digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Release date: October 13,2011
Purchase link: Amazon.de

71dgqpLxsGL__AA500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Still on the fence about this one. I really liked this flick, but already have the Play version. But I like how the art kind of blends in with the Silver of the case, that's sweet...

I want to know is this a second release?
Did they ever release this before with different art work.
It is on now on amazon germany for about 11.97 Euros.
That is cheap, very so makes me ask at the question.
Is this a second release of this?

Thank you.

Yes, the first release was available via Play.com and Canada Futureshop with different artwork. Also it has inside artwork. This one is a 2nd release which only available on Amazon Germany. The FSK logo is a sticker. No inside artwork. I would recommend this steelbook if you haven't own the first release or already own. Like db mention above, the art and effects that they use blend in very well.

now that the new movie is coming up, i had to check this one up! all i can say i'll be there the release day, hopefully it is as good as this one, at that time i did not had any other version so i got this steel which is not too bad since i can not compare it with any other just base on pix, but now soon i will have the new re release from the UK(White one of course)...also a bump for new members! ;)

Reactions: Lordpercy
Thanks for the bump :thumbs: I've been looking at this one over the past few day as I really love the cover art - very tempted to get it but it's currently just under 23 euros on amazon.de and I'm not sure I can justify it when I've already got the standard edition, the Japanese enterprise edition (DVD) and the two Zavvi version on pre-order

Damn this hobby and my inability to win the lottery

I know that this thread has been dead for a while but- quick question....
Is the artwork printed on an unpainted steelbook? So- hypothetically speaking- could I use paint thinner to remove the Blue "BluRay" banner at the top of the film?

I know that this thread has been dead for a while but- quick question....
Is the artwork printed on an unpainted steelbook? So- hypothetically speaking- could I use paint thinner to remove the Blue "BluRay" banner at the top of the film?
. Hi.. Just taken a look and its not a raw finish.. Its not a high gloss but quite smooth and elements of the image where they are materialising extend across the front. Sure someone out there can give you a more technical description. If making your mind up about which edition to go for and want something different did you see the metalpak.. Not everyone's cup of tea but quite liked the art and back image when deciding which to go for myself..

Reactions: FN-2187
. Hi.. Just taken a look and its not a raw finish.. Its not a high gloss but quite smooth and elements of the image where they are materialising extend across the front. Sure someone out there can give you a more technical description. If making your mind up about which edition to go for and want something different did you see the metalpak.. Not everyone's cup of tea but quite liked the art and back image when deciding which to go for myself..

Thanks for the information! I'm not a fan of MetalPaks myself- but I'm planning on just using paint thinner to remove the Blue BluRay Band off of the top of the steelbook... I was just curious as to whether or not that would look "wonky" on the steelbook? I mean- I could probably go back over the steelbook with a Matte Spray paint in an attempt to smooth out the transition. This is pretty much my last ditch attempt to try to frankenstein together a Steelbook of Star Trek that I like because I think that there's a subtle factor on all of them that make me not like it. I think that this release is the best but- that Blue Bar at the top. That's gotta go...

Same reason I ended up with this one after considering them all (front image)!
I must admit I have never attempted any kind of modifications to the steelbook case so am cautious about advising.. If removed I think the colour would be pretty close to bare steel - the elements of the image that spread on to the steel from the materialising effect arent really tpresent at the top of the image. The blue banner though is flush with the main image though so that would leave a faint step depending how deep the paint is.. you would probably no more about that than me and have a plan in mind . One other thing to say - you have spotted this has a printed back with German text right?

Same reason I ended up with this one after considering them all (front image)!
I must admit I have never attempted any kind of modifications to the steelbook case so am cautious about advising.. If removed I think the colour would be pretty close to bare steel - the elements of the image that spread on to the steel from the materialising effect arent really tpresent at the top of the image. The blue banner though is flush with the main image though so that would leave a faint step depending how deep the paint is.. you would probably no more about that than me and have a plan in mind . One other thing to say - you have spotted this has a printed back with German text right?

Yeah! I'm hoping that the gradient of which image fades out in is enough to not be noticeable to the human eye. And there looks to be maybe a few millimeters between the top of Chris Pine's head and the actual start of the blue bar so- I have some margin for error, at least. I just tries using paint thinner on the Man of Steel Steelbook that I use for parts, and it comes off fairly clean. The back part doesn't bother me- I have a few German Steenboks, particularly the German Release of "Moon" that has German Text on the back- and its not an issue at all. It's a little disappointing that they didn't just go for straight artwork but.. whatever. The only things in my mind that "Ruin" a steelbook release for me are:

-When 3D is printed on the cover.
-When the rating is printed (and not a sticker) on the cover
-When the Spine is reversed
-When the Spine has no title
-And when there is that Blue Bar at the top.