The Ebay Seller/Policies Discussion Thread

Apr 26, 2012
UK,south yorkshire
Q) What is the purpose of this thread?
A) To discuss Ebay policies/issues

Q) Where can i find the Ebay Presale Policy?
A) Click HERE

Q) Can a HDN Trade mod help me with an Ebay sale/trade issue? Also why is there no 'ebay bad traders' list?
A) Simply put, no. To find out why, ensure you read the following spoiler:
please use this thread as a RESOURCE to ask your fellow members about problems you've had with a reseller or questions about e-bay.

do NOT use this thread to attack or refute other members. if you an e-bay dispute with a member here, perhaps it's best to approach a trading mod before posting? we don't police e-bay, but maybe we can give you a tip or two.

if members ignore these suggestions, then the thread might be locked for a couple of weeks.

thank you.

hey folks,

as a reminder what myself (and other mods) have continued to mention via private message, e-mail and other areas. we do NOT police other trading marketplaces like ebay, youtube, amazon and the rest.

there is ONLY a certain amount of information at our disposal and we do not have the resources in these other locations as we do on this forum - things that we can look at and evaluate.

having said that, there are trading rules on this forum that have been instituted for your own protection for trading transactions that happen HERE.

this includes the pending / active sales threads, the requirement of feedback posted for any new traders, our support ticketing system, the active investigations held by trading moderators and many other things we do not discuss openly.

we have long held that problems occurring on these other forums and marketplaces should be taken the appropriate authorities on THOSE websites.

many of you are established traders here on this forum and you should know all about the guidelines that are stickied in this section - including having new traders send first, getting tracking from the other party and proof of shipment, and what other precautions can be taken to protect your trading safety.

trading via ebay and their messaging system is against their stated policy and should not occur - and there are reasons why they have created that policy. you don't have protection of paypal or their listing system as a buyer or seller.

having said that, if there is trouble with an ebay seller or buyer, you should go to their website and report it there. if you are not aware of this process, follow the below link for more information.

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/buy/report-trading.html

so folks can feel free to chat about a seller or buyer that they are having problems with, but I can tell you right now - there will not be a "witch hunt" by moderators or staff based on one person's account of the problems or trouble they are having - and we limit the action taken for or against members here to transactions that occurred on this forum.

as stated in the thread title of our bad traders list - that list is for FORUM MEMBERS ONLY.

thank you.
Q) Where can i find the HDN Buyer Beware / Bad Traders list?
A) You can find the thread HERE

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys,

At the moment i am really pissed:angry: would appreciate some help and ideas.

anybody have any dealings with an idiot on ebay called blufan84 from Germany?

I sold him my Iron man media markt sealed nearly 2 weeks ago. At first he was all nice asking if the package could be declared £10 for custom reasons also requested good packaging. I did every thing he requested also i noticed he was also selling an Iron man media markt on his ebay site.

I had a gut feeling with this idiot however i ignored it.(always trust your gut instinct). 2 weeks later he emails me that he hasn't received the package. I checked the tracking details and it states the item was received on 19/10/12 and signed for.

I email him with the tracking information he replies back what name and address did i send the package to. i replied back i sent the package to the name that is linked to his paypal address.

i dont hear from him after that until today i notice he has opened a case stating item was not as described and totally crushed when it was delivered and i didn't pack it as he requested.

What is the procedure on paypal with a dispute like this.... Is it worth fighting?

I presumed you took a photograph of the package before dispatch to show it was packed well? Tracking shows its delivered so he can't claim lost package which he tried to do. Ask him for photo's of the damage and the packaging? If he shows you a real damage steel it could be the damaged one he already owns to make a claim against you.

I've not dealt with them gbdragon but it does sound a little suspect.

Firstly get photo proof of the damage

Secondly, just out of interest, did their ebay listing for it sell and go through do you know? If it did then it might suggest that they are trying it on but can't be 100% sure, could just back up a hunch if you reckon they are making false claims

gbdragon, of course you fight it. Provide picture of tracking information and pictures of the package that you sent to him to eBay. Tell eBay that you request for him to send picture of the package and damage with his username on it for proof. My guess is that he'll need to send the package back to you WITH tracking at his own expenses for eBay to refund him. And then you'll need to make a claim with your local post office. Unfortunately, it's a lot of headache and time consuming. In the end, he's going to lose money because he needs to pay shipping with tracking back to you...that's going to be a lot for him (which is good...make him pay).

Since you declared £10, then that's all you can get in return from the post office. You learn from this...never do that again.

And yep, he can take a picture of his original damage Iron Man and claim that you sent him that one...nothing you can do or fight it...just wait until karma bites him back 10x harder if he's lying.

Good luck.

Since you declared £10, then that's all you can get in return from the post office.

Incorrect, what we declare on the customs value has nothing to do with the claim against the post office.

I can declare on custom value for £20 for say a £200 item. If it was insured for £200 and the item is damaged I can claim against the post office for £200. The declaration doesnt affect the claim value.

---------- Post added at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 PM ----------

At first he was all nice asking if the package could be declared £10 for custom reasons

Why is he asking this to be declared for £10 customs? Germany is part of the EU, we don't need to complete custom declaration or any paperwork. EU doesn't get custom charges. Did you complete a customs label?

Gb if he sends you a damaged one back they he may off had he will get a refund from paypal it as happened to me before there is so many dishonest people on ebay and forums it really puts me off selling sometimes.

That's false LOL....I have gone through this already in the USA :D

Anyhow, I won't go further to discuss...if you don't believe me...contact the United States Postal Service :)

They will pay for your custom value....even if the the item is 1 million dollars.

never lie on the custom form because it's illegal. And you'll be guilty if you are trying to fight for the actual cost when you posted that the value of the item in the custom is not the same.

It's very basic logic...

For example, let me send a $10 painting to my friend in Asia and insure it for $10,000 LOL...and then said it was lost...and let me claim $10,000 :)

Incorrect, what we declare on the customs value has nothing to do with the claim against the post office.

I can declare on custom value for £20 for say a £200 item. If it was insured for £200 and the item is damaged I can claim against the post office for £200. The declaration doesnt affect the claim value.

---------- Post added at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 PM ----------

Why is he asking this to be declared for £10 customs? Germany is part of the EU, we don't need to complete custom declaration or any paperwork. EU doesn't get custom charges. Did you complete a customs label?

Last edited:
What is the procedure on paypal with a dispute like this.... Is it worth fighting?

don't refund him anything until you receive the item back. Tell him you'll accept a return, but must send it back to you. (ebay will force you to do this anyway).

ebay states that if the buyer can't prove they shipped it back after a reasonable amount of time and if the buyer has not provided a tracking number on the return, call ebay and ask them to close the case.

a little loophole that not many people know about.

second, if the buyer does send it back, and you receive something back besides the item you sent, document the package fully and appeal the ebay case.

You should probably read the ebay help pages if you haven't already.

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/seller-protection-faq.html#How%20does%20eBay%20review%20significantly%20not%20as%20described%20cases?

Reactions: lolwut
I presumed you took a photograph of the package before dispatch to show it was packed well? Tracking shows its delivered so he can't claim lost package which he tried to do. Ask him for photo's of the damage and the packaging? If he shows you a real damage steel it could be the damaged one he already owns to make a claim against you.

Sunny,

When i deal with Hidef ninjas i always take pictures and upload them on the thread. When i sell on ebay i dont tend to take pictures i just quickly check the feedback of the customer and go from there.

I have responded on paypal stating that i want pictures of the damage package and product for proof to open a case with Royal Mail.

il wait for him to reply back.

A good point was made by Mayflower i should request the pictures he sends should have a date in the background which will confirm if its my sealed Iron man.

---------- Post added at 10:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 PM ----------

don't refund him anything until you receive the item back. Tell him you'll accept a return, but must send it back to you. (ebay will force you to do this anyway).

ebay states that if the buyer can't prove they shipped it back after a reasonable amount of time and if the buyer has not provided a tracking number on the return, call ebay and ask them to close the case.

a little loophole that not many people know about.

second, if the buyer does send it back, and you receive something back besides the item you sent, document the package fully and appeal the ebay case.

You should probably read the ebay help pages if you haven't already.

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/seller-protection-faq.html#How%20does%20eBay%20review%20significantly%20not%20as%20described%20cases?

Apsmith,

Thank you for the info however the buyer opened the case with paypal and not ebay.

Do paypal work differently?

Anyhow, I won't go further to discuss...if you don't believe me...contact the United States Postal Service :)

They will pay for your custom value....even if the the item is 1 million dollars.

never lie on the custom form because it's illegal. And you'll be guilty if you are trying to fight for the actual cost when you posted that the value of the item in the custom is not the same.

The claim is against Royal Mail, not what's on the label, I already discussed this with my local office already. If you send Royal Mail airsure the claim is against Royal Mail. I won't further discuss with you either, if you don't believe me contact Royal Mail :)

The difference is your sending from the USA, I'm not.

Actually, the rules differ between the USPS and the Royal Mail service.

Thats how USPS works, but not everyone else.

http://www.royalmail.com/customer-service/personal-customers/refunds-and-compensation/claims-process

BTW, If you insure through a third party and not usps they don't care about customs value either. ;)

Hang in there...don't stress out about it... Since the case is open, eBay is just playing the middle man right now. They will get involved only if the case is escalated. The good thing is that you have proof that it was delivered. He'll need to send it back to you if he wants a refund. Don't mention to him about providing tracking back to you. Let him send it back to you whatever method he wants. And if you don't get it back within a reasonable time, then you can tell eBay that you never received it back from him...and then case is closed if he can't provide proof :scat: If he's smart, then he'll ship it back with tracking...otherwise, karma is going to bite him right there :)

A good point was made by Mayflower i should request the pictures he sends should have a date in the background which will confirm if its my sealed Iron man.

Apsmith,

Thank you for the info however the buyer opened the case with paypal and not ebay.

Do paypal work differently?

:(

From my experience with Germany, yes.

All he has to do is to prove he sent it back to get his refund. This is how people pulled off the empty box trick.

He can send you anything back, like a pencil and he gets a refund. :rolleyes:

Maybe its changed recently, but thats accurate of a few months ago.

Ebay USA will force the buyer to go through ebay and not paypal, but thats not made its way everywhere yet... :(

I actually found it strange at the time he specifically requested he wanted £10 or $20 declared with clearly marking item as being a DVD MOVIE.

He stated in his email the Tax was high in Germany etc etc... to be honest it didn't make sense to me as i knew EU you don't need customs slip.

In conclusion, contact your own region postal service since it differs for each country :D I thought gbdragon was from the USA...my bad.

adding blufan84 to my banned list on eBay :)

Actually, the rules differ between the USPS and the Royal Mail service.

Thats how USPS works, but not everyone else.

http://www.royalmail.com/customer-service/personal-customers/refunds-and-compensation/claims-process

BTW, If you insure through a third party and not usps they don't care about customs value either. ;)

Last edited:
GB,

What I be worried about is if he sends the item back it is NOT yours. I seen your packaging, it is very good, I find it very hard to believe it was damaged through the post.

If he does return the steel to you I strongly believe he would send you:
- A defected IM that is NOT yours
- Something completely different

If he does send you a defected IM that is not yours then you will have to prove to paypal that is not the IM you sent. This is why it's a good idea to photograph your packages like you do with HDN to evidence the excellent packaging and the mint pictures you have of IM.

It may be worth doing a video unboxing when his package is returned to show that you opened the sealed package to evidence what he has returned as well. This will help fight off the case if he sends nothing but a box of chocolates!

Hang in there...don't stress out about it... Since the case is open, eBay is just playing the middle man right now. They will get involved only if the case is escalated. The good thing is that you have proof that it was delivered. He'll need to send it back to you if he wants a refund. Don't mention to him about providing tracking back to you. Let him send it back to you whatever method he wants. And if you don't get it back within a reasonable time, then you can tell eBay that you never received it back from him...and then case is closed if he can't provide proof :scat: If he's smart, then he'll ship it back with tracking...otherwise, karma is going to bite him right there :)

Thanks MayFlower for the advice.

I will wait and see what he replies back to my request of the pictures.

To be honest from previous experience ebay and paypal tend to favour buyers over sellers. I will probably receive a damaged Irom man or something else from him and there's nothing i can do to fight my corner because he has provided a tracking number.

All i can do is refund his money pray that he doesn't leave negative feedback and then BLOCK him and move on.

PS. This was the opening line on his case:

Artikel wurde ursprünglich als nicht erhalten

markiert in der Mail ! Jetzt Artikel angekommen !

Vollkommen zerbeult, das Metall eingedrückt und Kratzer aufgrund mangelnder Verpackung !

Sehr schade !

Google translate:

Product was not originally obtained as marked in the mail! Noew arrived!

Completely dented,pushed the metal and scratches due to lack of packaging!

What a pity!

Last edited: