Feb 10, 2020
Release date: March 23, 2021
Purchase link: Best Buy
Price: $34.99
Group buy: hosted by apsmith21

1612286072682.png

1612778428936.png

Last edited by a moderator:
For those that didn’t preorder, I’d recommend jumping on this asap. Around me, most stores are low stock or even OOS. I’m just glad I managed to get it at midniget. When every store within 50 miles was OOS as of this weekend, I was worried this would be another LOTR.

Picked up my copy and of course the plastic has tears (though otherwise fine). 2 Stores later I found a copy with no tears. Guess I’ll return the other next time I’m close to Best Buy - I didn’t feel like going back in to return the first one.
Got my copy, so so Steelbook but it will do for now. I thought it would be a total gloss but not :(
I’ve only seen the finish through the tears in the one above, but it looks glossy. What is the finish?

Picked up my copy and of course the plastic has tears (though otherwise fine). 2 Stores later I found a copy with no tears. Guess I’ll return the other next time I’m close to Best Buy - I didn’t feel like going back in to return the first one.

I’ve only seen the finish through the tears in the one above, but it looks glossy. What is the finish?
Kind of metallic with some spot gloss.

Kind of metallic with some spot gloss.

I disagree. Unless the Best Buy USA SteelBook is different than the Best Buy Canada SteelBook this is a glossy release.

This isn't a fingerprint magnet but it has the same gloss finish on the entire SteelBook. There aren't any areas that could be mistaken for spot gloss. There is perhaps a very slight metallic shine to it but not like the kind you get on some matte SteelBooks.

Perhaps this is a lighter gloss finish I don't know but like I said I don't see any fingerprints on it. If this is a different level of gloss then I must say I like this better.

I am not an expert on finishes. I keep most of my SteelBooks sealed but I opened this copy because I detected a small scratch under a tear in the shrink-wrap. I opened this up to check the finish for everybody else knowing that I would be sending this copy back to Best Buy.

Having said all of that, others may find this to just be a normal glossy steelbook and I wonder what I'm on about (if you're from the UK lol)

EDIT: I take it back. I can now see fingerprints. Just harder to see because of the light coloured background.

Last edited:
Nice looking SteelBook. Reviewer says glossy and it looks glossy to me. :thumbs:
Looks closer to zero finish. I have one in hand. Doesn't attract finger prints. I intentionally touched it firmly and the imprint is there for a second but disappears the same way the fog in your bathroom mirror goes away once exposed to drier air. The color makes it a little more difficult to differentiate between the two finishes.

The US/CA version is 100% glossy. No arguments. Its got metallic effects and isn't the thickest gloss, but it's full gloss.

Reactions: Stygian
Looks closer to zero finish. I have one in hand. Doesn't attract finger prints. I intentionally touched it firmly and the imprint is there for a second but disappears the same way the fog in your bathroom mirror goes away once exposed to drier air. The color makes it a little more difficult to differentiate between the two finishes.

I have one in hand also. I thought the fingerprints weren't visible either after deliberately trying to leave them.
Then I looked closer under a lightbulb. They're visible at certain angles.

I believe zero finishes have a look that resembles matte finishes but I understand that people have different opinions.

I have one in hand also. I thought the fingerprints weren't visible either after deliberately trying to leave them.

I believe zero finishes have a look that resembles matte finishes but I understand that people have different opinions.
You're correct. Zero is very similar to matte. It feels the same, just looks slightly better. The US is usually lucky and have quite a thick gloss layer, this is more in line with a EU/UK thinner "gloss varnish". It's still full gloss though regardless.

• Thanks
Reactions: Stygian

Good observation. I have plenty of gloss steels and never had to shine light on it to find it. They are usually easy to detect and end up being very messy.
Just for the record, I have zero problems with the finish...

Good observation. I have plenty of gloss steels and never had to shine light on it to find it. They are usually easy to detect and end up being very messy.
Just for the record, I have zero problems with the finish...

LOL I went looking for the fingerprints because I was convinced this was a glossy finish but I knew there was something different about it. I thought maybe it was just because of the bright colours of the art as opposed to a dark or black background where the fingerprints are obvious.

I agree. I think this is a great finish and I like the fact that the fingerprints aren't noticeable.

Of course, I have wiped the fingerprints away now lol.

Defo gloss. Hope the U.K. is the same. Doubt it though

Yes this was always definitely gloss. Honestly anyone debating it didn't have a clue what they were talking about :rolleyes: according to scanavo, the UK/EU release is unfortunately zero (n)

Blows my mind that people can’t see the gloss In that video

Ahh man that’s a downer. Knew it would happen though

Reactions: Steely-Booked