4K UHD Suspiria (Slipcover 4K + Blu-Ray) [USA]

Synapse is like all the previous releases on DVD and VHS with boosted colors.
The UK disc is dull and Suspiria is known for its color pallette.
Plus the 4.0 sountrack is amazing! Since the AB dvds the audio track was missing sounds but Synapse mag track has them back in.
So I prefer Synapse over CF.

Reactions: Devoid Of Truth
Well here's a good way to end the discussion, or create more.... ha

So if you have your own personal preference of transfer, then that is absolutely just and fine.

However, when stating which is just simply better .... I look at it like this ....

If this was YOUR FILM, YOU WERE THE GUY/GAL WHO HAD THEIR EYE BEHIND THE CAMERA AND WANTED IT TO LOOK LIKE SUCH IN POST PRODUCTION .... then who is anyone to argue or debate what is better then you as its YOUR FILM, YOUR VISION.

That said, Synapse worked directly with the Director of cinematography to make sure it looked the way he wanted it to look. (they would work on scenes, send back and he would approve or request changes) How he always envisioned it with Argento all those years ago. And it wasn't simply taking a scan and having resolution bumped up. It was worked on for years, and then more work was done in a warner brothers lot post production studio. (ie. super expensive equipment, and super talented engineers) So if that's what the Directors wanted it to look like at this newest stage of technology then who am I to argue. This is the definitive version (video transfer wise) Now if your own eyes prefer a different one, than hey, that's your own choice. But I cant argue the art with the artist.

So if you have your own personal preference of transfer, then that is absolutely just and fine.

However, when stating which is just simply better .... I look at it like this ....

If this was YOUR FILM, YOU WERE THE GUY/GAL WHO HAD THEIR EYE BEHIND THE CAMERA AND WANTED IT TO LOOK LIKE SUCH IN POST PRODUCTION .... then who is anyone to argue or debate what is better then you as its YOUR FILM, YOUR VISION.

That said, Synapse worked directly with the Director of cinematography to make sure it looked the way he wanted it to look. (they would work on scenes, send back and he would approve or request changes) How he always envisioned it with Argento all those years ago. And it wasn't simply taking a scan and having resolution bumped up. It was worked on for years, and then more work was done in a warner brothers lot post production studio. (ie. super expensive equipment, and super talented engineers) So if that's what the Directors wanted it to look like at this newest stage of technology then who am I to argue. This is the definitive version (video transfer wise) Now if your own eyes prefer a different one, than hey, that's your own choice. But I cant argue the art with the artist.
Well said - plus - the idea that the "colors are exaggerated" is a misnomer. This was the last Technicolor film. The Technicolor process is all about exaggerated colors. It was meant to be that way. (*see The Wizard of Oz as a reference)
If you see a print of Suspiria with a drab color palette - then it is completely incorrect. This is Technicolor. The colors are supposed to explode off the screen.

Reactions: Devoid Of Truth
I'm reminded of Stanley Kubrick supervising the CAV laserdisc that Criterion done and finding out years later that it bears no resemblance to the recent 4k pressing or even the blu-rays. So who's right?

I'm reminded of Stanley Kubrick supervising the CAV laserdisc that Criterion done and finding out years later that it bears no resemblance to the recent 4k pressing or even the blu-rays. So who's right?
I trust the Director of Photography.
I'm reminded of William Friedkin overseeing the transfer of French Connection and his DP Owen Roizman looking at it and saying "what the hell did you do to our movie?!"

CCF5BDE0-14CB-4DAB-B820-2D0AEAD7BEC1.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Wreck

I trust the Director of Photography.
I'm reminded of William Friedkin overseeing the transfer of French Connection and his DP Owen Roizman looking at it and saying "what the hell did you do to our movie?!"

View attachment 447368
Cult Films worked directly with the director of the film. And IMO DoP hasn't dissed CF release ?

But yes, each to his/hers own.

I think its different when a guy is dead and we're talking posthumous releases. In this case with newer technology and the originator not alive one is simply trying to do the best they can with good intentions.

Art is subjective, and every humans eyes can be very different too. If you are happy with a release you have and how it looks, than that is all that matters. In a different chapter of my life I had many years recording, mixing, mastering audio. So I can be impressed when I hear about how long someone works on fixing every scene(audio/video) As I also know the difference personally between a rush job and working on something for many hours a day for a week straight. There are many 4k releases that popped out in the quickness that were simply rush jobs.

I think the cultfilms and the synapse release are 2 good ones to own for different reasons. Mostly extras.