The Bourne Identity - 20th Anniversary (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
Release date: June 6, 2022
Purchase link: Zavvi
Price: £34.99

13791445-1974958396092698.jpg

13791445-4204958396146929.jpg
13791445-2054958396219022.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the transfer really as bad as they say on this? Still holding out for a good transfer as the films are great.

There's not any info about this being new transfer so most likely it's same transfer as before. Best thing you can do is to wait for someone to confirm it from first hand when they get it.
But most likely since there are no info this is old transfer.

There's not any info about this being new transfer so most likely it's same transfer as before. Best thing you can do is to wait for someone to confirm it from first hand when they get it.
But most likely since there are no info this is old transfer.
What was actually wrong with the old transfer?
Hard to judge if you not aware of what was wrong

Nothing really wrong, just not as good, as it could be.
It's like early 2006-08 Blu-rays with a DVD master, or early 1997-2002 DVDs with Laserdisc transfers.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: TGO

Here's why.
It doesn't require a careful comparison to The Bourne Identity's 1080p Blu-ray counterpart (included here on disc two and simply a repress of the original disc, VC-1 encode and all; that goes for all of the four legacy Bourne films jumping to the UHD format) to notice that something's off about the movie's UHD transfer. It's insanely dreary, dull, and flat. Grain is thinned out, details are pasty, edge enhancement is obvious in places...it's hardly what anyone would reasonably expect of an A-list movie, shot on film, and released to the UHD format from a major studio, particularly when it's banking on a tie-in to a new movie's's release. Really, it's just ugly. But doing due diligence (after plenty of head-scratching but, thankfully, no retching) and comparing this UHD to the original Blu-ray does show just how radically different it looks, so much so it's almost like watching an entirely different movie. Usually, at the most basic, HDR coloring subtly enhances the palette, allowing for improved saturation and nuance. Here, the movie is practically wiped of color. It's heavily pushed towards a tired gray, with all but the most basic color washed right out. There's no vibrancy of any sort, no pop or punch. Detailing might be improved by a smidgen with the boost in resolution. Clothes look -- arguably -- a hair more refined and organic, a tad more complex on the surface, but that's about it. Faces, environments, nothing, really, appears appreciably more natural or nuanced. It's clear that Universal hasn't done anything but slap an old, dated transfer onto the UHD disc and randomly dialed up some change in contrast and called it a day. Shame

This is one of worst 4K transfers.

• Helpful Post
Does this actually come with all the extra things in the picture above. Because it has no mention of it on the zavvi page.

Does this actually come with all the extra things in the picture above. Because it has no mention of it on the zavvi page.
It does mention it on Zavvi website

Racing to unlock the secret of his own identity, amnesiac operative Jason Bourne discovers the deadly truth: he’s the government’s number one target, a $30 million weapon it no longer trusts. Academy Award® winner Matt Damon stars in this super-charged, thrill-a-minute spectacular loaded with non-stop action!

20th Anniversary Limited Edition Gift Set includes Steelbook, Map, Classified Files, Combat Cards, ID Badge & Jason Bourne Passport.

Bonus Features/strong>

• The Ludlum Identity
  • The Ludlum Supremacy
  • The Ludlum Ultimatum
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Alternate Opening And Alternate Ending
  • Extended Farmhouse Scene
  • The Birth Of The Bourne Identity
  • The Bourne Mastermind: Robert Ludlum
aaaa.jpg

I
It does mention it on Zavvi website

Racing to unlock the secret of his own identity, amnesiac operative Jason Bourne discovers the deadly truth: he’s the government’s number one target, a $30 million weapon it no longer trusts. Academy Award® winner Matt Damon stars in this super-charged, thrill-a-minute spectacular loaded with non-stop action!

20th Anniversary Limited Edition Gift Set includes Steelbook, Map, Classified Files, Combat Cards, ID Badge & Jason Bourne Passport.

Bonus Features/strong>

• The Ludlum Identity
  • The Ludlum Supremacy
  • The Ludlum Ultimatum
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Alternate Opening And Alternate Ending
  • Extended Farmhouse Scene
  • The Birth Of The Bourne Identity
  • The Bourne Mastermind: Robert Ludlum
View attachment 533743
I stand corrected.

Nothing really wrong, just not as good, as it could be.
It's like early 2006-08 Blu-rays with a DVD master, or early 1997-2002 DVDs with Laserdisc transfers.
Here's why.

This is one of worst 4K transfers.
Thanks, I mean it was a rough gritty looking film to begin with with muted colours.
But I can see what you mean, the real question is does the studio think there's anything wrong with it :shipped:
Guess I'll find out soon...

Thanks, I mean it was a rough gritty looking film to begin with with muted colours.
Exactly, I think it's pretty faithful to how it looked in theaters. People are so obsessed with brightness and colors nowadays - every newer screen has got to have higher peak brightness - they want eye burning clown colors everywhere. HDR hikes brightness on any screen supporting it to 100% by default, and I hate that. I also feel its colors 90% of the time look fake and interpolated, like layered on, or exaggerated.
Now I'm not a fan of the dull "Theater" or "Cinema" presets on TVs either, it seems they are two extremes. Something happened to 'normal', the word itself almost became an expletive. :sick:

Last edited:
Reactions: MM3 and TGO
As for the worse 4k transfer, that has to go to Van Wilder.
I mean it's better then the Blu-ray and it's definitely 4k but It doesn't even have HDR :shipped:

I can confirm it's the 2016 disc
It's better then the Blu-ray, that for sure
Colour is more vibrant, details are slightly higher
But everything that was wrong with the Blu-ray transfer is present in the 4k transfer.
The meeting with Ward & Alexander while notably more detailed is still muddy even for 1080p standards
There are moments it reaches 4k clarity, but that's far and few between
Overall it's the same transfer from the Blu-ray but in a higher resolution & with HDR.
it remains to be seen if a new scan would make any difference but until they do I guess we won't know.

• Informative
Reactions: C.C. 95
I can confirm it's the 2016 disc
It's better then the Blu-ray, that for sure
Colour is more vibrant, details are slightly higher
But everything that was wrong with the Blu-ray transfer is present in the 4k transfer.
The meeting with Ward & Alexander while notably more detailed is still muddy even for 1080p standards
There are moments it reaches 4k clarity, but that's far and few between
Overall it's the same transfer from the Blu-ray but in a higher resolution & with HDR.
it remains to be seen if a new scan would make any difference but until they do I guess we won't know.
It was shot on film - so a new scan would make a huge difference.