Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: January 25, 2021
Purchase links: Amazon UK - Zavvi
Price: £35.00 (Amazon) - £29.99 (Zavvi)

Star Trek Picard.jpg

Last edited:
Its all good and the return of a character for a welcome send off was a high but one thing about the show really grates on me...

The character Raffi calling Picard "JL". Theres no way in hell Picard would have allowed that from anyone under his command.

• Wow
Reactions: WKRP and Basil
It was alright, but yeah, without the nostalgia, I wouldn't recommend it.

That last scene with Data thou, in the last episode, FANTASTIC.

Reactions: Basil
not seen this was it any good?

My take on it anyway. If you don't want to read any further I'll cut to the chase. I personally found it drivel that insulted my intelligence and a new low in a once great franchise...... If you want a more prosaic review, continue on reading.....

I watched the 1st 5 episodes on amazon prime. I thought it was the worst Trek I'm seen to date at that time. It was even worse than Discovery which I hated with a vengeance.. I really tried to give it a chance but it just wasn't Star Trek, it could have been any generic sci-fi show and it was clear the people doing the show knew nothing about Star Trek. I found the disrespect for Picard appalling and it soon become clear the show was not about Picard. He was simply a hock to get old viewers on board. I found the writing, direction and general pacing of the show amateurage. Star Trek was always an ensemble show that allowed characters to breath in single episode format with no link to the next episode with the result that if one episode was bad, at least you could move on to the next one which might be better. This is just one bad idea stringed over an entire season. A lot of the episodes I watched for me suffered Irwin Allen syndrome. No logic or sense. I was questioning x or y scene going "This doesn't make sense in respect of what just happened the week before?" But don't let me put you off. It could be your cup of Earl Grey. Most of the people commenting here seem to love it.......

I enjoyed it
I do think you need to go into it not expecting to be watching a new version of the Next Gen or any other Trek series.
I liked the flawed characters, I liked that Picard had become a bit of a bitter arrogant old man. It was just more real.
Not a show for everyone and will probably divide opinion like the star wars sequels for example.

Reactions: Basil and RyanD
My take on it anyway. If you don't want to read any further I'll cut to the chase. I personally found it drivel that insulted my intelligence and a new low in a once great franchise...... If you want a more prosaic review, continue on reading.....

I watched the 1st 5 episodes on amazon prime. I thought it was the worst Trek I'm seen to date at that time. It was even worse than Discovery which I hated with a vengeance.. I really tried to give it a chance but it just wasn't Star Trek, it could have been any generic sci-fi show and it was clear the people doing the show knew nothing about Star Trek. I found the disrespect for Picard appalling and it soon become clear the show was not about Picard. He was simply a hock to get old viewers on board. I found the writing, direction and general pacing of the show amateurage. Star Trek was always an ensemble show that allowed characters to breath in single episode format with no link to the next episode with the result that if one episode was bad, at least you could move on to the next one which might be better. This is just one bad idea stringed over an entire season. A lot of the episodes I watched for me suffered Irwin Allen syndrome. No logic or sense. I was questioning x or y scene going "This doesn't make sense in respect of what just happened the week before?" But don't let me put you off. It could be your cup of Earl Grey. Most of the people commenting here seem to love it.......
This is how I felt about Discovery. I was so excited to finally have Trek back on TV, but man, after 4 or 5 episodes i couldn't take any more. I fully understand that it was never gonna be like the 90s Trek and it would be something new but even at that I found nothing enjoyable in it at all. I was optimistic that Picard would rectify the mistakes made in Discovery, but from what I've seen and heard it seems to be more of the same. If it wasnt for the nostalgia factor of Spock, Pike, Picard and Data, I doubt if anyone would really care much about these shows other than "it was decent enough." The problem isn't that it's not what we're used to from Trek, just that it's not very good and had the potential to be brilliant.

The first four or five episodes are them setting up the crew and journey, the last few episodes are pretty great and 100% Trek. It pulled a Discovery and did in one season what Discovery did in two. The first season of Discovery was ...problematic. The second season though? They clearly learned and it’s some of the best Trek yet.

I feel like as with all Trek shows, don’t judge the beginning too harshly. There’s a lot of lore they have to juggle in conjunction with not confusing viewers who are completely new to Trek. That’s why the first half of Picard is kind of a drag. I’m excited for Season 2 though! The Star Trek Comic-Con at home panel was pretty great as well.

• Informative
Reactions: WKRP
It's very slow and all builds up to the last episode then nothing really happens, it's worth watching to see some of the old Star Trek cast back but don't expect anything amazing.
I thought Partick Stewart was awful and boring in it, the better bits of the series are the ones he wasn't involved in.
Was also shocked with some of the language they used, doesn't really belong or fit in Star Trek.
They would have been better scrapping season 2 and doing a Seven of Nine Spin off instead, she was one of the few good things in it.