Notes: Glow in the Dark - 3 Discs

12269684-1074701227487039.jpg

51QPfM+m6SL._AC_SY400_.jpg
12269684-8824701227892366.jpg

Last edited:
Look like there could be trouble ahead

FilmArena not happy

Jan just posted this to me on Facebook

Dear Paul, you are right about the rights to the movie and distribution, but the copyright to our concept of this SteelBook (approved by STUDIO CANAL) belongs to us and we have not provided it to any third party yet. That is why it is rational to think that we should be at least informed what was going on with our creation. Under these circumstances, we have asked the producer of SteelBooks and also STUDIO CANAL to explain the situation. We are very sorry, but we have agreed with our law agency not to share any further information to this case until the investigation has been finished.

Thank you for understanding. Jan for Team FA

FilmArena not happy

Dear Paul, you are right about the rights to the movie and distribution, but the copyright to our concept of this SteelBook (approved by STUDIO CANAL) belongs to us and we have not provided it to any third party yet. That is why it is rational to think that we should be at least informed what was going on with our creation. Under these circumstances, we have asked the producer of SteelBooks and also STUDIO CANAL to explain the situation. We are very sorry, but we have agreed with our law agency not to share any further information to this case until the investigation has been finished.

the studio owns everything. im sure nothing will come of this unless there was a clause in the contract about what happens if the studio sells the WEA design to the rest of the world lol

Last edited:

FilmArena not happy

thats kinda funny as they themselves basicly took the novamedia steelbook and made some lousy additions which made the overall steelbook a failure

Hopefully something does come of this. They have basically devalued FA premium t2 to just about nothing. Same thing could happen to any release if this sets the tone. Studio canal CEO is a douche.

Reactions: MM3
I don't think i give a crap tbh. Its about time we got a decent T2 steelbook release in Europe all designs over the last 10 years have been god awful.

Reactions: Greyback
the studio owns everything. im sure nothing will come of this unless there was a clause in the contract about what happens if the studio sells the WEA design to the rest of the world lol

not that easy I believe. Yes the studio owns the rights of movie, but it's FA employees who worked on the design. So depending what was written in the contract, the studio might not have the right to use something that was made by a 3rd party.

Look at the John Wick 3 Steelbook (France and Benelux front artwork), the poster was made by a 3rd party artist (who actually used images from John Wick 2) and the studio paid the artist to use these as official posters, if I am correct.

I'm not saying FA are the good guys here, it really depends what was written in the contract when FA asked to make a Terminator 2 release.

Reactions: DMD4k
not that easy I believe. Yes the studio owns the rights of movie, but it's FA employees who worked on the design. So depending what was written in the contract, the studio might not have the right to use something that was made by a 3rd party.

Look at the John Wick 3 Steelbook (France and Benelux front artwork), the poster was made by a 3rd party artist (who actually used images from John Wick 2) and the studio paid the artist to use these as official posters, if I am correct.

I'm not saying FA are the good guys here, it really depends what was written in the contract when FA asked to make a Terminator 2 release.
the artwork is not made by fac tho.. they just added bossing and the gitd effect, which everyone wants to be removed... i dont understand why they make such a fuss over this..

100%

I personally think (and the same with manta kingsman and dp2 - although that could be a simple case of the rights had ended and they didn’t realise/ or got around it with different finishes) that jan has jumped the gun and not realised what’s in the terms and conditions. He’s released 100s of Steel packages so something like ‘it can released in Other territories’ could of easily been overlooked

Or studio canal have fuccccked up and will pull the zavvi and German listings eventually

Who knows

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: DMD4k
the artwork is not made by fac tho.. they just added bossing and the gitd effect, which everyone wants to be removed... i dont understand why they make such a fuss over this..

the design is not only the artwork. It's the whole thing: the choice of artwork, the bossing, the finish etc etc.

Reactions: Flloydo
the design is not only the artwork. It's the whole thing: the choice of artwork, the bossing, the finish etc etc.
yes, i understand... but its common to pay the artist for the use of their artwork, not for bossing or additional effects someone has generically added to artwork which is most likely owned by the studio.. i guess its within their rights to ask them not to use it, but if you ask me, they didnt add overly much anyways.. everyone would probably be happier with a flat glossy steelbook

yes, i understand... but its common to pay the artist for the use of their artwork, not for bossing or additional effects someone has generically added to artwork which is most likely owned by the studio.. i guess its within their rights to ask them not to use it, but if you ask me, they didnt add overly much anyways.. everyone would probably be happier with a flat glossy steelbook

But here, we are not judging the artwork. The thing that FA worked on is not the art, but the item itself: the Steelbook. The Steelbook design was made by Filmarena, it's their team who chose the art, worked on the bossing, chose the finish etc. It's probably Filmarena who dealt with Scanavo, Studiocanal probably not doing anything else than approving the use of the posters/images for the front, back and inside. Yes the art is a property of Studiocanal, but the final result (the Steelbook) isn't. And I think that's what causing issues here. But again, it really depends what was written on the contract.