Taken 3 (Blu-ray SteelBook) (HMV Exclusive) [UK]

snooloui

The 'Negative' Ninja
Premium Supporter
Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: June 15th, 2015
Purchase link: Taken 3 (UK shipping only)
Price: £17.99
Group Buys: Naughtius Maximus and Ste22

01-31801.jpg

Last edited:
I'm merely expressing my excitement for HMV another steelbook exclusive what with Zavvi saturating the market at the moment. I know not everyone is/was a fan of HMV steelbook s and many people struggle to get hold of them now that many stores have closed (In am "lucky" to have two near me). HMV exclusive steels were what got me into collecting in the first place and as they still don't have an online store it's good that their steelbook s help boast revenue in some small way and keep our high street stores open so we don't get another Costa or 99p shop in their place.

Reactions: jono3000
Plus an extended cut is a welcome sight with the growing trend of the UK getting cut versions of movies at the cinema to help fill seats and what with some blu ray releases like Maze Runner staying cut in the UK.

I'm not keen on any HMV steelbooks as I haven't got one near me, so it's either join a GB or spend money on car parking and petrol to get one. Either that or chance that it's still available months down the line (which sometimes they are as I got Dawn of the Apes last week in the sale).

I'm not saying I want them to be Zavvi exclusives, but any online retailer would make it easier sometimes.

Plus an extended cut is a welcome sight with the growing trend of the UK getting cut versions of movies at the cinema to help fill seats and what with some blu ray releases like Maze Runner staying cut in the UK.

Cutting cinema releases is starting to get on my nerves now, the same has been done with Kingsman.

Not sure why so many films are being suggested at an 18 rating initially, are BBFC getting stricter?

Obviously doesn't surprise me that this was originally a 15, so good to see we will get an uncut version on blu-ray

Cutting cinema releases is starting to get on my nerves now, the same has been done with Kingsman.

Not sure why so many films are being suggested at an 18 rating initially, are BBFC getting stricter?

Obviously doesn't surprise me that this was originally a 15, so good to see we will get an uncut version on blu-ray
Generally speaking yes they are getting far stricter on violence these days, but also the studios are partly to blame too. They will get bigger box office with a lower rating, and those that liked it will want to see the uncut bluray so that will sell well too.

Doesn't always work though, Sly admitted that Expendables 3 actually lost out on a bigger box office because fans didn't like the fact it was heavily trimmed of gore before it was even submitted to censors, and promised fans the next one will be an 18.

It's the studios fault really.

I can understand them aiming for the 12A certificate as those films will statistically make more money than 15 rated ones. 18's can go either way, something like Wolf of Wall Street with a huge megastar and great subject matter still make money, others, like Dredd don't. These days, an 18 really has to have something to offer to get adults to go and see it, whereas kids will go and see any old rubbish it seems. Regardless of how good it was, and how poor the marketing may have been, Dredd was seen as a comicbook movie, one most comicbook movie fans weren't old enough to get in to.

The issue comes from movies which really should have been aiming for a 15 in the first place, like A Good Day to Die Hard and Taken 3, not be aiming for a 12 with a harder cut later on. Let's face it, rarely are these harder cuts much more graphic, with only added CGI blood and the odd bit of swearing.

Apparently Kingsman is uncut according to Mathew Vaughn. When both Kick-Ass movies can get 15's, I see no reason why Kingsman would need to aim for an 18, or indeed, get one.

It's the studios fault really.

I can understand them aiming for the 12A certificate as those films will statistically make more money than 15 rated ones. 18's can go either way, something like Wolf of Wall Street with a huge megastar and great subject matter still make money, others, like Dredd don't. These days, an 18 really has to have something to offer to get adults to go and see it, whereas kids will go and see any old rubbish it seems. Regardless of how good it was, and how poor the marketing may have been, Dredd was seen as a comicbook movie, one most comicbook movie fans weren't old enough to get in to.

The issue comes from movies which really should have been aiming for a 15 in the first place, like A Good Day to Die Hard and Taken 3, not be aiming for a 12 with a harder cut later on. Let's face it, rarely are these harder cuts much more graphic, with only added CGI blood and the odd bit of swearing.

Apparently Kingsman is uncut according to Mathew Vaughn. When both Kick-Ass movies can get 15's, I see no reason why Kingsman would need to aim for an 18, or indeed, get one.
Not according to the bbfc! It was submitted for suggestions and was told it would get a 18, it was resubmitted with some violence removed and earned a 15. So there is a more violent version. [emoji2]

Not according to the bbfc! It was submitted for suggestions and was told it would get a 18, it was resubmitted with some violence removed and earned a 15. So there is a more violent version. [emoji2]

The filmmakers were given advice during post production on whether or not the final version would get their desired certificate.

AFAIK, the BBFC only get to see the finished film, not rushes or rough cuts. They can be given screenplays and storyboards though. The director can meet with them and say what he envisions the final film will look like, and they can advise on what they think the certificate will be if things don't change.

There was an interview with Mathew Vaughn where he claims 'not to have changed a single frame' or words to that effect, but for the life of me I can't find it.

Edit: here it is...

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/mat...aughn-interview-kingsman-x-men-stardust-2-007

It's interesting that when Psycho was put up for a certificate in 1960, the examiner refused on the basis that he 'saw a nipple'. Hitchcock took the film away, 'made the required cut' and the film was passed, even though, Hitchcock didn't change a thing.

The filmmakers were given advice during post production on whether or not the final version would get their desired certificate.

AFAIK, the BBFC only get to see the finished film, not rushes or rough cuts. They can be given screenplays and storyboards though. The director can meet with them and say what he envisions the final film will look like, and they can advise on what they think the certificate will be if things don't change.

There was an interview with Mathew Vaughn where he claims 'not to have changed a single frame' or words to that effect, but for the life of me I can't find it.

Edit: here it is...

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/mat...aughn-interview-kingsman-x-men-stardust-2-007

It's interesting that when Psycho was put up for a certificate in 1960, the examiner refused on the basis that he 'saw a nipple'. Hitchcock took the film away, 'made the required cut' and the film was passed, even though, Hitchcock didn't change a thing.

Seems strange, I mean why would the BBFC lie?

I gather we'll find out when the blu-ray is released!!

Seems strange, I mean why would the BBFC lie?

I gather we'll find out when the blu-ray is released!!

I don't think they have lied.

On their website, Kingsman is listed as uncut. They were obviously spoken to in advance of the finished film for advice, at that point they felt that should the movie represent what they'd been told, or seen in the screenplay it would get an 18. When the final film was shown to the BBFC, it was deemed worthy of a 15.

Whether or not the consultation with the BBFC impacted Vaughn's decision in the film-making/editing process we may never know. But either way, the film wasn't cut after completion. Ultimately I count that as 'uncut'.

The same thing goes with Taken 3. The theatrical version was uncut. There just happens to be a longer version coming out.

Reactions: JayWhit
absolutely terrible movie. i mean TERRIBLE

so bad it makes me sell my taken 2 (pretty awful too) steel and stick to taken (1) steel.
Amen to that- I know it should of been taken (pun unintended) with a pinch of salt, but calling the film ridiculous is an understatement...
The car reversing in the car park down the lift shaft, the amount of complete and utter destruction he causes (including hijacking a police car, and the innocent people he ends up killing), and he gets away at the end of the film with a HANDSHAKE?? Because, you know; that level of behaviour wouldn't warrant a long stretch inside in the real World or anything...
And (spoiler alert) Forest Whitaker knew that Neeson was innocent all along because of the bagels?? WHY DIDNT HE SAY ANYTHING??????!!!!?
Infuriating movie- I thought the second one was awful, but it's safe to say I've seen more realistic Disney films (talking animals and all...)

Last edited by a moderator: