Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: December 14, 2020
Purchase link: Amazon UK
Price: £30.00

91Pv3-J+AkL._AC_SX522_.jpg

Last edited:
I went with this design through Fnac because I'm not a fan of the Best Buy steelbook. Got a mint copy today (wish I could get a steelbook in the mail from Best Buy in this good condition) and do like it. The spot gloss title on the spine is nice. I'm guessing all the steelbooks have that.

the main villain is a weak character in my opinion, not very well developed or drawn. generally unbelievable. with sci-fi you often have to suspend disbelieve but this film stretches any credibility so far you can only laugh- far fetched is an understatement.

sometimes (as with the boating scene and all the various locations) it feels like nolan is just showing us his hobbies and favourite hang out places. its roll-your-eyes silly and self indulgent in the extreme

Reactions: crib79
the main villain is a weak character in my opinion, not very well developed or drawn. generally unbelievable.
That's the point, though, because at the end you realize that he wasn't the villain, but just a common thug who happened to be in the right place at the right time, and who for some reason was selected by some unknown person in the future. The real villain (if there is one) is yet unrevealed. Whether you think that's cool or ridiculous is up to you. :) This is a movie that needs to be seen more than once, and that needs a sequel in order to be complete. I kind of like that and am kind of frustrated by that, depending on the day.

I ordered this steelbook, but it hasn't shipped yet. I'm assuming that just means Amazon UK isn't shipping to the US at the moment.

Reactions: Masta Norris
That's the point, though, because at the end you realize that he wasn't the villain, but just a common thug who happened to be in the right place at the right time, and who for some reason was selected by some unknown person in the future. The real villain (if there is one) is yet unrevealed. Whether you think that's cool or ridiculous is up to you. :) This is a movie that needs to be seen more than once, and that needs a sequel in order to be complete. I kind of like that and am kind of frustrated by that, depending on the day.

I ordered this steelbook, but it hasn't shipped yet. I'm assuming that just means Amazon UK isn't shipping to the US at the moment.

I do understand he stumbled apparently unintentionally into his fate, but that doesn't excuse the fact his character is poorly realised, with motivations that don't really seem believable. the same can almost be applied to any or all of the other characters. When you read theories and the scientific thinking behind the film online, it does make the film seem more interesting. I think that is the problem, the idea is interesting, and the film is thrilling, but for the film to engage it can't just be interesting, it needs to be emotionally engaging too. Personally I didn't give me that, so just left me cold. I mean, Interstellar literally took you to the edge of the universe, but it was very much a human story with characters at the centre that you could care about. It could move you. tenet didn't move me in the slightest.

Plus, not even 'the protagonist' was surprised when learning about such an incredible revelation as actual reverse entropy. His reaction may as well have been a shrug. If he didn't care, or seem interested/shocked/excited... why should I?

Reactions: ethnosax
I do understand he stumbled apparently unintentionally into his fate, but that doesn't excuse the fact his character is poorly realised, with motivations that don't really seem believable. the same can almost be applied to any or all of the other characters. When you read theories and the scientific thinking behind the film online, it does make the film seem more interesting. I think that is the problem, the idea is interesting, and the film is thrilling, but for the film to engage it can't just be interesting, it needs to be emotionally engaging too. Personally I didn't give me that, so just left me cold. I mean, Interstellar literally took you to the edge of the universe, but it was very much a human story with characters at the centre that you could care about. It could move you. tenet didn't move me in the slightest.

Plus, not even 'the protagonist' was surprised when learning about such an incredible revelation as actual reverse entropy. His reaction may as well have been a shrug. If he didn't care, or seem interested/shocked/excited... why should I?
I agree with all of that, except for your warm glow about Interstellar, a movie that's always left me cold. I don't mind disagreeing about either of these films. :) I wish Nolan would collaborate with someone who could help him bring in more of a human element to his intriguing concepts. With all of the influence he now has in filmmaking, it's sad that he doesn't seem to have anything significant to say about the human experience—just cool plot ideas and a good eye for visual spectacle.

With Tenet, there's an idea I can read into the film that what happens in the future sort of trickles down to people's past/present. These characters are being subconsciously bombarded by elements of who they're going to become, which makes them either better able to deal with what's happening in the present (Protagonist) or more ill at ease with the present (Kat). Different times are connected in odd ways, and nobody has the full story. Including us as the viewers, unfortunately. haha

Reactions: levi