Premium Supporter
Apr 28, 2011
Release date: November 23, 2021
Purchase link: Best Buy
Price: $19.99
Group buy: hosted by apsmith21

D4F70DAB-BCE7-4DA0-92D7-A5896814A841.jpeg

Last edited:
Okay, I just got my copy of this 4K Steelbook and I LOVE IT!! Although I was sad to find out its based off the same WAX OF HORROR 2017 transfer... therefore, what is the best 4K/Blu-ray version to own so I can import it and just stick it in my new Steelbook? If memory serves me, I believe it was the German T2 version on standard Blu-ray that (to this date) is the best version to get, with minimal DNR. Is this still the case?? Thanks in advance.
It was the 2015 USA/Canada Blu-ray releases that has the better transfer
The 2 releases below has the 2015 transfer with less use of DNR
Blu-ray discs only

USA
The 2015 Blu-ray release from Lionsgate
81mdRHdDz3L._SL1500_.jpg
Canada
Mondo X 2015 Best Buy Blu-ray steelbook exclusive releases from Mongrel Media is also using the 2015 transfer

T2 Mondo X Variant.jpg T2 Mondo X.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: goufcustom
It was the 2015 USA/Canada Blu-ray releases that has the better transfer
The 2 releases below has the 2015 transfer with less use of DNR
Blu-ray discs only

USA
The 2015 Blu-ray release from Lionsgate
View attachment 522353
Canada
Mondo X 2015 Best Buy Blu-ray steelbook exclusive releases from Mongrel Media is also using the 2015 transfer

View attachment 522354 View attachment 522355
One could argue that the 4k UHD is still the best available version. The use of the DNR'd 3D master is a ridiculous and tragic mistake. But the underlying transfer under all the filtering is pretty great - it was just botched in the end and is such a wasted opportunity.
However, that doesn't make certain older blu-rays necessarily the better option. Check out a comparison of screen caps with the 2015 disc. The less DNR'd blue might indeed be more "pleasing" to watch; but the 4k still has more detail and better colors.

• Thanks
Reactions: Masta Norris
Watching in 3D it's looks good
It was remastered for a 3D release as that was the main purpose of the fillm getting a re-release in cinemas

It was the 3D remastered transfer that was used for the 4K releases it has extra DNR used with the 4K UHD encoding

The 2015 USA/Canada Blu-ray releases is best version in terms of transfer watching in 2D

The 2015 USA/Canada Blu-ray releases is best version in terms of transfer watching in 2D
Any reason for that release specifically Paul? I don't have that one, but I do have the blu-ray from the 2016 novamedia steelbook, which I think may be essentially the same.

I've also got the "ultimate edition" from the FAC steelbook, and I have a feeling the transfer may be the same there too. Except it's a newer disc, with only that cut, and it's got a 7.1 track.