Premium Supporter
May 3, 2011
Montreal
4.50 star(s) Rating: 4.50/5 2 Votes
Title: Solo: A Star Wars Story

Tagline: Never tell him the odds.

Genre: Action, Adventure, Science Fiction

Director: Ron Howard

Cast: Alden Ehrenreich, Emilia Clarke, Woody Harrelson, Donald Glover, Paul Bettany, Thandie Newton, Joonas Suotamo, Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Erin Kellyman, Ian Kenny, John Tui, Charlotte Louise, Clint Howard, Anthony Daniels, Dee Tails, Attila Vajda, Kiran Shah, Lily Newmark, Samantha Colley, Warwick Davis, Sema-Tawi Smart, Linda Hunt, Jon Favreau, Anna Francolini, Andrew Woodall, Shaquille Ali-Yebuah, Eben Figueiredo, Aaron Heffernan, Hal Fowler, Damian Farrell, Fraser Kelly, Jason Wong, Alice Hewkin, Robert Morgan, Miles Richardson, Sammy Hayman, Rona Morison, Dempsey Bovell, Joseph Charles, Dave Chapman, Katy Kartwheel, Harley Durst, Ray Park, Samuel Witwer, Andrew Jack, Richard Dixon, Deepak Anand, Peter Vo

Release: 2018-05-23

Runtime: 135

Plot: Through a series of daring escapades deep within a dark and dangerous criminal underworld, Han Solo meets his mighty future copilot Chewbacca and encounters the notorious gambler Lando Calrissian.

Reactions: Noodles
could not agree more just got back myself really liked it but thought a better title would have been
when han meet chewie

i think people will be plesantly surprised if you go in with no expectations. imho does not really get going until han has his first meeting with chewie :D:D:D:D:D:D

You're right! I think one of the reasons why I liked it so much is Chewie isn't a side character (like he has been in the last few movies). He is a Main Character. Chewbacca has always been one of my favs in Star Wars and its great to see him actually get something to do!

• Thanks
Reactions: Basil
Saw it today an thought it was pretty good. Much better than the last Jedi and Rogue One.

Not really a spoiler but there is a relatively short scene that is more of a traditional war movie scene. I really wish they would make a gritty Black Hawk Down movie and finally put the wars in Star Wars.

• Thanks
Reactions: kaw
I gotta say guys, I was very happy with the film.
I went in very skeptical (Especially about Ehrenreich) but i was pleasantly surprised!!!
He did a great job. He got Han's mannerisms down but yet isn't doing an impression, bottom line... it worked.
The dynamic between him and Chewie is great and to be honest when they first meet is when the film finally finds its footing.

Glover as Lando was perfect. But you already knew that.

Some little things here and there didn't work but I won't get into them to stay away from spoilers.
But overall this was just a really fun movie. I liked it more then Rogue One.

Its crazy to think that a film with this much behind the scenes mess turned out to be good is a miracle. haha
It actually made me want more "Solo" movies. I hope they do a Solo Trilogy now.

Oh and just a heads up. There is a big SPOILER out there... It was a fun surprise and I would hate for it to get ruined for anyone. Be careful out there ninjas.

Completely agree. I came out of this really happy.

Ehrenreich really grows into the role of Han as the film goes along and unlike TLJ everyone is true to their characters.

• Thanks
Reactions: kaw
Its too bad this isn't doing that well at the Box Office (By Star Wars standards).
Pretty sure if they released this in Dec like the other movies, it would have done much better.

Having this come out so soon after TLJ (fatigue and for some, bitterness) and then right after two huge blockbusters doesn't help either. And the summer is just getting started. Incredibles 2 and Jurassic World 2 are right around the corner which is going to hurt its legs. I think this is poor planning and placement on the part of Lucasfilm and Disney.

Its too bad this isn't doing that well at the Box Office (By Star Wars standards).
Pretty sure if they released this in Dec like the other movies, it would have done much better.

Having this come out so soon after TLJ (fatigue and for some, bitterness) and then right after two huge blockbusters doesn't help either. And the summer is just getting started. Incredibles 2 and Jurassic World 2 are right around the corner which is going to hurt its legs. I think this is poor planning and placement on the part of Lucasfilm and Disney.
IMO, Lucasfilm & Disney will seriously regret this move... they should have kept the December release even if the movie was ready. They got us used to go Watch a Star Wars movie in December (like 3 years in a row) and since TLJ was such a mess with the fans, letting the dust settle would have been way more efficient if you ask me...
I know Disney/Lucasfilm won't have any money issue after this failure... but the real loosers in this are going to be us the fans as this movie was an opening for a bigger story and now that the numbers are in, it will probably ends here for this...

Personnally, I loved Solo. I'm a Star Wars fan and it's a Star Wars movie. So... what else can I ask more?

IMO, Lucasfilm & Disney will seriously regret this move... they should have kept the December release even if the movie was ready. They got us used to go Watch a Star Wars movie in December (like 3 years in a row) and since TLJ was such a mess with the fans, letting the dust settle would have been way more efficient if you ask me...
I know Disney/Lucasfilm won't have any money issue after this failure... but the real loosers in this are going to be us the fans as this movie was an opening for a bigger story and now that the numbers are in, it will probably ends here for this...

Personnally, I loved Solo. I'm a Star Wars fan and it's a Star Wars movie. So... what else can I ask more?

I'm worried about that too. I really want to see more of this story...
Maybe now instead of a "Solo 2", they could maybe insert the seeds they planted into the Boba Fett film? (depending on the timeline they set it in)

But still. The box office numbers aren't horrible. Just not good by star wars standards. Most studios would kill to have an opening weekend like this.
Most regular movies that bring in those kinds of numbers get green lit for sequels without a second thought.

There is still a chance @Drum18.

giphy.gif

Just got back from seeing it and have to go with the crowd and say it was a lot better than expected and I hope it gets a sequel as I'm invested in these characters now (both the new ones and the new take on the originals)

7/10

IMO, Lucasfilm & Disney will seriously regret this move... they should have kept the December release even if the movie was ready.

It's Star Wars - if people wanted to see it they would go see it any time of the year. I think people need to stop making excuses for it performing poorly (by Star Wars standards). I was a huge fan growing up with SW - saw EP1/2/3/7/8 and Rogue One on opening THU or midnight (before they had THU shows). Yet after watching the Solo trailers I had little interest in seeing this one. I probably will eventually go see it. I saw the trailer play many times during movie previews and you could sense it got a cringe worthy response each time. Supporting sub-par products just because you're a fan just means lower quality standards going forward from the studios. Ask yourself if it weren't attached to Star Wars, how much interest would you have based on the trailers and marketing?

Now I know it's not fair to judge by trailers alone, but reviews and word of mouth have been more or less in line with my thoughts of the trailers.

I haven't even bothered to see the last 3 Transformers movies - my other childhood obsession.

It's Star Wars - if people wanted to see it they would go see it any time of the year. I think people need to stop making excuses for it performing poorly (by Star Wars standards). I was a huge fan growing up with SW - saw EP1/2/3/7/8 and Rogue One on opening THU or midnight (before they had THU shows). Yet after watching the Solo trailers I had little interest in seeing this one. I probably will eventually go see it. I saw the trailer play many times during movie previews and you could sense it got a cringe worthy response each time. Supporting sub-par products just because you're a fan just means lower quality standards going forward from the studios. Ask yourself if it weren't attached to Star Wars, how much interest would you have based on the trailers and marketing?

Now I know it's not fair to judge by trailers alone, but reviews and word of mouth have been more or less in line with my thoughts of the trailers.

I haven't even bothered to see the last 3 Transformers movies - my other childhood obsession.

I will agree that the marketing for this film was... not good. The posters didn't have that epic star wars feel, they were actually borderline bad.
The trailers didn't do much for me either but as a Star Wars fan, I went and turned out I was very happy with the film. You should go!

Its easy to understand why it did poorly. And I don't think these are excuses. The average person can't go to the theater to see everything. its too expensive. They have to pick and choose. Everyone and they dog already went and saw Avengers and they will only come out for 1 or 2 more films this summer. With the below average marketing of Solo it wasn't something a lot of people felt needed to see in this busy summer.

Thats why Dec was so great for Star Wars. There is less competition and it also created a tradition that people would do around Christmas. They would go as families. Its perfect. It also gives more space between films which is key in creating excitement for a film.

So in the end its a combo of a lot of things, Bad Marketing, Bad Timing, and Star Wars Fatigue.

But you should go. Its a fun time. :thumbs:

I went to my second viewing this weekend and it is even better. I came away feeling like that first time I saw Star Wars (episode 4) back in 1977. Ron Howard did a great job directing it - the pacing with the right cuts to keep the story flowing knowing a large portion of the viewers are very familiar with the backstory or fore-story. I was invested in the characters especially the new ones simply because they fit in the Star Wars universe so effortlessly. The action scenes, man oh man, the action scenes are why I love Star Wars in the first place. The casting is amazingly spot on - Ms Clarke is superb with just enough sexiness to keep things PG-13 as is Mr Glover who is convincing as the young Lando.

If you have not seen it but are a Star Wars fan, go see it. You will be very very happy you did.

Some underused/unnecessary characters and a rather forgettable villain aside, Solo still delivered in the most important areas for me... the main one being Han and Chewy's bromance. Seriously, Ehrenreich nailed it as far as I'm concerned! Now all I need is a Chewbacca origin story and I can die a happy Star Wars nerd. :D

I got the Chewy and Han cards but I really want that Lando one!
I wanted to grab a bunch so I could give them away on here, but I barely even managed to get one of each for myself... seriously, there was like a mob of people all gathered around a small table and arms were flying everywhere! I was only able to get the Chewy one because I picked it up off the ground lol.

I wanted to grab a bunch so I could give them away on here, but I barely even managed to get one of each for myself... seriously, there was like a mob of people all gathered around a small table and arms were flying everywhere! I was only able to get the Chewy one because I picked it up off the ground lol.

Haha that sounds insane. Every smuggler for himself!

It's cool though. Managed to get a full set off eBay for £3 delivered.

Haha that sounds insane. Every smuggler for himself!

It's cool though. Managed to get a full set off eBay for £3 delivered.
Haha yep! They also had the Infinity War posters, but I only managed to grab three of those... might do the same as you and try my luck on eBay for the two I'm missing.

• Thanks
Reactions: jitstark
A Boba Fett film would suffer the same fate as the Solo movie IMO.
There was never any interest in seeing a Solo film on the whole, I saw zero hype regarding the film, from the casting of solo to the trailers it's a film that didn't need to be made.
It's a very good film, but I can see why most people are thinking I'll wait till it comes out on blu ray.

Rogue 1 worked because it was new and interesting, Solo failed in the box office because it was viewed as the film without the proper solo actor (Harrison ford) ever since it was announced.