Starship Troopers: 20th Anniversary Edition (4K UHD Blu-ray SteelBook) (Best Buy Exclusive) [USA]

snooloui

The 'Negative' Ninja
Premium Supporter
Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: September 19, 2017
Purchase link: Starship Troopers: 20th Anniversary Edition (live)
Price: $24.99
Group buy: hosted by apsmith21

statro-jpg.323064

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently read a forum thread about 2D to 3D conversion equipment and this is one of the films that was tested - and it looked great in 3D apparently.
Don't get your hopes up - sometimes these things don't work out.
My buddy worked for Venture 3D (Priest, Green Hornet) - years ago they did a test on GHOSTBUSTERS (original) for possible conversion release. The studio scuttled the project.
Sad part: my buddy said it looked amazing in 3D. (They finished one reel)

Last edited:
  • Thanks
  • Helpful Post
Reactions: Flloydo and ChrisIW
Oh that is bad

I'm actually a big fan of the zavvi version and looks much better in hand

I actually like the message/idea they're trying to bring across, but despise the sledgehammer approach they chose by using this artwork. We all know the movie draws upon the Third Reich (a fascistic, deeply militarized society, naive youths indoctrinated with a strange idea of "citizenship through (military) service", racialized rhetoric of "us" and "them", total destruction of the enemy or total defeat, uniforms, etc.). All this was achieved in a subtle way in the movie (besides the "Do you want to know more?" infomercials, which clearly counteracted the subtleness, and added a parodic element). The use of the Reich colors in the artwork alone takes away much of Vorhoeven's ingenuity and makes Starship Troopers look less the smart and meaningful film that it actually is.

I actually like the message/idea they're trying to bring across, but despise the sledgehammer approach they chose by using this artwork. We all know the movie draws upon the Third Reich (a fascistic, deeply militarized society, naive youths indoctrinated with a strange idea of "citizenship through (military) service", racialized rhetoric of "us" and "them", total destruction of the enemy or total defeat, uniforms, etc.). All this was achieved in a subtle way in the movie (besides the "Do you want to know more?" infomercials, which clearly counteracted the subtleness, and added a parodic element). The use of the Reich colors in the artwork alone takes away much of Vorhoeven's ingenuity and makes Starship Troopers look less the smart and meaningful film that it actually is.
Dude - the movie's allusions are NOT subtle!:rofl:
Verhoeven is not know for his "feather touch" in movies!:hilarious:

You know what...?
I like this.

It's not classic, nor necessarily indicative of the visual style of the film itself- but it's new.
The biggest shame a steelbook can have for me is by recycling old poster art. This is, at least, something new.
It's representative of the film's overtly fascist tone and follows the air of propaganda that the federation inspires.
I'm getting this.

Wow, just when you think the studios couldn pump out any worse turgid muck and then this comes along.

I'd love to know what some of the directors would think of seeing their movies covered in this crap that we keep seeing.