Slipbox The Boy and The Beast (Blu-ray Slipbox)(Plain Archive Exclusive No.27) [Korea]

Mar 21, 2013
South Korea
Release date: July 12, 2016
Purchase links:
Dual Pack (Still Alice + The Boy and The Beast)
The Boy and The Beast
Price: $68.00 (Dual Pack) - $37.79 (Individual) - Pre-order on June 17th, Friday, 4PM Korea Time
Note: Buzz Pictures + Plain Archive. 1,500 Limited Print Run

13391391_896076817203468_69965056122136562_o.jpg

13466371_529224523945443_3929942063555325104_n.jpg
12795358_837100376434446_5107450095234203692_n.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Did PLAIN design the original Japanese collector's edition as well? Type A is exactly the same as that except the titles are in Korean. If they didn't, I don't see how they can be credited with the design...

Sad there isn't going to be any english subs but I really don't want there to be a single missing film in my plain collection so I'll still be trying to grab it.

4pm Korean time is 3am Eastern Standard right?

Personally think PA's approach to this one is quite poor. Totally understand they want to cater to their own market with this release and the lack of english subs only diminishes interest to a large portion of collectors - but there are surely more than 100 people outside of Korea who would want this edition regardless. Perhaps I should think even 100 copies is lucky when they could have effectively sold none to overseas buyers, but when you have other Korean retailers selling Type A to the world anyways I just think why make such a distinction when you know your label has a keen international collector pool. On top of that, nobody outside of east asia could possibly speak japanese or read hangul subs? :confused: A bigger split would have been nice... even if the overseas quantity hadn't sold through they could always just filter it through their domestic channels down the line.

In saying all this I'm going to try and get one of course but I'm worried they'll be gone in 2 seconds flat. :cautious:

Last edited:
They don't have the rights to English subtitles. Presumably, they cannot feature English elsewhere.

PA has told me before that Japanese studios are extremely difficult when licensing English subs in non-English territories. Especially Korea.

This is not the fault of PA. This is the studio's fault.

The sticker is really nice as usual, but I'm actually kinda disappointed with the final products. You get PLAIN to design your package and you end with what are essentially ports of the original Japanese editions but with Korean text. I know there's a lot of factors to consider like studio approval and what the client's asked for, but why get PLAIN when you don't want something unique?

Here are pics of both Japanese editions. Even the standard edition is a digipack (check out that lovely concept art behind the disc trays). I own the Japanese releases for all of Hosoda's other movies, and I never managed to get the PLAIN designed Korean release of Wolf Children, so I might sit this one out. I can't believe the first PLAIN release I'll voluntarily choose not to pick up will be for a movie I actually want :(

Cb8jm6fUYAIOPrV.jpg
Cb8jm-WUAAAcquc.jpg

Last edited:
Dual pack for me, too. I watched it yesterday (I wasn't familiar with this movie or any other work by Hosoda) and loved it. The lack of english subtitles is a pity, but this edition was too beautiful to be missed.

just for hardcore PA or The Boy and the Beast Fans..
interested to see how fast this edition is sold in korea

Reactions: rodtp
I ordered a dual pack ... phew! I had no idea about the go-live day. Lucky I've checked my email and found PA release date/time reminder.