The Bridge on the River Kwai (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release Date: 11th January 2016
Purchase Link: Zavvi (Live Sunday 22nd Nov at 6pm UK time)
Price: £12.99
Limited to 1,000
11200505-6924343606208615.jpg

Last edited:
You can tell they don't have much hope for a steelbook when Zavvi put it up for £12.99..
All the recent new pop art steelbooks have been £12.99 (€18.75) with Zavvi
They are actually cheaper to get from Italy €8.99-€9.99 Euro and Germany €9.99 Euro

I think it's great that for people (like me) who only wish to buy UK steelbooks they are nice steelbooks lovely art and for in the UK well priced at only £12.99

(Please let's not get into a UK/foreign steelbook debate, what people want to do is up to them, I only wish to buy UK steelbooks others don't that's cool)

Reactions: paulboland
I love these pop art steelbooks, funny artwork bit different than the boring generic film posters we have seen over and over :thumbs:

Reactions: Noodles
Film buffs like me want the film posters, Give me a proper cover and I would have bought it like a shot. I would like to know how many of these steelbooks stay unsold because fans of cinema like me won't touch them under any circumstances. Are they just trying to get around paying the studio for the licence of the movie image and fobbing this of on people like it's high art. Compare the blu-fan Chinese Lawrence of Arabia to the recent pop art cover. No contest. The Chinese one worth every cent of the $65 I paid. Wouldn't pay 1 penny for the dire European version.

I love these pop art steelbooks, funny artwork bit different than the boring generic film posters we have seen over and over :thumbs:

Boring generic film posters?
I didn't realise the bride on the river Kwai had so many steelbook releases?!

FYI this is cheaper outside the UK
Lol

Just spotted this and ordered.
Easily my favourite David Lean epic though not my favourite David Lean film.
:happy:

Since David Lean is my favourite director, your comments have me intrigued.

For me, "Lawrence of Arabia" is both his magnum opus, as well as being one of the greatest films of all time. In his canon of works, I would follow it with "Doctor Zhivago" and "The Bridge on the River Kwai", all epics. Then would come the two Dickens adaptations, "Great Expectations" and "Oliver Twist". As regards "Ryan's Daughter" and "A Passage to India", they are seriously flawed, although still worthy of an occasional airing to see a master craftsman at work. Even below par Lean is superior to the best efforts of many other directors.

It's all a matter of individual taste, of course, so I'd be interested to read your own personal ranking of Lean's oeuvre, given the content of your post.

My pleasure and David Lean films in order of preference are:-
(1) "Blithe Spirit"
(2) "Great Expectations"
(3) "Brief Encounter"
(4) "The Bridge on the River Kwai"
(Blu-ray films watched over the week-end:-
(1) "Seconds" (1966) Eureka MOC No.122 (2) "The Swimmer" (1968) Grindhouse Releasing Region Free U.S. Import (3) "Sullivan's Travels" (1941) Arrow Academy).
(1) "Bullitt" (1968) (2) "Night of the Hunter" (1955) Arrow Academy and (3) "Cold Fish" (2010) Third Window Films - Japanese language/English subs).
(1) "The Bishop's Wife" (1947) U.S. Import Region Free (2) "The Jungle Book" (1967) Disney Classics No.19 Diamond Edition and (3) "Imitation of Life" (1959) U.S. Region Free Import 2-Film Collection - including the 1934 version).

Last edited: