Star Trek: Discovery - Season One (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: November 19, 2018
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre-order live August 24 at 12 PM UK - BST time)
Price: £34.99

11858148-1104605123285021.jpg

11858148-1184605123246138.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: hoppusdelonge
Yes Season 2 is going ahead but the budget and costs have had to be trimmed way way down because most of the buyers wouldn't pay the asking price. The show is in serious trouble in a lot of areas. Go online and read about it. The ratings were pretty dire and it failed to get the online streaming that CBS want. I watched about 5 episodes on Netflix and it simply wasn't Star Trek. As the previous poster said "It's DIRE! Star Trek for the PC #MeToo generation and it's stamped down your throat! Watched all of season 1 but won't be bothering with it again. Beyond bad! Couldn't have put it better myself.
I've been watching a lot of old shows on the UK channel Talking Pictures from the 60's and 70's. Proper story telling, OK some of it's not great but a lot of great stuff there and they have all one thing in common. No Virtue signalling, no 3 wave feminism or shoving agendas down your throat. Give me The Rockford Files or Kung Fu any day! Anyway rant over. Enjoy or not enjoy Star Trek Discovery as the case may be but I would seriously try and catch some recording before commiting to the blu-ray....
And yes I still haven't recovered from the spore drive. Was this instead of the cabbage drive or the magic mushroom drive? Did they make it up as they went along...

the budget and costs have had to be trimmed way way down because most of the buyers wouldn't pay the asking price. The show is in serious trouble in a lot of areas. Go online and read about it. The ratings were pretty dire and it failed to get the online streaming that CBS want. I watched about 5 episodes on Netflix and it simply wasn't Star Trek. As the previous poster said "It's DIRE! Star Trek for the PC #MeToo generation and it's stamped down your throat! Watched all of season 1 but won't be bothering with it again. Beyond bad! Couldn't have put it better myself.
I've been watching a lot of old shows on the UK channel Talking Pictures from the 60's and 70's. Proper story telling, OK some of it's not great but a lot of great stuff there and they have all one thing in common. No Virtue signalling, no 3 wave feminism or shoving agendas down your throat. Give m

Not sure where you are getting most of this info from. Not saying you're wrong, as I'm far from an expert in this area. But its not something that's easily Googled either. Since it "airs" on streaming services, no real ratings are available. And no one's really privy to whatever the exact deal is between Netflix and CBS for the sale of foreign rights. From what I can tell, CBS reached a deal with Netflix sometime ago and many seem to think the deal last for years (so it all may have been agreed upon years ago). It appears whatever budget there is is largely paid for through the Netflix deal, leaving little risk for CBS. It also seems to suggest that airing Star Trek Discovery on CBS All Access (in the US) drove that platform to all time record subscriptions. Now if Netflix suddenly wanted to pay less for it, that'll surely affect the bottom line. But if Netflix did this, I'm not aware of it (again, it seems the companies signed a multi-year deal by all reports)

The budget is VERY high per episode. Or at least it was for Season 1. I've seen nothing to suggest that won't be the same for Season 2, though even a "cheaper" version could easily be more expensive then most shows. I have found articles talking about the firing of the show runners. This seems to be in part because they did go over budget. So that's not a great sign, but I didn't find anything to say the budgets were radically slashed or that no one was watching it. I do see a fairly vocal segment of people that don't like the show. And that's fine. But that's not really the same thing as "ratings were pretty dire" or that the show's budgets were slashed. But maybe that info's out there, so if you have links you should share them.

Not sure where you are getting most of this info from. Not saying you're wrong, as I'm far from an expert in this area. But its not something that's easily Googled either. Since it "airs" on streaming services, no real ratings are available. And no one's really privy to whatever the exact deal is between Netflix and CBS for the sale of foreign rights. From what I can tell, CBS reached a deal with Netflix sometime ago and many seem to think the deal last for years (so it all may have been agreed upon years ago). It appears whatever budget there is is largely paid for through the Netflix deal, leaving little risk for CBS. It also seems to suggest that airing Star Trek Discovery on CBS All Access (in the US) drove that platform to all time record subscriptions. Now if Netflix suddenly wanted to pay less for it, that'll surely affect the bottom line. But if Netflix did this, I'm not aware of it (again, it seems the companies signed a multi-year deal by all reports)

There was a detailed overview of the show on u-tube last week from an insider who has/had a lot of inside information on the show and it was a serious eye opener to the problems that's going on with the show. Do a search you should find it. I didn't bookmark as I read loads of reviews and stuff on u-tube.

Day 1 purchase for me. Great looking steelbook. I loved the series. It has to be watched as a complete story, though. Looking forward to see what happens in the 2nd series after the cliff hanger of series 1. I think it may get some stand alone stories in the new series, now the crew have been established. Look forward to finding out.

Just had this dispatched at 6am today...
Zavvi were quite a bit later than usual at taking payment for this
Same here. Dispatch email timed at 06:39 this morning. Payment was taken late last night. So not the usual Tuesday/Wednesday for payment and Wednesday/Thursday for dispatch. I guess that means I might not receive until Tuesday on this occasion (usually get Saturday or Monday)....