad. Pro active feedback is obviously the best but when someone is brutal it’s usually either because that’s a film that means a lot to them and this new art work has rubbed them the wrong way or we are just sick of re issues and it’s never with the best art out there. Especially when a steelbook has had 6 versions and the company still hasn’t managed to rumble up something decent.
personally I love this (and I’m not even that much of a shrek fan - although I love the second) and yeah ok a border might of worked on the back but this release also reminds me of some of the zavvi Disney steels with cool front art and then an artistic scene on the back (like brother bear off the top of my head)

glad to hear you passed the feedback on. But when you say she was thrilled after the negativity, do you also mean this art or the minimal US version? Because personally I can’t stand that, but others do love it. So it’s swings and roundabouts and imo any designer/ artist/ creator needs to understand that things can be good or bad to someone else. The people who only want to hear the good aren’t helping themselves. But praise where praise is due I think this one is great.

Some here can’t stand illustrated arts when a cool original poster already exists and has not been used. Some here are bored of poster arts and like something new and creative. Personally I like both if I like that art. But you will never please everyone. I think that’s only been achieved a handful of times in steelbook history. Usually with a premium or the odd random release like the total recall 4K steel from last year.

Also I just want to add that my original comment to you was kinda a joke because I know what we are like on here.
I’m very aware of how brutal we can be. Myself included.
I knew it was a joke and took it as such ;-) Appreciate you taking the time to write such a long reply. I agree art is subjective and yet there are some commonalities you can pick up from this forum that are super helpful. And I work in the UK team, we did the Zavvi steelbook. I don't think either our steelbook nor the US one were perfect but it was good to hear you liked our one!

Reactions: Flloydo
@johnnythm one last thing. Finishes

finishes have a big impact on steel art too and how a release can turn out. I don’t know if this is a separate division or part of the design team and process but we need better finishes. We are a bit sick of metallic thin layered streaky bacon matte steels. Some recent universal release have had this. Look at get out, the invisible man, Halloween (2018) for example. All awful finishes. The artworks are rather minimal and boring too (except Halloween that uses Bill Sienkiewiczs work) so you can understand why we get annoyed. A good example of a great universal steel is The Witch - great art and a stunning glossy finish.
Finishes should be (imo) full gloss or spot glossed but the matte parts on spot gloss need to be thick and non streaky. (This is with all steels though, not just universal). Embossing or debossing never disappoints either
Good feedback. Sometimes on lower run titles we cant add the finishes we would like but we always try and do it if we can. Have just added a great emboss to Smoky and the Bandit

Ignore all these clowns, they don't know anything. I on the other hand would be happy to offer my expert opinion on a consultancy basis but I doubt Universal could afford my hourly rate. I'll tell you this for free though: put the title on the front of the Steelbook. Thanks.

I knew it was a joke and took it as such ;-) Appreciate you taking the time to write such a long reply. I agree art is subjective and yet there are some commonalities you can pick up from this forum that are super helpful. And I work in the UK team, we did the Zavvi steelbook. I don't think either our steelbook nor the US one were perfect but it was good to hear you liked our one!

Was your project manager initially receiving bad feedback for this? You said she was thrilled after the negativity.
Good feedback. Sometimes on lower run titles we cant add the finishes we would like but we always try and do it if we can. Have just added a great emboss to Smoky and the Bandit
Is that because of a cost issue where you can’t add certain finishes? Or is that a rule for a lower print run with Scanavo?
Good to hear about smoky. I’ve not ordered that but that’s nice to hear if that’s not common knowledge yet. I think the lighthouse was the last universal steel I bought. I love that it matches the witch with the animal art on the back. Front is great too but could of done with a title and some spot glossing or even full gloss considering the witch was full gloss but it’s a decent steel for matte I suppose.

You got any insider knowledge on some films getting the steel treatment in the future? :naughty:;)

I think it looks great, hence I ordered it straight away when it became available for red carpet members :D

In regards to the title space, I like it the way it is, makes it look like a proper picture/photo/painting style. You'll always see two camps about the titles being there or not and it will always be hard to please both camps. If you would use the space it may get too busy or overly filled. Or if you just move everything up, it will look cramped at the top as it needs some sky in order not to look like a cut off picture.

Would be cool if multiple mock-up art work/layouts could be done first and have a poll for the favourite one on Zavvi’s social media or something or at least have feedback from fans on what to add/remove/improve and to amend Steelbook artwork accordingly before finalising ready for pressing/manufacturing. Maybe more people would be happy then rather than moaning with what’s received after having no input or say in what they like and don’t like.

I personally like the Steelbook much better than the Best Buy version. I do usually prefer titled steelbooks overall on the cover and spine, although I don’t mind just artwork on its own sometimes but the spine is always a must! The only thing I’d agree with is having the back bordered like the front like another member pointed out, just so that it feels more cohesive overall. I’ll still be picking this one up and have pre-ordered.

Last edited:
Reactions: RMA and Noodles
Is it safe to assume Shrek UK will be a matte finish steelbook?

• Thanks
Is it safe to assume Shrek UK will be a matte finish steelbook?

would also like to know this.
It’s screaming gloss, any animated steel does but if it’s matte then I may have to pass altogether

Reactions: MM3
Was your project manager initially receiving bad feedback for this? You said she was thrilled after the negativity.

Is that because of a cost issue where you can’t add certain finishes? Or is that a rule for a lower print run with Scanavo?
Good to hear about smoky. I’ve not ordered that but that’s nice to hear if that’s not common knowledge yet. I think the lighthouse was the last universal steel I bought. I love that it matches the witch with the animal art on the back. Front is great too but could of done with a title and some spot glossing or even full gloss considering the witch was full gloss but it’s a decent steel for matte I suppose.

You got any insider knowledge on some films getting the steel treatment in the future? :naughty:;)
Smokey was one where we actually were able to change the artwork based on feedback, switching the front and back artwork and adding an emboss. Often when a print run is small we are limited by Scanavo to the finishes we can have - this often happens on UK only steelbooks like Lighthouse last year which was a significantly lower run to The Witch which was an international release

• Helpful Post
Smokey was one where we actually were able to change the artwork based on feedback, switching the front and back artwork and adding an emboss. Often when a print run is small we are limited by Scanavo to the finishes we can have - this often happens on UK only steelbooks like Lighthouse last year which was a significantly lower run to The Witch which was an international release

Good to know. Cheers.

It’s a shame scanavo have so many rules and limits depending on region and print size. You’d think that when paying for these you can have what you want but that don’t seem to be the case. Most of us here know a lot about this anyway but it’s always good to have regular updates from other sides I suppose. I think there’s been a couple of witch SteelBooks (One in Canada too) but I meant the original zavvi version which I thought was only available in the U.K. I didn’t realise it was also available in Italy and Finland. Such a fantastic release

DBA436F9-70E4-4FAD-91EF-47EA629AB9A5.jpeg